Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better summers?
New York 44 53.66%
London 38 46.34%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Remember that Gatwick isn't actually in London, but near the town of Crawley. Of course the point you are making is still valid, but just a reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Summer temperatures in the UK are often into the 80's (well in the South East anyway) 70's is the 'average' though - last summer was an exception! Truly awful!!

Crawley, England, United Kingdom extended 2 weeks weather forecast

next two weeks in my hometown in the South East (a degree or two less than London usually)

lots of nice days in there. why all the talk about the crap summers you are having recently? I wish I was going on vacation there those weeks. I'm sick of 90'sF already and it is only June. I like mid 80'sF for high temps, but those days look very pleasant for touring around.

I don't like anything over 90F as it just is too uncomfortable with our humidity here. I had plenty of 90'sF temps in Seville, Spain one summer, but it was much more comfortable with the low humidity.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Remember that Gatwick isn't actually in London, but near the town of Crawley. Of course the point you are making is still valid, but just a reminder.
Gatwick is within the metro area of London though right? About 35 miles from Heathrow, and 25 miles from St James Park?

Here is a comparison of some of the major NYC stations. Newark isn't in New York City but within the metro area, and 18 miles of Central Park, 23 miles from LaGuardia and 30 miles from JFK.

Because of it's proximity to the ocean, NYC sees a little be more of a difference in monthly temps between the stations.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
lots of nice days in there. why all the talk about the crap summers you are having recently? I wish I was going on vacation there those weeks. I'm sick of 90'sF already and it is only June. I like mid 80'sF for high temps, but those days look very pleasant for touring around.

I don't like anything over 90F as it just is too uncomfortable with our humidity here. I had plenty of 90'sF temps in Seville, Spain one summer, but it was much more comfortable with the low humidity.
Yeah our summers here are awful if you want to be active outdoors, despite the fact that dew points here (Harrisburg area) are a bit lower than over there in Philly. Our weather is great if your average day consists of sitting in an office all day with nothing to do at home. Part of my job is working outside at night, and the humidity has been unbearable the last 2 weeks. I remember my first summer in southeast England, it was the best ever. The Brits don't know how good they have it.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,202 times
Aww, London's winning. I can't help but feel a wave of patriotism swelling in my heart.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
Aww, London's winning. I can't help but feel a wave of patriotism swelling in my heart.
You should. London summers actually allow people to be active outside without ending up smelling like sweaty gym socks at the end of the day. I've done the whole walk all around Central Park in July, and I end up drinking several bottles of water during the course of the day

Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Seems that there is not much in the way of local climate variations in London, with the largest difference being 0.5C in the summer between Heathrow and Gatwick. A little bit larger in January.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
To be fair Heathrow is right on the extreme edge of what is classed as Greater London, right next to areas that are classed as Berkshire & Gatwick is not in London at all, it is in West Sussex...

And those weather station stats are odd, London City Airport has it's own weather station so not sure why it is using data from Greenwich & Gatwick is using data from Charlwood in Surrey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Gatwick is within the metro area of London though right? About 35 miles from Heathrow, and 25 miles from St James Park?
No Gatwick isn't in the 'metro area' it is in the middle of the countryside in West Sussex, Heathrow isn't really either it is on the outskirks...

Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
To be fair Heathrow is right on the extreme edge of what is classed as Greater London, right next to areas that are classed as Berkshire & Gatwick is not in London at all, it is in West Sussex...

And those weather station stats are odd, London City Airport has it's own weather station so not sure why it is using data from Greenwich & Gatwick is using data from Charlwood in Surrey?

No Gatwick isn't in the 'metro area' it is in the middle of the countryside in West Sussex, Heathrow isn't really either it is on the outskirks...

Why the interest in man made urban heat island temperatures though? All those stations within the urban areas of London are affected by the UHI. Airports, even though night temps with radiational cooling are frost hollows, seem more realistic for natural temps. Or stations that are on the outskirts of the UHI. Downtown or heavily urban areas are not natural climates. Farms and agrictultural areas are all outside the UHI as well. Suburban areas are also outside the UHI usually.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
They are not natural climates, but hold significant populations. Most people in the UK live in towns or cities, so airports are not representative most of the time, especially when they are located at 208m above sea level on exposed high ground! Or for example, when Birmingham Airport fell to -21C in the 80s, and a station closer to the city centre only fell to -13C.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why the interest in man made urban heat island temperatures though? All those stations within the urban areas of London are affected by the UHI. Airports, even though night temps with radiational cooling are frost hollows, seem more realistic for natural temps. Or stations that are on the outskirts of the UHI. Downtown or heavily urban areas are not natural climates. Farms and agrictultural areas are all outside the UHI as well. Suburban areas are also outside the UHI usually.
Because that's where most people live, in larger urban areas... If anything most of our weather stations are situated in artifical man made environments as they are at airports/airbases. Most of the temperatures recorded in the winter are in no way representative of where most people live as they are man made frost hollows...

As an example "Bournemouth" weather station is not even situated in Bournemouth, it is several miles inland at the airport in Hurn, a rural location on sandy soil that is often records some of the coldest temperatures in southern England. Last night it dropped to 4C there! Along the coast here my low was 11.4C & I expect it was similar in Bournemouth too.

I don't see why we don't have more weather station in cities, as regardless of why the temperatures are higher, they are & people experience those temperatures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather