Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Chongqing
London 28 65.12%
Chongqing 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:16 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,677,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Only that official date shows there to be about 600 more sunshine hours in London

I would choose Chongqing on temperatures, but really those sunshine hours are unbelievably bad.. I would get depressed very quickly. It also looks like a dreary city and probably filled with smog.
Did you see the photo? It doesn't feel that dark, because at those latitudes both the Sun angle and UV index are very high, so the sky looks bright white in color, instead of those at the places of 50 °N which get marittime cloud cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
You cannot compare sunshine at 51N and at 29N. We both know it. In Miami it can be a cloudy day and many tourists still sunburn like lobsters.
Huh? Sunshine is measured via intensity of light If it's cloudy it's cloudy.. in fact the US uses lower thresholds for measuring sunshine, so in fact all US cities are about 200-250 hours lower than what figures state compared to other locations around the world.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Did you see the photo? It doesn't feel that dark, because at those latitudes both the Sun angle and UV index are very high, so the sky looks bright white in color, instead of those at the places of 50 °N which get marittime cloud cover.
Yes, but if you understand how sunshine is measured then you will know that is complete nonsense

Old 04-01-2016, 07:25 AM

892 posts, read 859,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Huh? Sunshine is measured via intensity of light If it's cloudy it's cloudy.. in fact the US uses lower thresholds for measuring sunshine, so in fact all US cities are about 200-250 hours lower than what figures state compared to other locations around the world.
What's weird is I stated my opinion and you're arguing with me. Defensive over London's weather much?

And no, for me it's not just about having a cloud-less day. It's about 'feeling' the sun, and for it not to be completely dreary, as that puts me to sleep. If you feel the sun's rays -irregardless if there is a cloud in the way or not - your brain releases norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin which makes you feel 'good.'

I feel like the lower latitude will help, so sue me, we disagree.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:33 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,591,349 times
You can feel the sun through cloud here, even at this time of year. Plus cloudy days here are usually bright white too.

This thread was obviously going to be lost to trolls. Nobody can take threads involving London/UK seriously. It never used to be like this, did it?

Old 04-01-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
What's weird is I stated my opinion and you're arguing with me. Defensive over London's weather much?

And no, for me it's not just about having a cloud-less day. It's about 'feeling' the sun, and for it not to be completely dreary, as that puts me to sleep. If you feel the sun's rays -irregardless if there is a cloud in the way or not - your brain releases norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin which makes you feel 'good.'

I feel like the lower latitude will help, so sue me, we disagree.
You stated your opinion that is clearly ridiculous in the face of official date which shows London to be 600 hours sunnier than Chongqing I am not defending the climate of London which I don't even really like, just refuting your absurd claims, but then it is clear you are a troll anyway after claiming that 26C sea water is cold

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, as the intensity at which you can feel the sun through the clouds would be measured on a recorder in any place, whether that is at the equator, in Miami, or at the north pole.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:52 AM

892 posts, read 859,161 times
Yes, I'm a troll for not voting for London. Brilliant logic

I've been to London many times - summer and winter - it's hard to imagine a climate with less sun. Maybe Chongqing is one of those climates. I don't know, unlike London never been but I believe its lower latitude will help.

Consider this conversation over and find someone else to troll .

Old 04-01-2016, 07:55 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,433 times
As much as I like warm weather I wouldn't want to live in central China.

London it is.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm a troll for not voting for London. Brilliant logic

I've been to London many times - summer and winter - it's hard to imagine a climate with less sun. Maybe Chongqing is one of those climates. I don't know, unlike London never been but I believe its lower latitude will help.

Consider this conversation over and find someone else to troll .
No, you are obviously the one with an obsession about London, I am refuting your claim because it is just ridiculous, and I would do so if this battle was Chongqing against any other city that has more sunshine.

What use is posting on this forum if you are just going to make wild judgements using statements such as 'I think' despite official data proving that you are very far from the truth

I guess I can now say that because London is partly cloudy most of the time with blue sky in sight most of the time even when it's cloudy, that we are sunnier than NYC, DC etc? because that's exactly what you're saying

Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,677,409 times
London is cloudy. Chongqing gets that stereotypical "Asian mist" found in some movies. It's a different feeling. It's still true, that London gets much more sunshine than Chongqing, which is comparable to Base Esperanza's, in Antarctica. Maybe Majami's just saying that the "feeling" is different between the two cities (it really is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather