Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM

234 posts, read 214,645 times

Advertisements

Our local weather service had this image on their FB page about the ice coverage on the great lakes. Just wanted to pass this along. White shaded is ice coverage and Red is open water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,915,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
GFS is flip back to winter mode, and aligning itself with the Euro and Canadian models, not to mention the JMA

Thaw will be over in about 3 days for us....

JB calling for an eastern storm (2 of them) next week, and a cold "over the top" origin Arctic outbreak by the end of the month. No folks, winter is not over.

Lol George your cold bias is so evident. You keep posting every single shred of evidence for more severe arctic weather. I love how you cherry pick model runs.

What about this latest CFS run. Sure looks awfully cold for the US doesn't it. I don't know if this will pan out or if it will be really cold again. But you just keep posting every single image you can to try to prove it will be really cold. You really do belong in the most extreme continental climate on earth.

Look what happened to your cold week you posted:

Sure looks pretty mild for the rest of Jan for the bulk of us. Of course I don't believe these runs as much as you seem to (when they show cold).

Last edited by tom77falcons; 01-12-2014 at 01:12 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,915,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
The way you say escaped the warm up makes it sound like a bad thing. Nothing wrong with warm weather and besides since y'all are in the north east it will only get into the 40's and 50's maybe which is NOT warm really. Would still be chilly for someone like me in texas. A good weather person is someone who is not biased in their weather reports. You are so cold biased (along with chicagogeorge) it's insane. Do y'all not like being outside enjoying the sunshine? Those kinds of activities bring me so much joy. I guess y'all are inside people and when you do go outside in 10 degree weather you brag about having hardly any clothes on and sweating. The first thing that comes to my head is that anything like that would probably not be safe. I've been up to the north in the winter and it's literally painful sometimes in the cold and causes so many disasters and even deaths. How is that such a good thing? I count my blessings everyday that I'm in the south where our winters are mild compared to y'all's.

They are not nearly as cold biased as their hero Joe Bastardi. How anyone can take seriously his over the top biased blogs is beyond me. No wonder he was fired from AccuW (and AccuW is full of coldies).

Old 01-12-2014, 04:38 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol George your cold bias is so evident. You keep posting every single shred of evidence for more severe arctic weather. I love how you cherry pick model runs.

What about this latest CFS run. Sure looks awfully cold for the US doesn't it. I don't know if this will pan out or if it will be really cold again. But you just keep posting every single image you can to try to prove it will be really cold. You really do belong in the most extreme continental climate on earth.

Sure looks pretty mild for the rest of Jan for the bulk of us. Of course I don't believe these runs as much as you seem to (when they show cold).

Theres far too much mild air floating around. No one has really had a cold winter this winter.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:10 AM

83,493 posts, read 75,195,514 times
Some record Highs for yesterday in the East.. some impressive temps but I haven't checked how extreme it was compared to the monthly extremes. These are daily record Highs. Some of these locations broke a record minimum temp few days ago like Islip NY on January 7th of 7°F.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 69 DEGREES WAS SET AT SALISBURY MD TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 68 SET IN 1975.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 55 DEGREES WAS SET AT ISLIP NY
YESTERDAY...JAN 11. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 54 SET IN 2008.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 58 DEGREES WAS SET AT WHEELING, PA TODAY.
THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 58 SET IN 2006.

THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 67 DEGREES WAS TIED AT GEORGETOWN DE
YESTERDAY. THIS TIES THE RECORD OF 67 SET IN 2008.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 61 DEGREES WAS SET AT ATLANTIC CITY,NJ
TODAY, JANUARY 11. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 60 SET
BACK IN 2008.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 70 DEGREES WAS SET AT CAPE HATTERAS NC YESTERDAY.
THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 70 SET IN 1890.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 84 DEGREES WAS SET AT WEST PALM BEACH, FL
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 83 SET MOST RECENTLY IN

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 84 DEGREES WAS TIED AT VERO BEACH, FL TODAY.
THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 84 LAST SET IN 1972.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 86 DEGREES WAS SET AT ORLANDO, FL TODAY.
THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 86 LAST SET IN 1972.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 84 DEGREES WAS TIED AT DAYTONA BEACH, FL
TODAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 84 SET IN 1991 AND 1974.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 52 DEGREES WAS TIED AT MONTPELIER VT
ON SATURDAY JANUARY 11TH 2014. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 52 SET IN

THE LOW TEMPERATURE AT THE WATERTOWN AIRPORT, NY WAS ONLY 39 DEGREES ON
JANUARY 11TH...THE ESTABLISHES A NEW RECORD WARM MINIMUM TEMPERATURE.
THE PREVIOUS RECORD WARM MINIMUM TEMPERATURE WAS 37 DEGREES SET IN

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 60 DEGREES WAS SET AT BLUEFIELD WV
TODAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 60 SET IN 2013. OFFICIAL
RECORDS AT BLUEFIELD WV DATE BACK TO 1959.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,563,057 times
Quote:
Tom; I don't think there is anything wrong with exhibiting a bias in weather, as long as you're not working for a government agency like NWS. George clearly prefers cold weather, so will look for cold weather and not mild weather. It's like wavehunter, who can only post about mild weather and almost never cold weather.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:11 AM

Posted January 7th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Weeeeeee, riding the rollercoaster. Can't it just stay cold for 1 month? Euro says 20-30 above normal. Doesn't mean 60s but 40s most likely Sunday morning

Looks like the Euro on that update was off by 12hrs. It's not 20-40 above normal this morning but yesterday was, as you saw with the record High temps.

Looking ahead... here's what the 19th-22nd time period looks like

00z EURO-GFS-CMC 7-10 day 500mb Height Anomalies. All agree on the Ridge in West & trough in East. CMC more amplified and digs it more.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/CMCNA_0z/hgtcomp.html

Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 AM

Random location pick. Text data from GFS6z for Pittsburgh, PA.

I don't see extreme temps either way still for the Northeast. I do see snow in there and a snowstorm around the 22nd-25th but that's still long range. Look at the pressure drop which indicates a storm. With moisture and temps below freezing.

Looks pretty seasonable until around the 16th when the 850s drop off, then surface reflects it on the 19th with colder temps

Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looks like the Euro on that update was off by 12hrs. It's not 20-40 above normal this morning
Correction on that! I see it's not that far off this morning.

8amEST temps and departures showing it IS 15-25 above normal in the Northeast. 20-30 above in the plains. Look at Caribou Maine 32 above normal for that hour.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 AM

29,493 posts, read 19,594,184 times
Quote:

Yes, I cheer for cold weather during the winter, I am not afraid to admit that just as I cheer for hot weather in the summer.

I think we will indeed see an end to the thaw because of these two indicators below:

This was in our local weather blog a couple of days ago. NAO and AO are going negative

Quote:
They are not nearly as cold biased as their hero Joe Bastardi. How anyone can take seriously his over the top biased blogs is beyond me. No wonder he was fired from AccuW (and AccuW is full of coldies).
If Bastardi is cold bias, then he wouldn't really be "my hero" during the summer, as I like my summers to be scorching right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Theres far too much mild air floating around. No one has really had a cold winter this winter.

What on earth are you talking about? You must only be referring to Europe right?

This was December

and this was the first 9 days of January

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather