Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Majami is a troll.
I don't think he is. He's just expressing his opinions, just like anyone else in this forum. Just because virtually nobody agrees, it doesn't mean he's wrong, maybe many people in Miami actually think that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,054,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
It's quite cold, I'm not sure how you can call it a summer tbh. Some days in the 60s and nights in the 40s? Hell, with a reading of 6C they were colder than our January (8C).

Which enforces my point, not a real summer.
So, in Turku it is spring, and then it is fall.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:59 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I don't think he is. He's just expressing his opinions, just like anyone else in this forum. Just because virtually nobody agrees, it doesn't mean he's wrong, maybe many people in Miami actually think that way?
Yes, because people here tend to be drama queens.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:59 PM

892 posts, read 858,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
So, in Turku it is spring, and then it is fall.
Well you don't think Raleigh gets a winter, so they go from fall to spring? Same logic really.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yes, because people here tend to be drama queens.
Just about the weather? Or about anything that happens?

Quote:
Well you don't think Raleigh gets a winter, so they go from fall to spring? Same logic really.
I don't think that. Raleigh gets a winter. Like Melbourne does, like Lisbon, and like many other places. I don't think they are winterless. However, it must be said that the appearance of Raleigh in the winter is much different than the appearance of places like Fargo, which are snow covered most of the time in the winter. Fargo gets more stereotyped winters, but also stereotyped summers. Raleigh can get very cold during the winter, but not everyday, and their winters are not as cold as the stereotyped ones. Not an exact four season climate. Do you think summers in Durban, South Africa are too cold to be true summers?

Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 PM

892 posts, read 858,874 times
Quote:
I don't think that. Raleigh gets a winter. Like Melbourne does, like Lisbon, and like many other places. I don't think they are winterless. However, it must be said that the appearance of Raleigh in the winter is much different than the appearance of places like Fargo, which are snow covered most of the time in the winter. Fargo gets more stereotyped winters, but also stereotyped summers. Raleigh can get very cold during the winter, but not everyday, and their winters are not as cold as the stereotyped ones. Not an exact four season climate. Do you think summers in Durban, South Africa are too cold to be true summers?
I'm sorry but what you posted is not a stereotyped summer. It's more like a late spring in most of the 'normal' midwest, let alone everywhere else. I mean seriously, 40s in July? Christ.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:12 PM

No one said Raleigh doesn't have a winter. Just that summer easily dominates over winter in that climate.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but what you posted is not a stereotyped summer. It's more like a late spring in most of the 'normal' midwest, let alone everywhere else. I mean seriously, 40s in July? Christ.
It happened just ONE morning 😂

Old 04-22-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Just about the weather? Or about anything that happens?

Yes, in general.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:59 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,284,169 times
Quote:
You typed Bologna as your location, so I will talk about that city from a Wunderground.com/history point of view, during the whole of 2012 (I'm using this year, because Bologna got to the closest of actually having "winter").

January 2012 starts quite bad, with 27 days with temperatures rising above freezing, and 12 days ≥10 °C. Yes, in the middle of the winter.
Only 4 days had highs ≤0 °C, and only 6 days had highs ≤3 °C.
Only 2 days had lows ≤-5 °C, which disappeared at 9:20 A.M. the first time and at 8:20 A.M. the second time. Yes, if you want cold weather in Bologna, you have to go outside early in the morning, if you are lucky enough, you can get 2 moderately cold mornings in the whole month of January. LOL.

Maybe February 2012 will be better (?) (it's sarcastic, I already know how it is)

The first 13 days look like a normal winter, which looks very similar to average January weather in Chicago. And this was the coldest it got since at least 2010. The first 13 days of February 2012 were the only instance, at least since 2010, that got a temperature below -10 °C. In four season climates, temperatures below -20 °C are guaranteed every year.

After February 14, 2012, temperatures start to rise, and spring comes. The last temperature ≤-5 °C occurred on February 16. Goodbye winter. Towards the end of the month, 6 consecutive days of highs ≥14 °C occurred. It's finally spring.

No frost on March. Winter has totally disappeared. With 18 days of ≥20 °C highs, and 3 days of ≥25 °C highs, I'm not sure it would feel that cold. And, it should still be winter, after all. I know, that this was a very strong anomaly, but the coldest it ever got in March in Bologna since 2010 was a mere -3 °C, which happened just thrice in 6 years, and never made it past 07:20 A.M. and once it didn't make past 03:50 A.M. so the only times an average person could have experienced them were only 2 in 6 years. As you can see, winters in Bologna are extremely short. Temperatures ≤-10 °C are guaranteed every March in four season climates, and there's also a slight chance to get temperatures ≤-20 °C.

April is virtually frostless in Bologna, with the only instance of frost happening during April 2015 (and even so, I'm not even entirely sure, I checked the daily data and I didn't see any frost). Frosts are guaranteed in April in four season climates, and lows can get colder than -5 °C in some years.

May to the end of September is typical for four season climates standards, however, during October, there's a slight difference: the mornings are colder in four season climates and temperatures below freezing are guaranteed every October in four season climates.

October 2012 in Bologna had 24 days with lows ≥10 °C, and 13 consecutive days with lows ≥14 °C at the beginning of the month.

Frost isn't guaranteed during November in Bologna, the coldest it got was -4 °C on November 2011, and even so, it didn't get past 7:20 A.M.

Frosts are guaranteed in four seasons climates every November, and about half of the years get lows below -10 °C.

The coldest it got in Bologna during december (since 2010, if I have to remind you), was -9 °C. Temperatures below -10 °C in December are much more than just guaranteed in four season climates, and they've got a good chance to get below -20 °C.

Subtropical climates like Bologna aren't good to get 4 seasons. Well, maybe 3: spring, summer and fall. It just doesn't get full winter there.

A good place for four season climates is Madison, Wisconsin IMO.
wow, that's a thorough analysis. Actually I didn't even live there at the time, but just so you know, February 2012 had 70 cm of snow in the center and over one meter in the hills above the city. How's that for a city without a winter ?

Sure it is not a Chicago winter, but it's still a winter. Especially when it the humidity gets nasty with the fog and the constant thick air with really high dewpoints just below the actual temp which create a strong cold index (the way I call it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather