Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Although both options are awful, which would you pick if someone put a gun to your head?
Loco 5 62.50%
Fou 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:28 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times

Advertisements

Loco has dry, comfortable winters followed by a brief, warm and rainy spring with daily afternoon thunderstorms and downpours (ALL of its precipitation comes during this time frame) and then the HOTTEST summers (hotter than anything recorded on earth before) and early falls you can ever imagine followed by just regular "hot" weather in late fall and a finally a return to comfortable weather again in winter.

Fou is what I'd imagine inland Antarctica to look like if there was a valley going down to sea level in the midst of the 10,000 feet plateau. It has extremely brutally cold winters, even colder than the real Vostok BUT it also has a thaw with comfortable warm and dry weather every summer. All the precipitation falls in spring as snow in a 2 month window creating a snowpack that melts in the short summer that follows meaning that this is officially a "tundra" rather than an icecap climate, even though the winter temperatures get colder than anything ever recorded before.

This is pretty much like the Ad vs. Vostok poll (//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...k-station.html) with the exception that both offer a comfortable season but more brutal summers and winters.

One thing- you'd be living inside domed communities in both with all the amenities provided for, but in Loco's summers, you'd be able to get into your car in your air conditioned garage and drive into air conditioned malls where you'd park in their air conditioned garage and move around in the community that way. Being outside for more than a few minutes during the day in summer is deadly though so you'd have to stick to the great indoors for half of the year. In Fou, it's so cold that cars CAN'T be driven outside in winter and neither can flights get in and out. All fuels freeze instantly as in the real Antarctica. You'd still be able able to go outside very briefly wearing protective gear, but wouldn't be able to venture very far from the base without risking severe frostbite and death from cold. Also don't forget the 6 months of total darkness.

Both communities receive 90 percent of all the possible sunshine during their "comfortable" period as all the clouds and rain come during their 2 month precipitation window. Loco's summers are completely cloud free with 100 percent of sunshine and humidity levels in the single digits. Fou also gets 24 hours of daylight during 6 months of the year so there are blackout shades on every window to insure a good night's sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Battle of the climates- Loco vs. Fou-locos.jpg   Battle of the climates- Loco vs. Fou-fou.jpg  

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 06-02-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 02:10 PM

I'm an extreme heat-hater but I'd still pick Loco for the freedom to move around in the community in the air conditioned cars/garages/buildings. Fou would be too confining and dark in the winter as there would be "no way out" as in real bases in the South Pole.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,629 times
Fou. There is reasonable conditions 5 months of the year, 2 months in Loco. The snowfall stats in Fou however are unrealistic. If snow was falling at that low of a temperature, snow to water ratio would be 75:1 or even greater. I could expect about 225 inches of extremely dry, powdery snow in September. Maybe more. Next time you make fictional climates, take into account the temperature when the snow is falling. If the temperature is 0F, the snow to water ratio would probably 25:1, maybe up to 30:1. If the temperature is, say 33-34F, the ratio would be about 6:1, because the snow is so wet.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2222 View Post
Fou. There is reasonable conditions 5 months of the year, 2 months in Loco. The snowfall stats in Fou however are unrealistic. If snow was falling at that low of a temperature, snow to water ratio would be 75:1 or even greater. I could expect about 225 inches of extremely dry, powdery snow in September. Maybe more. Next time you make fictional climates, take into account the temperature when the snow is falling. If the temperature is 0F, the snow to water ratio would probably 25:1, maybe up to 30:1. If the temperature is, say 33-34F, the ratio would be about 6:1, because the snow is so wet.
Thanks for the tip- I have limited experience with snow so only know about the 10:1 conversion and NOT the differences that the temperature creates in this rate. I was thinking of making the snow fall in early fall and creating a long snowpack but then moved it to mid-spring so that it would melt in the summer thaw that followed. That way, there would be a long, brutually horrific cold winter but not much snow to enjoy- more horrible "dry ice" I guess...

Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Also realized the wiki boxes don't calculate the annual averages correctly. How do you fix that?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Also realized the wiki boxes don't calculate the annual averages correctly. How do you fix that?
The annual average low for Fou is -58.16F, not 30.6F as the wikibox states. The average high is correct. I've never had that problem.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
I don't think I could survive in either year round without an Environmental Suit...

Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I don't think I could survive in either year round without an Environmental Suit...
You would be in your domed community which would have all the necessities inside (food cooked onsite, some entertainment, your workspace office, etc.) so no need to go outside but I'm assuming you'd want to step out on occasion. Which community would offer you the larger percentage of the year where you can go outside comfortably. In the height of winter in Fou and the height of summer in Loco, it's out of question. However, during the shoulder seasons, it differs from person to person.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
You would be in your domed community which would have all the necessities inside (food cooked onsite, some entertainment, your workspace office, etc.) so no need to go outside but I'm assuming you'd want to step out on occasion. Which community would offer you the larger percentage of the year where you can go outside comfortably. In the height of winter in Fou and the height of summer in Loco, it's out of question. However, during the shoulder seasons, it differs from person to person.
I think I'll go with Loco then as there are 6 months I could go outside without an Environmental Suit. Even in Fou, the record lows are really cold in the most comfortable time of year, so there is a chance it would not be very pleasant even then.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM

197 posts, read 230,930 times
neither of those are survivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather