Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of this two icy climates is better?
tärnajokk's 12 60.00%
Mine (Caleb Yeung's) 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,939,563 times

Advertisements

I found it quite interesting to compare my dream climate and tärnajokk's, as we both have some awful (or good) features.

tärnajokk's dream climate is a cold winter, mild summer four season climate. Winter lasts from late October to early April, a short shoulder season and then transition to a 3-month mild summer, then comes the depressing fall. It's climate type is subarctic.

My dream climate is a cool/cold winter and cool summer four season climate. Winter lasts from Late November to Early March, very snowy and moderately cold. There is polar night from 1 Dec - 11 Jan. Next is the other major season, summer. Most summer days have somewhat cool or mild days and nights straddling freezing with overnight snow on some days. There is usually a heat wave, plunging temps into the low 30s C once a year. Polar day lasts from 1 Jun - 11 Jul. Spring and Autumn don't really have specific character, being a mix of winter and summer. It's climate type is tundra.

Is having the brutally cold winters and depressing fall of tärnajokk's dream climate's worth in exchange for a mildly cold climate without a true summer, but with the novelty of 24-hour sunlight in June? You decide...

Attached Thumbnails
Battle of the Icy dream climates: tärnajokk's dream climate vs Caleb Yeung's dream climate-kkuvqef.png   Battle of the Icy dream climates: tärnajokk's dream climate vs Caleb Yeung's dream climate-united-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 PM

504 posts, read 774,448 times
haha, nice....

Well, I'd actually vote for mine (what a surprise), but since you didn't vote for yours, I won't vote, either...
I just have to add that I changed my dream climate a bit recently... here it is:

So, basically, April got a bit warmer, July as well, snowfall was reduced from 800 to 650 cm, record highs were adjusted a bit, summers are cloudier now, whereas winters are a little less gloomy.. you can ignore the Humidex and the Daily means since I didn't adjust them, yet...

and I have to say that your dream climate is a really freaky one... I really have no clue what I would rate it... I'm totally fine with your cool summer avg highs, since I don't have a problem with cooler summers than in my dream climate... warmer summers are a lot worse. And that's why i find your record highs kind of annoying ;-).. and then there are the really strange avg lows with snowfall occuring in all months... The snowfall would be ok, but the lows are really a bit too low for me ;-)

Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,788,157 times
tärnajokk's climate is the preferable one for me. More seasonal with less precipitation!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:14 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,939,563 times
Well, tärnajokk, dream climate is DREAM climate, it is fictional and just for fun, it doesn't matter if it's real or not XD

I am actually quite surprised by the votes, I thought your gloomy fall is depressing, but it seems that the people don't care... Let's see when more people vote.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:21 PM

504 posts, read 774,448 times
yes... my fall is definetely pretty scary for most people but I think the people prefer my dream climate only because it has some sort of "real" summers (although they are very short and cool).

Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 AM

6,479 posts, read 6,112,813 times
Tarnajokk's, because I don't like freezing lows year round or tundra climates. Subarctic is much preferred as it's closer to my Dfa ideal.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:02 AM

962 posts, read 625,583 times
It was kind of a hard one, 50/50 for both. The OP's climate was better suited for me and I would have preferred that one, as it had freezing lows even in summer, but the record highs in the summer are crazy compared to tarnajokk's climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather