Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

Would a repeat of winter 2011-2012 but with more snow (8-12") be too much to ask for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Would a repeat of winter 2011-2012 but with more snow (8-12") be too much to ask for?
actually that might be too little to ask for

Old 08-09-2013, 04:53 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Yes we need 100" and three months of ice days.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
While searching for extreme temps for northern CT I came across February 2, 1961 at -23°F. So I went back to check how it looked...

This is what I want. Can't we have this for 2 months straight?

ESRL : PSD : Daily Climate Composites

Air Temp anomalies

mean 500mb heights . Kinda surprising it wasnt a defined trough in the East. Looks like it was focused on new England and Nova Scotia.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Saw that. He said there could be a lot of blocking this winter. If so it may resemble the winters between 2007-2010. Certainly seems that blocking is a common feature in the high latitudes this year.

Though I don't understand how and why he trivializes co2's roll in warming. I agree with him, decadal ocean currents are the main driver in global temps, and that if the NAO goes into a decadal cool spell as the PDO just has, our global temperature pause these last 15 years may turn into a decline ( as what happened between the 1940's and the 1970's). but co2 certainly plays a role as well. At least in the long term.
Nor do I. The serious folks in climate science seem to think changes in Co2 are one of the biggest players in the larger climate picture.

What really makes Bastardi lose any credibility (meaning he has none at all)… is that his premise/position about what is down the road is always the same, it will be colder and snowier everywhere – and soon. He’s beyond bias….he's fully obsessed with looking for only one thing – a colder and snowier pattern or cycle, and it's there no matter what the real data shows.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

Though I don't understand how and why he trivializes co2's roll in warming. .
Simple. 1930s was the warmest decade, how was the CO2 levels then? How about the period of Earth thousands of years ago that was warmer than now. How was CO2 levels then?

Point is.. We've warmed in the past when Co2 wasnt a factor so why are people so onto it now? Is it a part of? I always thought yes... until I saw records of CO2 levels in the past when we've warmed. Decade or long term scale

Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Nor do I. The serious folks in climate science seem to think changes in Co2 are one of the biggest players in the larger climate picture.

What really makes Bastardi lose any credibility (meaning he has none at all)… is that his premise/position about what is down the road is always the same, it will be colder and snowier everywhere – and soon. He’s beyond bias….he's fully obsessed with looking for only one thing – a colder and snowier pattern or cycle, and it's there no matter what the real data shows.
As a seasonal forecaster he is very good imo.....

He does have a strong tendency to push a cold agenda

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Simple. 1930s was the warmest decade, how was the CO2 levels then? How about the period of Earth thousands of years ago that was warmer than now. How was CO2 levels then?

Point is.. We've warmed in the past when Co2 wasnt a factor so why are people so onto it now? Is it a part of? I always thought yes... until I saw records of CO2 levels in the past when we've warmed. Decade or long term scale
Co2 is not the only driver in the earth's climate. We know we've been warmer/colder in the past where Co2 wasn't the primary factor (Little Ice Age, MWP, Roman Warm Period ect, Holocene Optimum).

Bob Carter illustrates, the fact that warm and cold spells have happened without Co2 in the past

However, over longer geologic timescales, Co2 seems to be a major control knob. We exited snowball earth because of hyper-co2, we burned up because of co2 during the Permian which led to methane hydrates release that caused a mass extinction.

If you have an hour and a half to kill watch this lecture from Dr Alley. Very informative piece on paleoclimatology

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/lec...eos/A23A.shtml

Bastardi's looks to ocean cycles foremost and solar cycles second to predict long range climate shifts. He is right. Oceans cycles are the trump card, but imo, PDO and NAO shifts are only on a decadal scale. In the very long term (century or multi- century scale), I think that Co2 will warm us if all other climate factors stay the same. The question is, by how much, and how long will it take. I certainly don't trust the climate models. We won't be planting Palm Trees in Chicago in 80 years that's for sure....

Dr. Bill Gray former NOAA Hurricane expert also has his cards on the oceans

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu/I...s/gray2012.pdf

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 08-12-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
I know a bitterly cold winter is too much to ask for for my area. But I'd love to see a month like January 1994 again. Here's the monthly history for the nearest airport:

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I know a bitterly cold winter is too much to ask for for my area. But I'd love to see a month like January 1994 again. Here's the monthly history for the nearest airport:
Nice! And here's how North America looked that month.

ESRL : PSD : Daily Climate Composites

Hartford, CT got 31 inches of snow that month. Mean High/low was 28/9°F

Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Yup, some pretty cold days and nights that month. I remember it well. I was doing HVAC work back then. Going out on a no heat call in the middle of the night in well below zero temps wasn't fun

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather