Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Living in England you pick up both systems fairly naturally (with more of a metric bias these days though) but the only thing I only understand metric for is atmospheric pressure: I know a typical imperial figure is 30-something inches of mercury, but that's as far as my understanding goes.
I also have picked up imperial better and can convert the numbers in my head but (sorry Americans) I do not like it at all. I still can't relate to it and 70,80,90 sounds meaningless to me as well as freezing being a random number like "32". It just sounds silly. Like when I was about 7 years old my sister's friend was on holiday in the USA, she got back and told her about it and my sister then said to me "oh claire said it was 100 degrees in america" (thinking she was using celsius) and I said "no it wasn't, the sea would have been boiling".

To me celsius is simple:

0, freezing
10, cool
20, mild
30, hot

Of course it's largely because I grew up using it. Well just an opinion anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I also have picked up imperial better and can convert the numbers in my head but (sorry Americans) I do not like it at all. I still can't relate to it and 70,80,90 sounds meaningless to me as well as freezing being a random number like "32". It just sounds silly. Like when I was about 7 years old my sister's friend was on holiday in the USA, she got back and told her about it and my sister then said to me "oh claire said it was 100 degrees in america" (thinking she was using celsius) and I said "no it wasn't, the sea would have been boiling".

To me celsius is simple:

0, freezing
10, cool
20, mild
30, hot

Exactly! I grew up using the imperial system, so I am used to it, but Celsius is so nice and it's based off of water, and Fahrenheit is based off of some guy

Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 PM

191 posts, read 163,670 times
Quote:

To me celsius is simple:

0, freezing
10, cool
20, mild
30, hot

I'm American, and no offense taken. It was the opposite for me, though. The difference in degrees on the Celsius scale always seemed deceptively small, and colder than it really was. Now, I like how the metric system is based on powers of 10. I like how weather.com and weather.gov give me the option to switch between degrees C and F. Reference points like this crystallize it in my mind:
Quote:
0, freezing
10, cool
20, mild
30, hot
That gives me an idea...

Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
I have no problem converting between the two. Whenever we are in the states they say the temp in f and everyone always asks me to convert it to c. Get it right everytime as I basically have a conversion chart memorized.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Your a guy too?!?! I god this is confusing!
I don't get this! Is my 'tune' feminine as well? I thought the few drunken rants would had set me off as a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What do people think I am?
Well, obviously you are a liberal guy from New England. A skinny geek. You don't have to be a fortune teller to say that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
We should have a weather forum party one day I bet no one is anything like we imagine them in real life.
We should! Like in western Norway where they never get thunderstorms! No, but really, we'd had to buy beers for half the bunch.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't get this! Is my 'tune' feminine as well? I thought the few drunken rants would had set me off as a guy.

Well, obviously you are a liberal guy from New England. A skinny geek. You don't have to be a fortune teller to say that...
Your name sounds a bit feminine. I think nei is exactly that geeky and skinny hahaha
I get the impression that Galaxyman is fat (no offence Aussie)

Old 04-30-2013, 01:04 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Your name sounds a bit feminine. I think nei is exactly that geeky and skinny hahaha
I get the impression that Galaxyman is fat (no offence Aussie)
Me too, always talks about junk food.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
I always got the impression that Patricius Maximus was an enormously fat nerd, something a bit like the Comic Book guy from the Simpsons but also with round glasses on.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
What about me? Peeps

(seriously off topic)

Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What do people think I am?
Male, late 20's, pale, skinny

What's you guys' idea of me? This is gonna be funny! No cheating from those who added me on FB...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather