Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:55 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Also what about south eastern Brazil? Eg Porto Alegre has a Cfa climate, but has June, July and September as the wettest months.
That's odd. Buenos Aires, which is farther south, has a slight summer rainfall bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 06:12 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
That's odd. Buenos Aires, which is farther south, has a slight summer rainfall bias.
I'm not sure what causes the pocket of winter rainfall bias around Porto Alegre, perhaps it is the alignment of the coastline in that region?

There is also a minor pocket of Cfa climate east of Cape Town in South Africa, that is a little too warm to count as Cfb and a little too wet to count as BSk but still has the winter-rainfall bias of the region. There are no large settlements there but here are some estimates for Witsand. Perhaps it is also caused by coastal alignment.

Map by Adam Peterson, Wikipedia:-

Old 09-08-2019, 01:47 AM

1,056 posts, read 725,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
...the lack of Humid Subtropical climates with a rainy winter as oppose to a rainy summer.
Actually, there is quite a big area of exactly what you're looking for. Much of the Upland South (unlike the Deep South) sees a slight trend towards winter/spring rain peaks instead of summer. Here's a good example, right in the middle of this "big area": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashvi...nessee#Climate

Can you grow Live Oak, Spanish Moss, etc.? No, but you can replace the Live Oak with a Southern Magnolia, and you could plant Pansies under it every winter and Needle Palms or Dwarf Palmettos once it gets big enough for shade instead of Spanish Moss. All those Crepemyrtle and Musa basjoo annoy me when they're deciduous and other things (hardy palms, Eastern Prickly Pear, yuccas) that ARE evergreens could easily be paired with those amazing magnolias instead.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 AM

895 posts, read 603,449 times
The "default" for east-coast humid subtropical climates is a summer peak if there were no large outside influences that would cause a winter peak. However, in practice even precip is also pretty common among east-coast humid subtropical climates. The US south has even precip due to the Gulf of Mexico giving more moisture in winter, for example. IMO other than Keelung the most clear example of a east-coast humid subtropical climate with more precip in winter is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto_Alegre#Climate. Some parts of the South such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little...kansas#Climate also work with varying precip patterns depending on the exact location.

If you want a very clear winter peak, some west-coast/Mediterranean influence would be necessary, giving way to climates like Batumi.

Another option is island climates that are both west-coast and east-coast at the same time, like Auckland or Easter Island.

Btw this really goes to show how unique Keelung (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keelung#Climate) is. Not only the sole East Asian climate with summer as the driest season but also rare for a fully east-coast style climate.

Personally I don't care much about precip pattern although an evenly distributed pattern would be optimal. I don't like climates with extreme precip for a short duration (e.g. Seoul) but even then it's not a huge problem.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:51 PM

524 posts, read 485,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I'm not sure what causes the pocket of winter rainfall bias around Porto Alegre, perhaps it is the alignment of the coastline in that region?

There is also a minor pocket of Cfa climate east of Cape Town in South Africa, that is a little too warm to count as Cfb and a little too wet to count as BSk but still has the winter-rainfall bias of the region. There are no large settlements there but here are some estimates for Witsand. Perhaps it is also caused by coastal alignment.

Map by Adam Peterson, Wikipedia:-
I saw another version of that map that had Cape Agulhas and most of the south coast as BSk/BSh. It supposedly used 1980-2016 climate data.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:08 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
I saw another version of that map that had Cape Agulhas and most of the south coast as BSk/BSh. It supposedly used 1980-2016 climate data.
something to keep in mind is this map maker uses the -3C isotherm, I wish there was some way to contact him/her and make a map using the 0C isotherm.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:07 PM

1,503 posts, read 913,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
something to keep in mind is this map maker uses the -3C isotherm, I wish there was some way to contact him/her and make a map using the 0C isotherm.
I can't see what difference that would make as nowhere (except maybe some mountaintops) in South Africa has mean monthly temperatures as low as freezing. Sutherland is usually given as the coldest town, with a mean of 5 C in June and July.

Old 02-20-2024, 01:22 PM

405 posts, read 82,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Well, technically, you're right. But determining a Med climate is more complicated than that.

By "Med influence", I meant that they have summers with rather low humidity or at least a month or two where rainfall is at around 40mm (if not lower), in contrast to their wetter winters (60mm+). Your climate (judging from Wiki) seems to be moderately humid all year round with equally distributed rainfall.

Nelson's second climate box (what you're referring to?) has a rather irregular rainfall pattern (perhaps because it only recorded 12 years of data). So, June gets 125mm whilst February gets 36mm. At the same time, July is drier than December by 60mm? If anything, it's like a Med climate gone wrong or something. At least my "Med influenced" climates have a slightly pronounced drier summer, wetter winter pattern, no?

I personally use the relative humidity as a criteria in determining what climates are Med-influenced and what are not. Yes, I am aware that the Mediterranean itself is very humid, but their virtually rainless summers do make up for it.

Incidentally, I've always been baffled by Bendigo's climate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendigo#Climate). Is it a transitional Med/Semi-arid climate, since it sees two summer months with rainfall below 40mm? It cannot be oceanic because the summers are too hot (mean is at 22C). And it does seem too dry for Cfa. I don't know...
It’s Cfa/BSk transitional.

Old 02-20-2024, 03:36 PM

405 posts, read 82,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Actually, there is quite a big area of exactly what you're looking for. Much of the Upland South (unlike the Deep South) sees a slight trend towards winter/spring rain peaks instead of summer. Here's a good example, right in the middle of this "big area": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashvi...nessee#Climate

Can you grow Live Oak, Spanish Moss, etc.? No, but you can replace the Live Oak with a Southern Magnolia, and you could plant Pansies under it every winter and Needle Palms or Dwarf Palmettos once it gets big enough for shade instead of Spanish Moss. All those Crepemyrtle and Musa basjoo annoy me when they're deciduous and other things (hardy palms, Eastern Prickly Pear, yuccas) that ARE evergreens could easily be paired with those amazing magnolias instead.
What about all, the evergreens the deciduous, all the hardy combined with the southern magnolias! Yep definitely there! Btw yes, in upland south you can grow Live oaks. Spanish moss don’t know yet, Zin Central Georgia they start to appear more naturally, I don’t know if when you reach Tennessee that would make them impossible to grow. Maybe not as naturally but maybe you can! In US most humid-subtropical places are broad, having a plain temperate native vegetation, but to make it exotic planting hardies and other plants would help.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:48 AM

399 posts, read 255,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
What about all, the evergreens the deciduous, all the hardy combined with the southern magnolias! Yep definitely there! Btw yes, in upland south you can grow Live oaks. Spanish moss don’t know yet, Zin Central Georgia they start to appear more naturally, I don’t know if when you reach Tennessee that would make them impossible to grow. Maybe not as naturally but maybe you can! In US most humid-subtropical places are broad, having a plain temperate native vegetation, but to make it exotic planting hardies and other plants would help.
You can grow Spanish moss in Tennessee, especially the Memphis area as that's zone 8a.

It's weird how Spanish moss manifests here in Augusta, little present in the residential areas but trees draped with it in the swampy areas.

The south has many different ecotypes relating to vegetation, there's the oak-hickory forests of the upper south, the southeastern conifer forests of the coastal plain/Florida, bald cypress swamps, and grasslands.
The piedmont, cities like Atlanta and Raliegh seems transitional between oak-hickory and southern pine.

I would have thought the southeastern pine forests would be labeled subtropical but it's actually lumped in with the conifer forests of the Pacific northwest, after all the Cuban pine forests are labeled tropical coniferous, seems very confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather