Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick your poison- which of the four evils would you choose?
Dustee- endless scorching hot and dry summers 1 6.67%
Tropicana- endless heat and humidity with lots of rain and thunderstorms 10 66.67%
Mistee- endless fog and cold rain but no snow and very little sun 3 20.00%
Icee Rock- endless cold, cold cold with little snow and no warm spells ever 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:04 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,033 times

Advertisements

Here's my revised four way battle of the seasonless climates- I removed Comfortville because too many people voted for it. NOW- pick your poison!

Dustree- a year-round hot dessert climate with hot days and warm nights.It's located slightly north of the equator so that the winters are just very slightly cooler than the summers but there's no significant seasonality or relief from the heat. Humidity stays low so the heat index is lower than the actual temperature most of the time. It gets 98 percent of all the possible sunshine hours and averages only about 2 or 3 days of very light rain each year. It has gone up to 5 years without seeing a single drop. Getting a real rain shower (0.25 inches in a single system) is a once in a decade event. It's like Southern Arizona in summer all year round without the monsoons for relief from the heat.

Tropicana- a tropical humid climate with lots of sunshine and lots of rain (mostly in the form of afternoon thunderstorms preceeded and followed by the hot, humid sunshine) but they also get an average of 1-2 hurricanes a year and a major hurricane every 3-5 years. Unlike many real tropical humid climates, there is also no drier season or even a slightly cooler season. So no break from the humidity, rain, or heat except the nights cool off from the lower 90s to the upper 70s on a regular basis. Low standard deviations also with no temperature ever recorded lower than 65 F. Only time that daytime highs do NOT exceed 86 F is during a hurricane or tropical storm.

Mistee- a very temperate maritime climate with lots of cold rain (rarely heavy though- mostly light to moderate but very frequent), very little sunshine and constant temperatures in the upper 40s and lower 50s F with very little standard deviation. Averages only 1 or 2 sunny days a month and it has never recorded a temperature above 67 F or below 38 F. No snow has ever been recorded in Mistee. Despite the frequent rainfall, there has also has ONLY been ONE thunderstorm recorded in the entire history of Mistee and the locals mistook it for a bomb attack when they heard thunder and saw the flashes of lightning. Most days will be cloudy with drizzle or light rain and constant winds of 10-20 mph. Heavier winds are also rare but so are calm days with no wind.

Icee Rock
- a constant icecap climate with temperatures that hover between -10 F during the day and -20 F at night. It has never had a gone above 0 F but does get colder spells when it gets down to -40 F at night (their record low). It gets very little precipitation with an average of one very light snow per month and it's sunny most of the time otherwise. Needless to say, the snow never melts so it's a glacier/icecap climate. It is very sunny most of the the time but there are light winds of 10-15 mph most of the time adding a windchill making it feel even colder. Sometimes stronger winds come creating blowing snow causing the "illusion" of a blizzard but it has never gotten more than 5 inches of snow in one event.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 06:30 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
I think I'll still go with Tropicana.. Dustee is just too hot in the summer for me and Tropicana still has plenty of sunshine to make me a happy camper

Old 06-09-2013, 07:25 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
I still choose Icee Rock, for the same reasons I outlined in the other thread.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,294,983 times
They all look quite crappy, IMO. But I'll go with Icee Rock. Dustee is far too hot, Mistee is too monotonously gray and wet, and Tropicana is only good for making Tropicana Orange Juice.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,204 times
I'll go with Tropicana even though it's completely unrealistic.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I'll go with Tropicana even though it's completely unrealistic.
Tropicana is very similar to Singapore-or Miami's summer lasting ALL YEAR.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,969,896 times
Mistee. I won't mind overcast.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Tropicana is very similar to Singapore-or Miami's summer lasting ALL YEAR.
Tropicana is unrealistic because it's total seasonal variation is 2f and for that to happen it would have to be within 5 degrees of the equator but Hurricanes and Tropical Storms can't form or strike that close to the equator. That's what makes Tropicana unrealistic. Not the actual climate table you provided.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 AM

260 posts, read 480,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Tropicana is unrealistic because it's total seasonal variation is 2f and for that to happen it would have to be within 5 degrees of the equator but Hurricanes and Tropical Storms can't form or strike that close to the equator. That's what makes Tropicana unrealistic. Not the actual climate table you provided.
Also I think that in the Duster daily temperature amplitude must be bigger.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM

753 posts, read 837,521 times
Tropicana for sure. It's definitely a few degrees too warm for my liking and much too sunny, but still far better than any of the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather