Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:57 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Medellin is only considered "spring-like" compared to lower elevation areas at the same latitude which otherwise would have highs of 32-35 C. Anyone from a true four season climate would consider 28 C solidly summer-like.
Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Spring (April and May) high temperatures depend on the location, but overall, in temperate locations between 35 and 55 degrees from the equator, I think in April they can range from about 8 °C (46 °F) in humid continental climates with very cold winters to around 30 °C (86 °F) in hot desert climates, and in May they can range from about 18 °C in humid continental climates to about 37 °C (98 °F) in hot desert climates. Averaging them would give 13 °C for humid continental climates to 34 °C to hot desert climates.

It fits quite well for May in [/url]Bakersfield, California[/url] and Puerto Peñasco, Mexico for April. It's still much hotter than what I'd like, but if that's the spring, let it be.
I should've been I wasn't specific. I live in central Maryland.

So it's about relativity. I guess they weren't nicknamed by colonists from temperate Spain.

The colonists called Mexico City's weather "springlike" and it averages 70-80 every month.

Last edited by ialmostforgot; 04-22-2016 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
A cold-influenced 4-seasonal climate where they lack a 'real' summer.

For example Raleigh, which I argue is the 'perfect' 4 season climate see's snow every year but also averages 32C in July, a true summer. For them 28C would be transitional from spring to summer, hell many there might consider that spring weather. It's certainly spring weather here in Miami.
??

Fargo, North Dakota has very cold winters, with -17.7 °C (0.1 °F) average lows in January, but still, it gets a hot summer, with 28.1 °C (82.5 °F) average highs in July. It's not as hot as the typical tropical summer (31-32 °C/88-89 °F), but it still gets hot enough to actually feel hot (at least for someone who doesn't live in a tropical place). Hot enough to be able to wear "full summer" clothes?

If you say it doesn't get a "true summer" because it's not as hot as the equator, I could argue that Fargo doesn't get a "true winter" just because it's not as cold as Fairbanks, Yellowknife and Iqaluit, and only arctic winters qualify as true winters?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
I'm sorry I wasn't specific. I live in central Maryland.
Maryland's spring is still not as hot as Medellin

Old 04-22-2016, 01:08 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
A cold-influenced 4-seasonal climate where they lack a 'real' summer.

For example Raleigh, which I argue is the 'perfect' 4 season climate see's snow every year but also averages 32C in July, a true summer. For them 28C would be transitional from spring to summer, hell many there might consider that spring weather. It's certainly spring weather here in Miami.
We don't see snow every year, or at least serious measurable snow. I feel the past week has felt very summery and with us heading into may it can only get hotter,. 28 c is definitely not spring weather, for instance in the winter if we get a 60 or upper 50 degree day the meteorologist s will call it spring like. Truest spring month here is march, and even march gets summery days in the 80s, by mid April it begins to feel summery with summer underway by may. Most people consider 28c summer unless you are from a tropical place. Transitional from Spring to summer is more when temps are around 24 c to 26 c. . In a true 4 seasonal climate April is the truest spring month.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:08 PM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
Quote:
??

Fargo, North Dakota has very cold winters, with -17.7 °C (0.1 °F) average lows in January, but still, it gets a hot summer, with 28.1 °C (82.5 °F) average highs in July. It's not as hot as the typical tropical summer (31-32 °C/88-89 °F), but it still gets hot enough to actually feel hot (at least for someone who doesn't like in a tropical place). Hot enough to be able to wear "full summer" clothes?

If you say it doesn't get a "true summer" because it's not as hot as the equator, I could argue that Fargo doesn't get a "true winter" just because it's not as cold as Fairbanks, Yellowknife and Iqaluit, and only arctic winters qualify as true winters?
Well are we arguing based on relative? For them it maybe hot, but for me I'll need a light coat come nighttime, their average low in July is 15.3C, certainly not hot nor warm, but cool. I bet their dewpoints are fairly low as well and that 28.1C will feel kind of on the chilly side.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Well are we arguing based on relative? For them it maybe hot, but for me I'll need a light coat come nighttime, their average low in July is 15.3C, certainly not hot nor warm, but cool. I bet their dewpoints are fairly and that 28.1C will feel kind of on the chilly side.
How do you usually dress with 28 °C?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:11 PM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
Quote:
How do you usually dress with 28 °C?
It depends if it's cloudy or sunny, right now it's sunny and I'm in shorts and short sleeves but earlier this month it was low dew points, and windy and I wore a sweater. Around 28C during the day.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:13 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
We don't see snow every year, or at least serious measurable snow. I feel the past week has felt very summery and with us heading into may it can only get hotter,. 28 c is definitely not spring weather, for instance in the winter if we get a 60 or upper 50 degree day the meteorologist s will call it spring like. Truest spring month here is march, and even march gets summery days in the 80s, by mid April it begins to feel summery with summer underway by may. Most people consider 28c summer unless you are from a tropical place. Transitional from Spring to summer is more when temps are around 24 c to 26 c. . In a true 4 seasonal climate April is the truest spring month.
Yeah, maybe in general. Here, it's a tie between March and April, because it snows in the first week of March every few years, and April gets 25-29C days annually, and is very green by the end of the month.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It depends if it's cloudy or sunny, right now it's sunny and I'm in shorts and short sleeves but earlier this month it was low dew points, and windy and I wore a sweater. Around 28C during the day.
Maybe then the summers in Fargo are not as hot as you're used to, but would you really find them cold?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather