Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,329,915 times

Advertisements

Here in the southeast(nc and Wv) there were 3 ski resorts open from Halloween day until April 7th. The longest period ever recorded. I say bring on the little ice age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 AM

83,282 posts, read 74,503,009 times
Try this..... Close your eyes...

Now open them... imagine everywhere you click, everywhere you look, every thing you hear, is about the extreme ice, cold and snow records I have been posting about from around the world.. I Guarantee you the general public would think the globe was cooling OR at least think we arent "just" warming. But there's a reason we dont see those types of stories.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Now open them... imagine everywhere you click, everywhere you look, every thing you hear, is about the extreme ice, cold and snow records I have been posting about from around the world.. I Guarantee you the general public would think the globe was cooling OR at least think we arent "just" warming. But there's a reason we dont see those types of stories.
And that would be a stupid conclusion to get from the stories. Why look at records so much? Why not the links on monthly averages like I posted instead?

The Arctic and northern Asia has been above average. At this point you're confusing weather and climate, the latter is a long-term average and is not based off of short-term events.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,700,962 times
Quote:

The geophysicist slammed the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), saying their stand on global warming “is incorrect because only are based on mathematical models and presented results at scenarios that do not include, for example, solar activity”.
This guy thinks climate scenarios don't account for solar activity?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM

4,965 posts, read 6,227,417 times
Quote:
Try this..... Close your eyes...

Last year in our area we had one of the hottest summers on record and a drought that rivaled the dust bowl. How did we go from that to this new ice age you keep talking about? Not to mention last summer's heat followed a very warmer than normal winter.

I looked at our 10 coldest winters in my part of the world.

1. 1976-77
2. 1977-78
3. 1962-63
4. 1917-18
5. 1935-36
6. 1903-04
7. 1978-79
8. 1904-05
9. 1884-85
10. 1981-92

So the only winter that was cold enough to be in the top 10 was over 30 years ago. Perhaps you're reading data that is really talking about the late 1970s. Then you might have been on to something. But this winter is not on the list. And last winter was the 8th warmest on record.

I agree with what other people have said, you are confusing weather and climate. What happens over a couple months doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,556,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This guy thinks climate scenarios don't account for solar activity?
That geophysicist's comments are idiotic, to be polite about it. He's also a liar. Climate scenarios have been assessing solar effects for a long time.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,845,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
That geophysicist's comments are idiotic, to be polite about it. He's also a liar. Climate scenarios have been assessing solar effects for a long time.

I've often wondered why they go to these lengths to try and disprove the science?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,865,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Surely the Little Ice Age just refers to a period of cooler weather i.e colder summers and winters, such as the Maunder Minimum or Younger Dryas, as opposed to a glacial period.. I doubt we'll be seeing New York under an ice sheet any time soon.
No you won't see NYC under ice 2 miles high, but you might find the brackish water of the Hudson where fresh water meets salt freeze over enough to ice boat on. It was in the 1750's and ice boats freighted the haul to Albany.

It may be too cold for places that grew crops to grow any too. The where depends but that has happened in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather