Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,647 times

Advertisements

Where is the thunderstorms on weather almanach of New York Central Park belvedere castle weather stations ?

Weather History for Central Park, NY | Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
I've noticed some stations don't seem to report thunderstorms in the weather history on Weather Underground.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
The offical station doesn't seem to record it much.

National Weather Service Climate

Choose "Preliminary Climate Report" and Archived Data. Then a month. Column 16 makes a note for thunder with the number 3. There's less than you'd expected. Either the station doesn't carefully record every one or there's a high threshold for thunder (maybe has to be particularly close?). I don't think the weather station records more info on thunderstorms than that.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:37 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
central park observation is from an ASOS. And there is a threshold in how close lightning is observed for when T is then carried in the observation. Sometimes too, some ASOS's may have maintenance issues and have a TSNO on the obs....thunderstorm info not available. During the winter time....there is staff (I dont recall whom) do snow meaurements...these are snow paid observers. Paid to record snow every 6 hours and snow depth.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
central park observation is from an ASOS. And there is a threshold in how close lightning is observed for when T is then carried in the observation. Sometimes too, some ASOS's may have maintenance issues and have a TSNO on the obs....thunderstorm info not available. During the winter time....there is staff (I dont recall whom) do snow meaurements...these are snow paid observers. Paid to record snow every 6 hours and snow depth.
I've always wondered about that, actually. How close exactly does lightning have to be for it to be recorded as a thunderstorm?

Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I've always wondered about that, actually. How close exactly does lightning have to be for it to be recorded as a thunderstorm?
Here is some info in regards to the ALDARS system used now for lightning/thunderstorm detection. ASOS will report TS if it detects lightning within 5 miles of the airport. Use VCTS within 5-10 miles of the airport. If there is an observer augmenting the data, they can change what ASOS gives them. I specifically dont know about the augmention of the central park ASOS site...I know must be a paid observer for snowfall. But I could be wrong.

http://ocwws.weather.gov/afp/resourc...qmt%20bltn.pdf

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather