Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which all expense paid for trip would you pick?
Barorw, Alaska 29 44.62%
Honolulu, Hawaii 36 55.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,889,303 times

Advertisements

Let's say you win an all expense paid trip that you MUST take in July?

Would you choose a package that takes you to Barrow, Alaska for a 3 days (you'd fly to Anchorage, stay there one night and then fly to Barrow and stay there for 3 nights in a four star hotel. On your way back you would just fly directly from Barrow to Anchorage and just change planes (no getting out of Anchorage airport this time) for a flight back to an airport near your hometown- you would NOT have the option of exploring the rest of Alaska. Chances are it would be pretty chilly there- overnight lows around freezing and daytime highs only about 45 F. It could snow or it could be as warm as room temperature if they have a "heat wave" (like right now). You'd get to see the unique landscape, 24 hours of daylight, and maybe encounter a polar bear or two if you venture far from town. Not to much to do beyond visit a few museums, dare set your toe in the Arctic ocean, and explore the tundra but you will have bragging rights that you visited the northernmost part of the North American continent and it would be a "very different" than your standard vacation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow,_Alaska

Or would you choose a package that takes you to Honolulu, Hawaii? Summer there is only slightly warmer than winter and unlike going there in January, it's not like you get to escape your hometown's winter. You'd get to hang out on the warm tropical beaches, snorkel, swim in the warm ocean, hike in the warm rainforest, do whatever you want. It would be a direct flight from the airport near your hometown to Honolulu and 5 days and four nights at a four star hotel. It's pretty much your standard American vacation and nothing unique that provides bragging rights?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honolulu,_hi

Which would you choose? Don't just pick based on "cold" vs. "hot" but based on which vacation experience you'd rather have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM

I would pick Barrow just because of it's uniqueness. I would definitely be able to handle their summer temperatures if dressed warm (would not visit in winter though). It's truly a once in a lifetime experience and I would want to see the tundra landscape, the midnight sun, and the Arctic ocean. Hawaii is too normal- been there done that and I'm sure I'll have opportunities to go there again. It's also more expensive to visit Barrow, so I'll be getting more bang for my buck as well.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 06-20-2013 at 11:53 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
Honolulu ... but to be fair this isn't really a climate issue. I'd be bored stiff in Barrow because it's an overgrown village, not because it's cold! Honolulu has lots of restaurants, beaches, excursions around the Island etc.

Interest wise, though, I'd probably take St. Petersburg in April ( similar to Barrow in July ) over Honolulu. For me, the best part of good climates is that they allow you to go out and explore, but Hawaii just isn't that interesting to me bar perhaps the big Island with all its volcanism.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Well considering I'm actually going to Honolulu next month for real.. I'd take Barrow for the 3 days. If it's only a few days, I could find plenty of things to do and I could the handle the 45F weather as long as I pack my spacesuit

Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well considering I'm actually going to Honolulu next month for real.. I'd take Barrow for the 3 days. If it's only a few days, I could find plenty of things to do and I could the handle the 45F weather as long as I pack my spacesuit
I am SHOCKED considering how much you HATE cold .. I though you wouldn't even visit Alaska in summer even if some PAID you.. Let alone pick it over the tropics..

Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I am SHOCKED considering how much you HATE cold .. I though you wouldn't even visit Alaska in summer even if some PAID you.. Let alone pick it over the tropics..
well I actually hate snow more than cold... if it's 45F.. it probably wouldn't be snowing.. although I know it's possible in Barrow in July. If it's only 3 days and I packed my winter clothes, I'd be alright.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Sign me up for Barrow!

And try going to the Alaska forum and saying there aren't any good restaurants. They'll tell you all about Sam and Lee's! There is also Pepe's North of the Border. Authentic Mexican Cuisine! There are also beaches there, you just might not want to walk in that cold Arctic Ocean surf lol. And the tundra to explore.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
I would visit both places.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 AM

One other thing I forgot to mention but a small technical detail is that Barrow is not the northernmost town on the North American continent... that honour goes to Grise Fiord, Nunavut, population 130

Grise Fiord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Either way I'd put up with the foul arctic weather for 3 days at the height of summer to experience something totally different.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Barrow, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather