Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That seems a bit more logical.

If Seattle averages between 43 and 47 % ....it would seem extreme for London to get only 27 % annually.
Who said London gets only 27% annually? I didn't.

When I said "here" was talking about where I live, Buxton, but there are quite a few other places in the UK with similar percentages... people seem to cope fine there.

Last edited by Weatherfan7; 06-09-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
I think wavehunter didn't get that cartoon about weather in Seattle was meant to be satirical and obviously a huge exaggeration. The summer weather in the PNW certainly lasts longer than 2 seconds and you can even have sunny weather at times throughout the year outside of summer.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Bizarre - lol not sure where that comes in ? In any event, many times I’ve heard a person in conversation complain about the climate of location X, or how location Y has a better climate, almost invariably the next response is that location X is “more continental".
I never heard that before. It sounds bizarre to me.

Quote:
Seattle (a Temperate Oceanic climate/Do) gets more clouds drizzle, and more rapidly changing weather, conditions due to much more frequent impacts from low pressure areas - much moreso than typical Temperate Continental climates/Dc). NYC for example.
That's true, though dunno if Seattle's weather changes that rapidly. Its cloudiness is rather consistent in the winter and its summertime weather is somewhat more sun than winter, but is umm, unexciting. Shoulder season in between. The Oregon Coast does seem to have drastic rain/sun fluctuations but it's its own miserable beast.

Quote:
The second part I bolded proves my point – in many climates that are termed “ continental” (NYC again for example) it would be RARE for the temp to swing from 70°F one day to 25°F the next. Only in deep interior and higher latitude continental climates (upper Midwest/central Canada/northern China…etc) are those types of thermal swings common.
But NYC isn't the most continental, more continental than oceanic in type, but definitely modified. It still has more sudden temperature swings, then say, Seattle. The bolded climates are more continental partly for having those wild swing.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

Still all of those numbers 38 - to 43% are pretty low compared to many areas of the USA. Temperate climates like Salt Lake City, St. Louis , NYC...etc average 57 to 63 %....while places like Texas, CA, and Florida average 64 to 70%.
But the British posters won't compare Seattle to the rest of the US.

For the US, someone from northern Europe would not find those numbers high, in fact, somewhat higher than they're used to. Much of the US is fairly sunny for worldwide standards. East Asia with a similar climate is quite a bit cloudier, and obviously much of Europe. Equatorial regions are also somewhat cloudier. From a worldwide perspective, Seattle is not extraordinarily cloudy, and is in fact, a bit sunnier than a typical oceanic climate (excluding much of New Zealand / SE Australia, which are lower latitude than most oceanic climates), though with an extreme season sunshine distribution.

What is a bit extreme about Seattle is its hours of rainfall. It's about double that of London. But parts of the western UK (and I think the Netherlands) is similar.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But the British posters won't compare Seattle to the rest of the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
RYanks think it is cloudy because it is compared to most of the USA, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
They make out their climate is depressingly cloudy.... Maybe compared to the continental USA it is....
Already acknowledged that fact, actually. But,it still shouldn't have anything to do with it unless someone used to living elsewhere in the USA moved to Seattle. It's like saying why don't we compare UK with the rest of Europe.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,286 times
Quote:
What is a bit extreme about Seattle is its hours of rainfall. It's about double that of London. But parts of the western UK (and I think the Netherlands) is similar.
Yup - both Belgium and the Netherlands tend to be a lot more drizzly, in fact. Brussels gets 199 precipitation days; Amsterdam 187 days, both well exceeding Seattle and Vancouver.

Seattle may definitely be an unwelcome surprise for Arizonans relocating north, but I doubt most folks from north-western Europe would mind it all that much.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Yup - both Belgium and the Netherlands tend to be a lot more drizzly, in fact. Brussels gets 199 precipitation days; Amsterdam 187 days, both well exceeding Seattle and Vancouver.

Seattle may definitely be an unwelcome surprise for Arizonans relocating north, but I doubt most folks from north-western Europe would mind it all that much.
It would be a massive upgrade for me, that's for sure. We get 250 days of rain a year!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I'm a bit puzzled why Belgium and Amsterdam are drizzlier than England. There was somewhere where I found precipitation hours and I found the Pacific Northwest unusually high. The Oregon Coast was a horrible 20% of possible hours with precipitation. It's still sunnier than much of the UK. From what I remember (late spring), you'd see the sun for a bit, clouds would roll in. And those clouds would bring rain, often heavy. Meanwhile somewhere in a valley inland (or a place like Seattle), where the coastal mountains block some of the incoming rain, those same clouds would be there but give only drizzle (or no rain). Clouds meant rain much more often along the coast.

Quote:
Yea, I've suspected that the Pacific Northwest gets a worse reputation because there's many transplants from California (and just cultural connections). I got a hint that was the case there when the locals told me how bad their weather was. When I mentioned at least your summers are nice, they didn't seem to get it. They were a bit baffled at me telling them that spending a summer there was the driest summer I've experienced.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,389 times
New York city proper is on the very northern limits of warm temperate with it's suburbs located in Cool/Cold Temperate. BTW the entire region that everyone thinks is sub-tropical in the USA is warm temperate sub tropical begins around Fort Myers on the west coast of Florida and around Ft Pierce on the east coast. with tropical climate only reserved for a few micro climate at the southern most end of the peninsula and all of the keys.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,886,777 times
Quote:
I'm a bit puzzled why Belgium and Amsterdam are drizzlier than England. There was somewhere where I found precipitation hours and I found the Pacific Northwest unusually high. The Oregon Coast was a horrible 20% of possible hours with precipitation. It's still sunnier than much of the UK. From what I remember (late spring), you'd see the sun for a bit, clouds would roll in. And those clouds would bring rain, often heavy. Meanwhile somewhere in a valley inland (or a place like Seattle), where the coastal mountains block some of the incoming rain, those same clouds would be there but give only drizzle (or no rain). Clouds meant rain much more often along the coast.

Yea, I've suspected that the Pacific Northwest gets a worse reputation because there's many transplants from California (and just cultural connections). I got a hint that was the case there when the locals told me how bad their weather was. When I mentioned at least your summers are nice, they didn't seem to get it. They were a bit baffled at me telling them that spending a summer there was the driest summer I've experienced.
Problem is Seattle experiences cloudy days with mist or very light rainfall during summer while the East Coast will get more sunshine and then a heavy downpour and then sunshine again. So therefore, I think while Seattle may have drier summers than NYC or Boston, it's certainly cooler and cloudier and gives much less of a "summery" feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather