Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate: Alexandria, Louisiana
A 3 5.56%
B 7 12.96%
C 19 35.19%
D 17 31.48%
F 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It might be hard to grow a decent size orange tree, but I think a decent orange is possible.

Looking at the stats over the last 10 years, there have been 5 years where the absolute low was -5C or warmer. Given the cheap cost of citrus plants, it would be worth growing them for just a year or to.

Hasn't been colder than -9C in the last 10 years, so there might be some mature citrus around somewhere.

NZ at 40S and sea level looks almost like a tropical jungle in winter compared to central Louisiana lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 12:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
NZ at 40S and sea level looks almost like a tropical jungle in winter compared to central Louisiana lol.
Yep, true. But I still reckon a decent orange would be possible in Alexandria, even if the bushes wouldn't last that long.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:38 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
My grandfather has an orange tree that is maybe around 10 years old that produces some oranges. I need to take a picture. It survived temperatures down to 16F (-9C) in 2010 and 2014. I remember helping my grandfather cover some of his citrus trees in 2010, but I don't think they were covered in 2014.

Satsuma and lemon trees are fairly common here.

Here's a picture I took of a satsuma tree in the snow in January 2014.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:24 PM

58 posts, read 35,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
C because winters are too cold. I am shocked that there were sugar plantations there!
The winters aren’t too cold and if you knew anything about sugar plantations you wouldn’t be saying this nonsense.

You’re the person that is so biased for Hawaii, you obsess over making sure it’s the only place in the US known for warmth? Right?

Old 01-04-2022, 06:12 AM

401 posts, read 256,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Don't think you can grow a decent orange there so I'd say a D given it is supposed to be subtropical. And it looks way too dead in the winter with all the deciduous trees around. Looks more like PA than it does a subtropical climate.
Look at this, you've been saying idiotic stuff for years on here, yes various citrus can grow in Alexandria, la just fine(someone esle mentioned sugar plantations too).

Here in Augusta, ga meyor lemons, satsumas, grapefruit, myrtle-leaf orange, kumquat, ect grows fine and is similar to Alexandria's climate.
I'm sure the tall washingonia robustas and live oaks that Alexandria has is growing in PA too right.

Anyways I'd rate Alexandria, la B-/C+, moderate, comfortable short winters with summers too hot and humid lasting too long,
It has changeable weather throughout the year which makes it interesting but seems more tornado prone.

Last edited by Emman85; 01-04-2022 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-04-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
My grandfather has an orange tree that is maybe around 10 years old that produces some oranges. I need to take a picture. It survived temperatures down to 16F (-9C) in 2010 and 2014. I remember helping my grandfather cover some of his citrus trees in 2010, but I don't think they were covered in 2014.

Satsuma and lemon trees are fairly common here.

Here's a picture I took of a satsuma tree in the snow in January 2014.
Beautiful citrus tree but they just ignore any photographic evidence.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:45 PM

207 posts, read 156,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
Look at this, you've been saying idiotic stuff for years on here, yes various citrus can grow in Alexandria, la just fine(someone esle mentioned sugar plantations too).

Here in Augusta, ga meyor lemons, satsumas, grapefruit, myrtle-leaf orange, kumquat, ect grows fine and is similar to Alexandria's climate.
I'm sure the tall washingonia robustas and live oaks that Alexandria has is growing in PA too right.

Anyways I'd rate Alexandria, la B-/C+, moderate, comfortable short winters with summers too hot and humid lasting too long,
It has changeable weather throughout the year which makes it interesting but seems more tornado prone.
Aren't kumquats hardier than satsumas? Would they be able to grow in VA for that matter? or even NYC?

Old 01-04-2022, 01:48 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,267,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Yep, it's very annoying to see thunderstorms coming up from the Gulf only to be decimated by high pressure dominant over inland portions of the state.

At least it's better than Shreveport in the NW part of the state. They only get 2.73 inches of rain on average in August and have 6.4 days of precip that month and even hotter temperatures.
That upper air pattern is strange. Both in how extensively it diminishes rain, as well as its existence in the first place. This is assuming that the high pressure in question is a subtropical ridge just like the Bermuda High.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonside421 View Post
Aren't kumquats hardier than satsumas? Would they be able to grow in VA for that matter? or even NYC?
Their hardiness seems roughly the same, zone 8b.

I don't think they'd grow planted in the ground long term in most of VA or NYC.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:44 PM

207 posts, read 156,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
Their hardiness seems roughly the same, zone 8b.

I don't think they'd grow planted in the ground long term in most of VA or NYC.
Probably true, especially when it will be 6 degrees in my home region in VA in the forecast, but what if one wrapped some heat coils around a satsuma near the roots and then piled up leaves and mulch to hide the cord, would that help to keep the roots at a minimum of 15-20 or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather