Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 08:39 AM

673 posts, read 3,146,601 times

Advertisements

I have always been interested in space, stars, etc. and have recently thought about getting a telescope...I know nothing about them but saw these at Kohls. Would you recommend any one of these or do you have any advice? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I dont want to go too cheap either. Thanks!

Kohl's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
It depends on the power you want. You can buy a decent reflector telescope fairly cheap. I have a hard time with reflector scopes though; everything is the opposite because they use mirrors. I looked at those scopes online and they aren't bad deals. I haven't bought a telescope in ages though.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
it was recommended to me by someone who knows to starts out with binoculars
this turned out to be a great idea economically and for enjoyment opened up a brand new world. walmart ll do ya bout 20 bucks or less.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
Generally, you should get the largest aperture you can afford financially and able to physically handle. Dobsonian reflectors (tube which sits on a cradle-style rocker box with up-down and side to side motions) offer the largest apertures for the lowest cost. Most amatuer astronomers recommend these as they are easy to use and you can get a decent quality instrument for a low price.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
I would recommend a "goto" type of telescope if you can afford it. Basically, once it's properly aligned, you tell it where to point, and it moves to the correct location for you. It also provides automatic tracking to keep the desired object in sight.

You never realize how quickly the Earth rotates until you focus on an object with a telescope only to watch the object move out of the field of view rapidly. A goto telescope prevents this from happening by moving the telescope to keep it focused on the desired object.

I got a Meade 4" reflecting telescope with Goto capability at Wallyworld for about $400.00 plus tax. I believe it was a pretty good deal for that type of telescope. I have seen similar units that cost considerably more. Meade doesn't list my model on their website, so I believe it was produced exclusively for sale at WM. I am pleased with it, but now that I've used it quite a bit, I'm wishing I bought an 8" telescope instead (of course it would have cost 4-6 times as much).

Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Generally, you should get the largest aperture you can afford financially and able to physically handle. Dobsonian reflectors (tube which sits on a cradle-style rocker box with up-down and side to side motions) offer the largest apertures for the lowest cost. Most amatuer astronomers recommend these as they are easy to use and you can get a decent quality instrument for a low price.
Orion makes some affordable Dobsonian scopes that have Goto capability, if that is something that you desire. Here's an example:
Telescope.com: SkyQuest XT6 IntelliScope with Object Locator

This unit isn't motorized, but it tells you which way to adjust the telescope. Automatic object tracking isn't possible with this setup, but it is with motorized goto telescopes.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:46 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,027,584 times
I suggest Orion telescopes- they have many scopes of excellent quality starting at $100 and up. They range from beginner, to intermediate to advanced.

They have a nice 70mm refractor on an equatorial mount for $150
They have a great 'dobsonian' 4.5" reflector for $230

do not overspend or buy a scope beyond your knowledge of the night sky.

see telescope.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather