U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,444,732 times

Advertisements

Same thing happened to me after I lost about 140 pounds as a teen. Though I've never loved true frigid cold, but before my ideal climate would have been more like Lerwick than the subtropics I love now: Lerwick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM

18,990 posts, read 16,795,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Did you go all Bear Grylls there for those 48 hours and construct make shift shelters and what not?
No, I just stayed under a big rock. The rain was heavy and didn't really ease and a hunt for dry firewood, wouldn't have been worth it. Thank goodness for down sleeping bags. I had some onion and carrots for venison stew, but the deer were too smart to be out in the weather. I had some fresh possums skins, but I wasn't that desperate. I did what Bear would have probably done, after consideration - stayed put and stayed dry. It ended up being 5 days, but the new awareness of cold started after about 2 days.

It was in the Joe river area. Joe River, West Coast - New Zealand Topographic Map

Last edited by Joe90; 06-20-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,524,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2222 View Post
I guess you were always a warmth person, just it was hidden by all that fat. I'm slightly overweight, but really? You would have to be very heat tolerant to sleep in those temps! 86F is way too hot to sleep comfortably. I set the heat in my apartment to 55F in winter and I'm comfy. Just occasionally need to wear a sweater if I get a little cold. I'm very cold tolerant. I do the Polar Bear Plunges. Once a few years ago I jumped into an icy lake. I warmed up by myself, no warm drinks.
Oh no way lol. I never liked extreme cold, but I could handle cold well for the past several years. This past winter I've had the need to double up on coats much more frequently than in the past, and I stopped wearing a jacket when it got up to 60 degrees, still wore jeans even when it's 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
55°F is a bit much, but sleeping at 86°F is noticeably irritating for almost everyone. 80°F is about my limit, acclimization helps (you get used to the warmer temperatures).

My BMI used to be 19, I was a bit more cold intolerant back then. I was shivering very slightly earlier sitting inside a 71°F room. I thought it was just me...
Nope. Not just you, body fat really is an insulator, especially with me. I'm 5' 6" and used to weigh a max of 255. No wonder I'd collapse when the temps reached higher than 75 lol.

As for bedroom temps, well in my situation, as you may remember, I used to live in Puerto Rico when I was young. It's where I'm from. We had no choice but to suck it up and live with bedrooms that were in excess of 80 degrees, because the electricity prices down there are ridiculous high so we lived without A/C. I'm surprised I acclimatized this quickly, though. Would have thought it would have taken me longer since it's been so long since I last lived in PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Yep we are almost identical now.
Almost I still don't like to sweat, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Welcome to the heat lovers club theunbrainwashed

As for me, I usually put the heat on in my car most of the summer here at least for a few minutes to warm the car up. I am about 5'8" and weigh about 190-200 lbs which isn't exactly skinny but the heat doesn't seem to bother me. I think one of
the main reasons is I enjoy sweating because it makes me feel refreshed. My body constantly sweating out toxins

You are so lucky you are American and have the option of living in tropical locations like Puerto Rico, Florida and Hawaii without immigration Unfortunately for me, I was born on the wrong side of the 49th parallel
Funny, too, when I was a kid spending summers in Puerto Rico, I'd be outside playing sports despite the heat index being between 34°C and 37°C (real temp about 30°C) and a UV index of 12-13. That was when I was healthy weight.

Lol, got nothing more to say than if we had treated our turned over possessions better and gave more economic development, Cuba and the Philippines would probably be two of our states by now They used to be territories of the US for a few decades if memory serves right. Other than that....sorry we made you get the short end of the stick blame the British for that lol. Though we're still not as lucky as Australians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm about 150 pounds / 68kg and I still hate the heat.
Lol if I was never born and raised in the Caribbean, maybe I'd be the same way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Same thing happened to me after I lost about 140 pounds as a teen. Though I've never loved true frigid cold, but before my ideal climate would have been more like Lerwick than the subtropics I love now: Lerwick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Same here. I'd have loved a place like San Francisco, or even the UK for that matter (I was out and about a lot in a t-shirt in England when it was in the low 10s and I'd have been walking for a few miles. The locals looked at me funny being the only one without a jacket on)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 PM

2,889 posts, read 3,682,806 times
I'm 150 6ft 1 in and I love the heat until the heat index hits 100f

Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM

3,608 posts, read 4,261,906 times
You can always eat more and get more weight before winter comes. It's only June.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 PM

1,516 posts, read 2,635,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ I can sleep soundly with no fan if the humidity is very low at a room temperature of 89 F/31 C (I did that in Perth)

I absolutely love it when I am deep in sleep and in my dreams I feel like I have the heat of the afternoon sun shining on me.
It's around 90F in my bedroom when I go to bed during the hottest parts of summer. My wife and I are perfectly fine with it. What makes it work for us is: a love of hot weather, spending most of our summers in environments that are no cooler than 80F, a ceiling fan, and no bed clothes.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 AM

6 posts, read 4,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I'm 150 6ft 1 in and I love the heat until the heat index hits 100f
Around here in the Central Valley of CA we are happy when it's 100 or less, hehe.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:28 AM

29,097 posts, read 24,068,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Cedars View Post
Around here in the Central Valley of CA we are happy when it's 100 or less, hehe.
Harrier bets that you are an insurance adjustor from Fresno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather