Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the UK have the most boring climate?
Yes 13 23.21%
Definitely 7 12.50%
Of Course 4 7.14%
No (I'm stupid) 32 57.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times

Advertisements

Based upon my experience - no!

Cardiff in Wales, and Blaengarw and Bridgend (both located on the south coast of south Wales), were sunny, warm and humid, around 28C as I recall, because these towns are on the sheltered side of the Bristol Channel.

Travellling across the Bristol Channel from Bristol, Temple Meads, England to Newport, Wales was something I thought would be a dream come true which didn't eventuate. I learnt something very new from this experience which was very suprising as I expected to travel overland from England to Wales which was not to be!
Travelled under the Bristol Channel which proved to be a shock LOL.
It was dark, wet and very cold with light rain in Newport and Cardiff being the total opposite. In fact they (Wales) have their own beer called "Brains".
Bristol was very, very windy and cold - in fact out of all cites and towns I've visited which isn't surprising considering that Bristol is on the exposed side - and Cardiff the most sheltered.
Bath was very wet with a lot of heavy rains.
Oxford sunny but very cold in the strongish wind.
London very changeable but the most humid and warm - if you can call it that - out of all UK cities.
Brighton warm enough to wear summer attire, 26C that day.
Manchester - very cloudy and wet like Melbourne - with the Pennies in the background (to the east).
Quite an experience walking around Westfield Arndale (Manchester city centre), Market Street, Salford Quays and Trafford shopping centre coupled with yellow trams.

Glasgow - very wet, dark and cold. Edinburgh dry but dark and overcast. Amazing how those two cities are just 45 minutes apart by train and yet each have totally different weather!
It rains much more in the west (Glasgow) than the east (Edinburgh) yet the topography doesn't differ that much.
I remember driving past Mount Annan (more than five radio/TV antennas) and the Gorbals - painted in such different colors - which brightened the rather drab landscape very rapidly. Drove all the way from Manchester (Fallowfield) to Glasgow (Bearsden) which took around 5 hours. Stopped at Carlisle and Lockerbie for "english cup of teas" and elevenses in the midst of torrential rain.
So the UK has a wide variety of everything :-).

To summarize - the north has the best of the cloudy and rainy weather and the south the least!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Based upon my experience - no!
Accidently pressed enter bar before I had finished this post. See next more detailed post. Delete this post please mods.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Of course - it isn't just down to you insistently telling us how cool UK summers are compared to Chicago, as if anyone is interested. I have already stated that the UK is relatively boring compared to continental climates, but it is not THE most boring, and is capable of interesting weather, albeit usually much less extreme than continental countries. At least the UK is capable of getting a month as hot as an average Chicago summer. At least it is capable of getting snowy, cold winters. At least it is capable of getting supercell storms. At least it get can get severe blizzards. It's more than what many places get. We get plenty of variable weather here, just on a more diluted scale compared to, say, the US Midwest.
That pretty much sums it up.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I don't know what you are talking about, thankfully the Met Office understand that summers have been cooler over the last 6 years

Yes but those 12C-13C would be mild in your location in January! You made out like it could be 2C in mid summer lol...

The LOWEST temperature I recorded last July was 12.4C.
There must be a massive heat island where you live because that is ridiculous.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Good heavens no. The UK does not have the most boring weather in the world.
I would expect that one of the many desert settings in the world would most likely be the location of the most boring & least unsettled weather.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Totally subjective, silly poll. One person's "boring" is another's ideal.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Totally subjective, silly poll. One person's "boring" is another's ideal.
Your "logic" is flawed, why would there be a poll if it was totally objective? It's BECAUSE it's subjective that there is a poll, you genius. Silly would be having a poll for a question everybody knows the answer to, like "what colour is the sky"? Because there is only one answer.

And it appears it has generated quite a bit of discussion, that's what these threads are for. Of course it is subjective and a matter of opinion, which makes debates interesting, but you wouldn't know what Interesting is RWood.

I had this idea because I was getting irritated by the repeated cloud problems during another high pressure period so it isn't intended to be a 100% serious poll. Does everything have to be 100% serious? If anything you and your boring attitudes are what is silly, and you should keep out of my threads thank you.

Last edited by Weatherfan7; 06-25-2013 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Definitely no. Nowhere in the UK, Lerwick included, is nearly as boring as the likes of Lima or Walvis bay imo. Only thing is that "interesting weather" is fairly moderate and rather infrequent, just like in any oceanic climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Cardiff in Wales, and Blaengarw and Bridgend (both located on the south coast of south Wales), were sunny, warm and humid, around 28C as I recall, because these towns are on the sheltered side of the Bristol Channel.

Travellling across the Bristol Channel from Bristol, Temple Meads, England to Newport, Wales was something I thought would be a dream come true which didn't eventuate. I learnt something very new from this experience which was very suprising as I expected to travel overland from England to Wales which was not to be!
Travelled under the Bristol Channel which proved to be a shock LOL.
It was dark, wet and very cold with light rain in Newport and Cardiff being the total opposite. In fact they (Wales) have their own beer called "Brains".
Bristol was very, very windy and cold - in fact out of all cites and towns I've visited which isn't surprising considering that Bristol is on the exposed side - and Cardiff the most sheltered.
You seem to have a habit of making generalizations about climates based on the couple days you've spent there. The stark difference you experienced between Cardiff and Bristol is most likely caused by the random weather fronts that hit the area while you were there by than long-term climatic averages.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:49 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
Your "logic" is flawed, why would there be a poll if it was totally objective? It's BECAUSE it's subjective that there is a poll, you genius. Silly would be having a poll for a question everybody knows the answer to, like "what colour is the sky"? Because there is only one answer.

And it appears it has generated quite a bit of discussion, that's what these threads are for. Of course it is subjective and a matter of opinion, which makes debates interesting, but you wouldn't know what Interesting is RWood.

I had this idea because I was getting irritated by the repeated cloud problems during another high pressure period so it isn't intended to be a 100% serious poll. Does everything have to be 100% serious? If anything you and your boring attitudes are what is silly, and you should keep out of my threads thank you.
Thanks for your praise.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

You seem to have a habit of making generalizations about climates based on the couple days you've spent there. The stark difference you experienced between Cardiff and Bristol is most likely caused by the random weather fronts that hit the area while you were there by than long-term climatic averages.
Yeah, Bristol has warmer summers than Cardiff and is drier on average. Cardiff is one of the wettest cities in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather