Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,238 times

Advertisements

In some ways I dislike it - but it is nice that my children will go to bed earlier and easier - even the 16 year old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 12:31 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You can probably expect that too when you move to NH.

Yesterday was our first day I saw more than 20 minutes of continuous sunshine in one week.
I was working outdoors Wednesday to Friday and Monday and saw no sun then or on the weekend.
This is typical for fall here...

However yesterday was brilliantly sunny all day and mild, 58 F.
I was working outside then too. It felt more like April or early May than it did November.
Today we had cloud in the morning, but bright sun from noon until sunset and another high of 58 F.
(last week we we're from the high 30's to low 40's most afternoons)

Surprisingly we've had more sun than normal so far in November.
By Nov. 10th we had 22 hours of sunshine instead of our average of 20 hours.
That's 2.2 hours of sun a day and the day is still 9-10 hours long.
I do expect to see clouds. However, fall is actually the cloudiest time of year for most of New England. In the winter the amount of sunlight actually increases because the arctic high pressure areas get stronger and push a lot of the stormy weather further to the south. I definitely realize that New England is much clouder than the Great Plains, and I will have to adjust to that. I enjoy the colder weather and snow quite a bit, though.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Darkness and winter , go together.......... I sleep later in the morning , and , get up when I want to......Thats what I do.....
I once was in Yellowknife , in the summer , parked my motorhome ,alongside a boat launch. The locals were going water skiing at midnight, keeping me from needed sleep. I ask one of them , why , at midnight !....... I was told , this. " why not ?, we sleep all winter , and play all summer , 24-7, If the sun don't go down , nether do we ! ".... I put my blinders back on , and , shut the window.......

Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
during winter here I used to leave for uni on some days when it was still pitch black and return home after sunset.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:11 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Most of the US is still located at a lower latitude than European countries. The seasonal variations in daylight are not very extreme at all in the US compared with Canada, northern Europe, and northern Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather