Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate Zade's Oasis?
A plus to the 100th power 0 0%
A+ 0 0%
A 2 7.69%
B 1 3.85%
C 0 0%
D 5 19.23%
E 4 15.38%
F 6 23.08%
Z 3 11.54%
Z- 3 11.54%
Z minus to the 100th power 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,886,777 times

Advertisements

Check out this climate; it's a dessert with a large diurnal range year round. Daytime highs are very hot but nights always cool off very nicely (you can even call the nights "cold" as winter nights below freezing are not uncommon even after hot days). Whatever rain does fall always falls in winter. I know you cold and snow lovers will hate it but I'm curious to see if you heat lovers would enjoy these hot (comfortably hot in winter but unbearable heat in summer) daytime highs and chilly overnight lows.

Attached Thumbnails
Rate this climate: dessert with large diurnal range--zades-oasis.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,393 times
G-. I was tempted to give it a Z, but the comfortable nights most of the year bumped it up. Since there's no G option, F--- it is.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:59 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,559,351 times
Nothing like a sweet deSSert to cool down after a spicy meal?

Anyway, thumbs up for a very nice and original creation.

In an odd, disturbing, creepy way, I have to admit I love this climate. The abundance of sunshine is a huge plus. No month is perfect but all are good in a way. 4°C nights seem very bearable and even enjoyable given a 36°C yearly average high, while 46°C days don't seem too hard to handle with a quick cooldown at night.

If I could have occasional weekend breaks in wetter and milder places, I wouldn't dread the thought of spending a lifetime in that climate.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but... A-. (B+ if I'm picky, mostly for the lackluster vegetation)

Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,397,110 times
Everything is the worst possible except the lows and because of them it's an E, not an F.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:40 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,729,462 times
Z-. Nothing to like as far as I'm concerned. Annoyingly large dirunal ranges, tedious sunshine, almost nonexistant rain. It escapes a Z- to the 100th power because it still mostly features comfortable temps.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,286 times
Intriguing place - really only four months are bad, and I find myself curious as to the landscape, buildings, and culture that would develop in such a climate. It seems like a perfect climate for underground houses, for example. Definitely would make me a morning person!

Though this is much more extreme, my time in Egypt gives me good idea of how you can live life normally in this weather. In summer people are eating at cafes, shopping, living life as normal at 1, 2, even 3AM like it was 4PM Friday anywhere else. I don't just mean the nightlife you see at places like Miami Beach, I mean families with kids as well.

I give it a B- ... for interest and good weather all year some of the time.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM

775 posts, read 1,169,262 times
B- I'm a fan of big diurnal ranges; those morning lows will definitely be a welcome relief from those eye-watering summer highs you have there.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM

477 posts, read 802,762 times
Unfortunately has to be a Z-

Not digging 114F avg highs. yikes.

There are places kinda similar (but not as hot) in the US desert southwest with huge diurnal ranges,
particularly at certain elevations (around 3000 to 4000 ft) in AZ and NM.
Low enough to have summer maxs in the 90s and low 100s F but also very
cool nights due to combo of aridity, elevation and very poor cold air drainage in deep valleys.

Oh yeah, like dhdh and I like cool dessert on a hot day.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,886,777 times
E-.. I normally don't like large diurnal ranges, but in this case, it makes the summer more tolerable and saves the climate from an F. Without Ac, it would be a Z minus to the 100th power, but totally livable with AC. From April through october, I would stay in the AC by day and go out when the sun goes down. In winter, it would get annoying to have hot weather by day and need a jacket every morning and when going out at night. Also not sure if I'd be able to swim in winter cuz those overnite lows may keep the pool from warming up. Needless to say, way too dry as well. I created this climate by keeping my hometown's average overnight lows the same and adding 30 degrees to the daytime highs year round and reducing each month's precip to a quarter of what my town normally gets.

I would choose this climate over Kuwait City or Yuma (summer nights don't cool off there) or any climate that regularly gets colder than -30f in winter or has an average temperature of less than 0 f in any month (Winnepeg or Fairbanks). I may also choose it over an extreme Maritime climate with a VERY weak summer- such as the Faroe Islands or The Aleutian Islands.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Vodka or cupcakes? What is the dessert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather