Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times

Advertisements

I'm searching for the best 'continental' climate, with a big potential for snow, but also warm and sunny summers.

Strasbourg came first across my mind. But it is a bit gloomy, and could benefit from warmer summers.

Grenoble has surprisingly warm winters, so the snow will probably not stick around for long... Chambéry and Annecy are also quite similar.

Care to help, as there's a few French posters here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Mulhouse, France

Mulhouse, France Weather Averages | Monthly Average High and Low Temperature | Average Precipitation and Rainfall days | World Weather Online

Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 AM

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulhou...3.A9ographique

The French wikipedia has much lower temps for Mulhouse. I'm inclined to trust Météo France more. And 1863 hours of sun.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Rozenn can surely answer you better than I can regarding continental climates, but I can already tell you that there' s nothing too exciting in our country for 4 season climate fans.

I would say that highlands in southern France are your best bet for both cold, snowy winters and relatively sunny, albeit stormy summers.

Peira Cava, 1 hour away from Nice by car, seems to be reliably snow-covered in winter and routinely experiences subfreezing afternoon temperatures. Last time I was there in January it was -5°C by sunset. From my experience winter sunshine is pretty abundant there (there is no available data) and so is snow. There's even a ski resort nearby.
Summer tends to be a little cloudy and foggy up there though, I've experienced a completely overcast and foggy 10°C June afternoon there once.

The villages/resorts of Gréolières/Thorenc/Andon/Castellane form another region in the Alps with a borderline continental climate. I've lived there when I was a kid so I'm pretty familiar with this climate. Winters can be very cold (my father recorded -23°C there once) and snowy but unreliably so, some years don't see any snow at all. Summers are warm during the day but coolish at night.

Andon, Alpes-Maritimes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I typed the climatic averages on Wiki for that place. I know sunshine and precip seem weird but that's what was written on the book (about climates in southern France) and sunshine data comes from only a handful of years so that might be an explanation.

Auron/Saint-Etienne de Tinée is another region with snowy winters (-5/3°C at the ski resort's village, colder as you get higher) and stormy, coolish summers (10/21°C).

Hope that helps, Rozenn will most likely give you a more exhaustive answer but I thought I'd add my two cents for high altitude climates in southern France

Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm searching for the best 'continental' climate, with a big potential for snow, but also warm and sunny summers.

Strasbourg came first across my mind. But it is a bit gloomy, and could benefit from warmer summers.

Grenoble has surprisingly warm winters, so the snow will probably not stick around for long... Chambéry and Annecy are also quite similar.

Care to help, as there's a few French posters here?
I don't know about the snow potential....but I always thought that other than right on the French Riveria - there were no warm climates in France? Outside of places like Nice, I thought nowhere in France has a month where the mean (monthly) temp is 70 F /21 C or higher? Could be wrong though.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Most of France does. Even Paris averages 20C in July.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks for your input, dhdh. The problem with ski resorts is that they are quite unreliable in summer. A 10C day in July is a big no-no.

Hmm, despite being such a large country, all your winters really suck. By which I mean cold winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I don't know about the snow potential....but I always thought that other than right on the French Riveria - there were no warm climates in France? Outside of places like Nice, I thought nowhere in France has a month where the mean (monthly) temp is 70 F /21 C or higher? Could be wrong though.
Cities like Lyon average 28C/82F - 17C/62F in July. Even warm oceanic Bordeaux averages 26.5C/80F - 15C/59F in August. A 80F/60F summer is IMO a warm summer.

In fact I could move to Lyon. I've heard the people are 'cold' on French standards and the city is rich and not too big. A good place for me!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Other than in the Alps...

I would say Massif Central area of France, higher altitude areas near Clermont-Ferrand.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:00 AM

336 posts, read 398,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Thanks for your input, dhdh. The problem with ski resorts is that they are quite unreliable in summer. A 10C day in July is a big no-no.

Hmm, despite being such a large country, all your winters really suck. By which I mean cold winters.

Cities like Lyon average 28C/82F - 17C/62F in July. Even warm oceanic Bordeaux averages 26.5C/80F - 15C/59F in August. A 80F/60F summer is IMO a warm summer.

In fact I could move to Lyon. I've heard the people are 'cold' on French standards and the city is rich and not too big. A good place for me!
You love cold people?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weidehond View Post
You love cold people?
Not really, it was meant tounge in cheek. But I hate cheek-kissing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather