Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,243 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing summers here are warm enough for King Palms because there are a few gardens in my area where they are growing. We don't get much frost at all, infact the last major frost was in 2005 I believe. Since then any frost has been light and only one or twice a year.

this is just near my place

Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times
I believe that coconut palm can grow on.the immediate coast of Southern California cuz it never gets to freezing but they need extensive watering due to ZERO RAIN for six months a year- coconut palms are native to tropical climates with lots of warm rain and Los Angeles is arid but temperate.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Adrianna, coconuts on the SoCal coast never last long-with the exception of one in Newport Beach-because the temperatures are simply never warm enough, except in summer. The cold ocean current off of SoCal makes the conditions foggy and windy much of the time, so the coconut doesn't get enough sun. It is also so dry, and much of the time (winter-spring consecutively), daytime temperatures do not get warm enough to support the palm. In addition, nighttime temperatures are chilly all-year round. Any coconut able to survive will be very slow-growing and won't produce any fruit.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I believe that coconut palm can grow on.the immediate coast of Southern California cuz it never gets to freezing but they need extensive watering due to ZERO RAIN for six months a year- coconut palms are native to tropical climates with lots of warm rain and Los Angeles is arid but temperate.

Coconut palms need average soil temperatures above 60F, or the roots die. As long as the soil temp stays above 60F, doesn't really matter if summer temps hover between 63 and 70 all year long. They will probably grow really slowly, but they won't die.

LA in winter the soil temps drop below 60F. Same for San Diego.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
No, they are King Palms, also known as Alexander Palms.
Australian native palms? Very very common in Brisbane. Somewhat in Newcastle.

the other palm is just a Cocos palm (aka queen palm) from south America

Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
I'm guessing summers here are warm enough for King Palms because there are a few gardens in my area where they are growing. We don't get much frost at all, infact the last major frost was in 2005 I believe. Since then any frost has been light and only one or twice a year.

this is just near my place
Great photo. I never thought Victoria could look like that.

The palms look very thin, as if being slightly choked. I notice that it is because of average temps and palms are correspondingly stouter in Newcastle and more so in Brisbane.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 AM

Coconuts grow with ease throughout Queensland's gold coast and brisbane's eastern suburbs btw

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Yes those palms are Archontophoenix, probably cunninghamiana the 'Bangalow Palm'. Archontophoenix alexandrae, the 'King Palm' are almost identical except they have silver undersides to the fronds. King palms are slightly more tender too, although they can be easily grown in LA...

Bangalow palms grow very easily in Melbourne, as long as they are kept well watered, a friend of mine has some huge ones in his garden in Wantirna...

I also had a few Bangalow palms growing in my garden for several years, until they were killed by the cold winter of 2010. A mature specimen grew on Tresco too until 1987, so they are very tolerant of cool weather & can take a couple of degrees of frost...

Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Adrianna, coconuts on the SoCal coast never last long-with the exception of one in Newport Beach-because the temperatures are simply never warm enough, except in summer. The cold ocean current off of SoCal makes the conditions foggy and windy much of the time, so the coconut doesn't get enough sun. It is also so dry, and much of the time (winter-spring consecutively), daytime temperatures do not get warm enough to support the palm. In addition, nighttime temperatures are chilly all-year round. Any coconut able to survive will be very slow-growing and won't produce any fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Coconut palms need average soil temperatures above 60F, or the roots die. As long as the soil temp stays above 60F, doesn't really matter if summer temps hover between 63 and 70 all year long. They will probably grow really slowly, but they won't die.

LA in winter the soil temps drop below 60F. Same for San Diego.
From what I understand (I no expert, though) your both correct:

Not only is the ground too cold in southern Califorina in winter, but winter days are too cold for them to ever do well. I've seen coconut palms for years in southern Florida, and we have one at our home north of Miami. Once you get far enough north, around Jupiter, where daytime highs fall below 75 F....you see far less conconut palms. The winter highs in both LA and San diego are only in the mid 60's....and the normal lows at night in the upper 40's F, too cold for coconut to last long.

There is one in Newport Beach, CA (has been in the news before), but it is stunnted (only about 10 feet tall) and will never fruit of course. Healthy coconuts look like this, I took these in FT. Lauderdale this last year, some of them were close to 80 - 100 feet tall abnd they all had 20 to 25 coconuts on them:

Last edited by wavehunter007; 04-24-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Great photo. I never thought Victoria could look like that.

The palms look very thin, as if being slightly choked. I notice that it is because of average temps and palms are correspondingly stouter in Newcastle and more so in Brisbane.
It's possible to grow many palm species in Melbourne and parts of Vic with warm enough summers and minimal frost. Queen palms are common everywhere.

Here's a few scenes from Mildura clearly showing these bangalow palms. It's a semi arid region and gets frost a few times in winter but days are quite mild (average July high about 16C) and summers are hot and sunny.

and a huge collection of Queen Palms

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather