Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 AM

361 posts, read 725,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not sure where you are exactly, but Baltimore has 3.2 inches of rain on average in June, and 10.8 days of rain (>0.01in).
Rockville-Bethesda-Silver spring areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You have a chance of thunderstorms every day. That doesn't mean it will rain every day or even most days.
But it's cloudy and it looks like rain. I don't think we even had chances of Thunderstorms at this time of the year. We're supposed to have sunshine all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:45 PM

257 posts, read 295,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I thought regular summer rain was a given on the East Coast. Don't summer thunderstorms happened almost every day in the Southeastern U.S. and at least twice a week in the Northeastern U.S.?

What's really unusual is the the SF Bay area which is normally BONE dry in summer, is expected to get 1-3 inches of rain over the next 3 days. Now that's almost unheard of in late June. I'm looking forward to it!
I am drooling. I lovingly remember my "dry" [really dry] years in southern CA. You did a better job of checking the weather here than I did before moving.
Yes, it rains daily here in SE - short bursts of thunderstorms nearly every day and they can be damaging. I think last week we had only 15-20 mins of severe [torential] thunderstorms. It knocked out my power for about 1.5hr, 350,000 people in general lost power, 1 death from a tree falling on a house. Power was totally restored in 4 days.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Well, This. I see Thunderstorms in my area as well, all the way though june 30. That's not typical.

Lol, so what is typical then, nothing but sun and no rain. June is just a little cooler than July but the same type weather. June is not a dry month. The dry month is October.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You have a chance of thunderstorms every day. That doesn't mean it will rain every day or even most days.

That is typical of the summer. I'm not sure what he thinks, but year in year out many days in the summer have a chance of tstorms. Most times it is only around 30%. Doesn't mean it will happen. But very typical when the humidity creeps up you will see a forecast like that. Parts of the Philly burbs today had thunderstorms with a half an hour of rain, others didn't get a drop.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM

276 posts, read 448,359 times
It has been a very wet, cloudy and relatively cool Spring and early Summer here in the MD/VA/DC area. National Airport has gotten almost 2x more rain than average.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
It's supposed to be hot, humid and dry.

In all the years I've lived here (MD), I don't think I've seen this much rain in summer. It's going to rain all week and the week after, according to the weather forecast!
What's going on??
Well many areas in the Mid Atlantic into New England especially near the coast are within the Top 5 and 10 all time wettest Junes. So its possible you never seen this much water. Whats the closet official station near you?

Quote:
Well, This. I see Thunderstorms in my area as well, all the way though june 30. That's not typical.
Thunderstorms not typical in summer in Mid Atlantic? Like nei said, it doesnt mean everyday it will rain or storm. But because of the ingrediants in place in the atmosphere over you there is the chance.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Rockville-Bethesda-Silver spring areas

But it's cloudy and it looks like rain. I don't think we even had chances of Thunderstorms at this time of the year. We're supposed to have sunshine all day.

Just saw this. Looks like DCA is the official station near you. So Baltimore-Washington is the Weather Forecasting office that covers you. NWS Baltimore/Washington Home page

DCA normal June rainfall to date is 3.02". They have 6.58" so far. National Weather Service Sterling

So probably not the most but in the Top 15 for sure.

June 2006 had 14" in June. http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/dca/dcaprecip.txt

Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 PM

232 posts, read 343,618 times
Rain is common in the East coast during the summer occuring once or twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather