Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,505 times

Advertisements

Bit of a silly question I mean basically it's a Cfa climate found in many places of the planet.

But for the best combination of summer heat and humidity and mild winters Hong Kong seems good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM

800 posts, read 1,463,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeksil View Post
My favorites are generally cool-mild summer Mediterraneans, tropical places at elevation and cool-mild deserts. Preferably with low amounts of precipitation I prefer the Mediterranean precipitation pattern as well.

If it has year round 50s-75 highs, that's my kind of place

I would probably vote for central California coast though, as my favorite. While I like the idea of a total lack of precipitation in some places like Arica, Chile, the average temperatures are higher than ideal part of the year.

Specifically http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey,_California

The combination of weather and scenery is hard to beat in the Monterey/Carmel area for me.
This. Anywhere from Monterey/Carmel down to Santa Barbara, plus the San Diego area along the coast, is about as close to perfect as it gets for me. Just the right combination of mild temperatures year-round, low humidity, and gorgeous surroundings. Too bad it's just a bit outside my price range...

Old 08-06-2013, 04:39 AM

504 posts, read 778,657 times
great climates! ... and Hokkaido-snowfall in general is just sick... If the island was colder, it would be a paradise.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 AM

287 posts, read 448,502 times
Hokkaido and Northern Honshu are by far the snowiest areas in the world for their elevations. There are coastal cities which are snowier than Valdez (but with only 4-5 months of snow instead of 7-8) and towns that receive the same amount of snow of Paradise Ranch, but at elevations lower than 500 m. Some inhabited places receive almost 200 inches of snow in a single month on average.

However, my favourite climate is that found in any town higher than 1000-1200 m in the Alps: cold winters with plenty of snow, cool and humid middle seasons with beautiful colours and some freak snowfalls, rainy and mild summer with cool nights and many thunderstorms and very rare warm days, low sunshine year-round(but not necessarily extremely low). This climate is very similar to a cold oceanic climate that I appreciate very much and that can be found in Southern Alaska, Southern Greenland, Newfoundland, Northern Norway and, yes, also in Northern Japan (and in Southern Chile, but only on the mountains - on the coast the winters are too mild).

Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Fiordland/Westland's (West Coast of NZ's SI) wet and cloudy, especially for the SW - can't really say as sunshine is not recorded in Fiordland - climate would suit me just fine.
As for temperatures, daily lows of 10C in the summer, 15 during winters, and all year-round maximums of 25 - 28C with little humidity is my cup of tea
Most importantly of all - strong winds, if the flow is offshore and dry, is a huge na-na and a big yup-yup if it's cool and humid by way of an strong onshore flow with a lot of cloud and rain/showers

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 08-06-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 AM

688 posts, read 841,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Fiordland/Westland's (West Coast of NZ's SI) wet and cloudy, especially for the SW - can't really say as sunshine is not recorded at Fiordland - climate would suit me just fine.
As for temperatures, daily lows of 10C in the summer, 15 during winters, and all year-round maximums of 25 - 28C with little humidity is my cup of tea
Most importantly of all - strong winds, if the flow is offshore and dry, is a huge na-na and a big yup-yup if it's cool and humid by way of an strong onshore flow with a lot of cloud and rain/showers
Yeah is that right? Well bro, if you think Sydney's icy 20C westerlies are bad in the middle of winter, you ain't seen nuttin' yet....

Let's just say... the west coast of NZ and strong winds go hand in hand like heat and Death Valley.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
Yeah is that right? Well bro, if you think Sydney's icy 20C westerlies are bad in the middle of winter, you ain't seen nuttin' yet....

Let's just say... the west coast of NZ and strong winds go hand in hand like heat and Death Valley.
Oh yeah, that damn horrid icy westerly couldn't stop screaming its head off today, god knows why , - freezing! Very much like Victoria's cold winter northerly!
Wore long sleeved shirt, hooded jumper, hooded jacket, beanie, gloves and scarf to work as did many locals
Acclimatised much?

I very much prefer the former than the latter

Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Houston TX, Orlando FL, New Orleans LA >>>>>

But if Washington DC/Baltimore MD was 5 degrees warmer in the winter, with the same amount of snowfall (or a little more), that'd probably be my dream climate. But that place doesn't exist.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
Just about any Eastern Washington climate will do it for me. My only real gripe about it is that it can get pretty darn windy sometimes, but it is a small price to pay for the glorious, glorious climate as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather