U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 AM

50 posts, read 141,143 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place that has low humidiy and yet isn't a complete desert. Does anyone know of such a place????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 AM

9,594 posts, read 25,720,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymaster View Post
I am looking for a place that has low humidiy and yet isn't a complete desert. Does anyone know of such a place????
To me, Raleigh N.C. has low humidity and doesn't look like a desert, but I figure you meant lower humidity than that.

How low? Do you like cool and damp? NorCal, Oregon, Washington

Any limits to how cold you'd accept it?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:51 AM

20,460 posts, read 24,515,991 times
Summer months in the Pacific Northwest have pretty low humidity (very low on the dry, desertlike Eastern side of the Cascades of course, but also fairly low on the lush green Western side as) Places like Seattle and Portland DO get pretty high humidity, but NOT generally during the summer. Our humidity peaks during the cooler time of the year (during the winter rains).

In the 30+ plus years I've lived in the Seattle area, the number of hot, humid days I've experienced can be counted on one hand.

Ken

Old 11-02-2007, 10:16 AM

20,005 posts, read 72,884,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
To me, Raleigh N.C. has low humidity and doesn't look like a desert,
lol Compared to what, Florida? NC has high humidity, most definitely.

Id recommend Colorado.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 AM

9,594 posts, read 25,720,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
lol Compared to what, Florida? NC has high humidity, most definitely.

Id recommend Colorado.
No, personal observation and perception.

Most afternoons are below 50% humidity inland and to me that feels a little dry. They also get more sunshine than I'm accustomed to which also helps make it feel dry. I guess I'm also comparing Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach, SC which to me has moderate humidity, making Myrtle Beach usually feel like the Caribbean does in winter.

*I was sort of kidding regarding advice to OP, but honestly for myself central NC is barely humid at all.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:15 AM

20,005 posts, read 72,884,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
No, personal observation and perception.

Most afternoons are below 50% humidity inland and to me that feels a little dry. They also get more sunshine than I'm accustomed to which also helps make it feel dry. I guess I'm also comparing Raleigh NC to Myrtle Beach, SC which to me has moderate humidity, making Myrtle Beach usually feel like the Caribbean does in winter.

*I was sort of kidding regarding advice to OP, but honestly for myself central NC is barely humid at all.
Strange.

Those humidity levels are like ours, and we can get pretty humid, at least from my POV.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:17 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,485,205 times
I'd research Western South Dakota~a semi-arid climate, but still very green except for drought years, of course.

OR, as was suggested before~Colorado.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Hi ColdCanadian,
I live in NC now and it's way too humid for me.When I speak of humidity I'm talking about the wet in the cold as well as the hot. I hate it in either. claymaster

Old 11-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Thank you Ken,
I don't like humidity in the cold either. It gets into my bones and I can't get warm. Just as the humidity in the heat. You can't get cool enough. I've experienced it in both and have learned that it's not the heat or the cold weather that bothers me it's the moisture in both that make it uncomfortable to me. Linda

Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,515,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymaster View Post
Thank you Ken,
I don't like humidity in the cold either. It gets into my bones and I can't get warm. Just as the humidity in the heat. You can't get cool enough. I've experienced it in both and have learned that it's not the heat or the cold weather that bothers me it's the moisture in both that make it uncomfortable to me. Linda
I understand - that's why when I retire, we're moving to Arizona (already have my property).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather