Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times

Advertisements

Canary Island date palms are Phoenix palms, they grow outside unprotected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Just a week until June and it's STILL snowing: But warmer weather may make welcome return over the bank holiday weekend with highs of 19C | Mail Online

This is very tiring right now, although it snowed on 6th of june in 1976 and that summer was hot so there is still a tiny bit of hope that things will get better.

All the summer clothes in stores look so out of place when its so cold and miserable outside.
Ive read today that this year spring has been the coldest in paris for over 100 years too.
Sorry to hear about your cold weather! Here in the states, we just got over the worse few days of heat and humidity ever. Last weekend it hit 92 degrees and then for at least 3 more days it was high 80's to 90 degrees. Way too early for that much heat.
The weather is changing and in some cases not for the good. Oklahoma has been getting pounded with tornados and the devastation there is beyond anything I could ever imagine in my lifetime. Places there look like a bomb was dropped on them, lives were lost and I can't see how those poor people would ever want to rebuild in that area.
Stay warm and hopefully Spring will be knocking on your door soon!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 AM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
There are Phoenix palms in London

Right in the greenhouse in Kew Gardens!
No Phoenix canariensis do grow quite happily unprotected outside in London, just do a check on the internet & you will find plenty of pictures...

They also grow here on the south coast where I live

Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
you've got generally "Cornish palms"
File:Penzance church.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it's a far cry from actual palm trees.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
You were talking about Phoenix palms.

These trees grow unprotected in London and the south coast.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
you've got generally "Cornish palms"
File:Penzance church.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it's a far cry from actual palm trees.
You do realise there are around 3000 different types of palm? Many can take cool/cold temperatures & quite afew different species grow happily in the UK, even as far north as Scotland! In my own garden on the south coast of England I have around 16 different types of palm growing quite happily...

And since your original comment was about Phoenix palms, well Phoenix canariensis, Canary Island Date Palms, grow in milder parts of the UK, including London. There are mature specimens growing on the Scilly Isles & in Devon & large trunking plants in London as well as where I live in Southsea (one of these is pictured below)...

Old 06-04-2013, 07:39 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Glad palm trees don't grow here. The idea of 14C and cloudy under a palm tree in Penzance is just... perverse.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Glad palm trees don't grow here. The idea of 14C and cloudy under a palm tree in Penzance is just... perverse.
Well it does get warmer than 14C in Penzance & on the rare occassion no doubt they see the sun from time to time too lol...

Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 AM

334 posts, read 867,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Sorry to hear about your cold weather! Here in the states, we just got over the worse few days of heat and humidity ever. Last weekend it hit 92 degrees and then for at least 3 more days it was high 80's to 90 degrees. Way too early for that much heat.
The weather is changing and in some cases not for the good. Oklahoma has been getting pounded with tornados and the devastation there is beyond anything I could ever imagine in my lifetime. Places there look like a bomb was dropped on them, lives were lost and I can't see how those poor people would ever want to rebuild in that area.
Stay warm and hopefully Spring will be knocking on your door soon!

'worse heat and humidity ever'? More than 600 years ago? I seriously doubt it. As for tornados we're actually experiencing fewer.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:20 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
You do realise there are around 3000 different types of palm? Many can take cool/cold temperatures & quite afew different species grow happily in the UK, even as far north as Scotland! In my own garden on the south coast of England I have around 16 different types of palm growing quite happily...

And since your original comment was about Phoenix palms, well Phoenix canariensis, Canary Island Date Palms, grow in milder parts of the UK, including London. There are mature specimens growing on the Scilly Isles & in Devon & large trunking plants in London as well as where I live in Southsea (one of these is pictured below)...
And what about all of the other BRITISH trees they've got down there? (No false impressions).

Last edited by Mac15; 06-04-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather