Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more pleasant?
Summer in San Diego 15 38.46%
Winter in Miami 24 61.54%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Why should we bother to post official NWS data…if when it doesn’t say what people want to it to say, they can dismiss it and use some “special data” from some mysterious source to prove their point – lol. We might as well make things up as we go along right?

The data I posted for San Diego CLEARY shows where it is… NWS San Diego Lindbergh Field. It is located in the city of San Diego 3.4 miles from the Pacific Ocean. NWS stands for National Weather Service. Are you saying the NWS service in San Diego is incorrect ? .

As for SST …again we have to be fair to the factual data: According to the NCDC/NOAA - there is NO MONTH that San Diego has ave SST of 73 F . This is from the coastal water temp guide…it CLEARLY shows that no month do SST ever get warmer than 72 F in San Diego Bay; Of course we both know that SD bay is somewhat more shallow and protected – note how Oceanside beach (top of page, and more represented of open ocean CA beaches) NEVER even gets above the upper 60’s (and we know Miami is at least above 70 F in winter):

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

No matter how we attempt to spin it….the surf temp’s in summer off San Diego are colder than off Miami in winter. Can we really argue with the people who collect the data?

Actually, ocean temps in San Diego have gotten as high as 78F, so it does happen. And you have to remember that most of June is still springtime. If you compare July or August (which are more 'summery') to a January or February in Miami, you'll see much different results. But way to go on trying to spin it.

Oh, and last year, they even announced on the local news and radio of the ocean temps in August in San Diego being 73F. Some people get different measurements, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
One other note…again we should be fair to the factual data:

I’m not sure how New England” SST comes into the discussion…but I think you might be incorrect here as well.

The tropical Gulf Stream (after swinging north off the North Carolina Outer Banks) gets a little closer to the USA East Coast again in far eastern New England (Rhode Island sees the biggest impact). In mid-summer average SST off Rhode Island (and Nantucket/MV maybe too) reach 75 to 78 F….something that they would NEVER do off San Diego or anywhere along the California coast (see their numbers above).

Most of the CA coast has cold water in summer, but the southern end from Laguna Beach south towards San Diego really doesn't have water that is too cold for swimming. Ocean temps in the 70-72F range are okay on a bright sunny day. That is pretty typical for this regions (not the bay) ocean beaches from late July thru mid-Sept.

Check out the info below from wiki about the CA current. I bolded the part about the warm water anamoly.

The California Current is an Eastern boundary current and is part of the North Pacific Gyre, a large swirling current that occupies the northern basin of the Pacific. The movement of northern waters southward makes the coastal waters cooler than the coastal areas of comparable latitude on the east coast of the United States. Additionally, extensive upwelling of colder sub-surface waters occurs, caused by the prevailing northeasterly winds acting through the Ekman Effect. The winds drive surface water to the right of the wind flow, that is offshore, which draws water up from below to replace it. The upwelling further cools the already cool California Current. This is the mechanism that produces California's characteristic coastal fog and the negative temperature anomaly we measure in California's coastal waters during summer (Mann and Lazier, 2006). This translates into cold coastal waters during the summer, stretching from Oregon to Baja California. Note, this does not include the coastal water surrounding San Diego. There is a warm water anomaly off San Diego (Mann and Lazier, 2006).

These water temps shown below for coastal S. California were from August 2012. There was talk of a weak El Nino forming in September, but conditions in August were neutral. So, I would imagine these kind of water temps happen there in August.

As for the RI water temps in the mid to upper 70's, I doubt on the open ocean coast, lol. You critcized using San Diego Bay, yet look at where Quonset Point is. That is no way accurate to use to claim those are ocean temps.

I think I would enjoy having a swim here on a sunny summer day with a water temp of 72F. The water is not as turquoise as Miami, but doesn't look brown as river water like some beaches on the southeast US coast. Ever been to Hilton Head Island? The water there looked mud colored last time I was there. I didn't go in it.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
This is really interesting - if you take away the context, San Diego summer wins for me because it is warmer and dryer. But an SD summer would be disappointing to me if that was the warmest I got to experience all year. On the other hand, Miami has great winters and you know it's only going to get warmer.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:18 PM

284 posts, read 282,849 times
Miami for the better SST and nicer water

Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Miami's winters for me.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
This is really interesting - if you take away the context, San Diego summer wins for me because it is warmer and dryer. But an SD summer would be disappointing to me if that was the warmest I got to experience all year. On the other hand, Miami has great winters and you know it's only going to get warmer.
Well, San Diego does get a lot of heat waves in September and October.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,932 times
San Diego - their summers average mid to high 200s for sunshine hours whereas Miami is in the low 200s.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:36 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Well, San Diego does get a lot of heat waves in September and October.
Ok. You convinced me. But I voted for Miami summers in your reverse poll.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:09 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,885 times
San Diego can have long stretches of May-Grey and June-Gloom by the coast. This year has been a treat, lots of sun by the coast. Also if it is 72 degrees by the coast in San Diego, it can be 92 degrees 20 miles inland (La Mesa/El Cajon). During the summer months the temperatures go up about one degrees every mile you head inland. One summer (2010?) I think the coast was so socked in we really had no sun at all from May - September and so it was cold and cloudy (low 60's) all summer at the coast. Boy did the tourists get ripped off that year. I remember thinking that summer I felt like I lived in Oregon. Everyday after work I had to put on sweats, it was so chilly by the coast.

I have not been to Miami so can't comment. Have been to Ft. Lauderdale in the Spring and it was lovely.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:34 PM

Yes, but that fall had a lot of heat-it was like summer came late that year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather