Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM

29,493 posts, read 19,594,184 times

Advertisements

As of today we are at the 12th coldest and 6th snowiest winter to date

8 day snowfall map looks promising

Two brief chances at freezing in Chicago during next 8-days, but may not hit 30°F -- following 8-days look colder

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,204,840 times
Fun things for my town:
Quote:
•37" of snow - a new record for the month of January.
•7 days when temperatures have dipped below 0 (all time record).
•28 consecutive days below freezing (all time record).
I was actually hating this winter for a little bit (gasp), but I got new boots and I think I can deal with the rest of winter now.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,862,293 times
There is a low pressure system coming in on Friday and I think we have a small chance of it being all snow.

On the 6z the snow began at 3am and lasted to 6am and then turned to rain to turn back to snow for 6pm.
But in the 12z the snow began at 3am and lasted to 9am and then to rain to back to snow at 6pm. If the positive uppers can stay away from here it is possible we will see a snow event. The met office have a warning out for scotland at the moment.

We will have to see what happens, I am praying the 18z brings the low further south again. (but not too far south).

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM

29,493 posts, read 19,594,184 times
Polar Vortex round 3

Quote:
Some fascinating stats on Chicago's salt usage from Streets and San. Snow's been spread 22 times---10 to 13-thousand tons per event--this winter. That compares to just 14 applications by this time last season and 15 the season before. The city has 70,000 tons of salt on hand and is delivered 9,000 tons per week by 35 private trucks.
This is relevant given the snowier weather regime which appears to loom. Look at 7-day cumulative snowfall estimates from two computer forecast models--the Weather Service's GFS and the European Center's ECMWF.
Snow showers may accompany a cold front Thursday. A possibly more significant snowfall could come with a late Friday/Saturday system we continue to monitor.

And just beyond the 7 day period is a much bigger storm that needs to be monitored. I heard on the radio a few minutes ago that it may have potential to drop over a foot of snow somewhere in the Midwest

Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,195,678 times
Superbowl must have some "good weather". How about 2" of snow with 25 F temps .

Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,752,507 times
12F and steady 7-10 MPH wind. Sunny. The Super Bowl will be interesting.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM

234 posts, read 214,645 times
A little slow on getting these loaded on here today. The snow finally ended today and the sun was out for a good part of the day. Was still bitter cold with the wind blowing so the sun shine didn't help much except mentally it felt warmer when outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Does Antrim county or Otsego county average more snowfall annually or are they both about the same?
I looked at the northern Michigan NWS and it stated that Gaylord has received over 125 inches of snowfall so far this season and that is where the office is.
Typically, our county, (Antrim) will receive more than any county in the state with the exception of Marquette Co., up in the UP. We sit right smack in the middle of the favored snow belts and like this time we kept getting pounded day after day. This was only suppose to have been a couple inches here and there, but once it started it didn't want to stop until last night about 1am, it finally wore itself out and died down.

Here is the front yard where I'm having the plow guy push the driveway snow to make room for the other half of winter to come yet. For a reference point, those piles he's pushing up are almost 7ft high and it's hard on his truck, but it's got to be done to make it all fit by the end of March.

I had to go to the post office since the mail carrier was unable to pull up to the box since Friday and I pulled up behind a vehicle to give a reference of the snow and on the other side of that snow is the state highway that runs through town. Which was snow packed and like ice with cars driving on it.

One thing my sister thought was cute was this sign about snowmobiles. It's not like they can even get to the sidewalk to begin with.

And this is the other state highway that runs east and west in front of my house just before coming up to my drive. It's going to be a couple days before this hard pack is cleared off of it. But hey, my mailbox is now plowed out for now until the next system comes through.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,752,507 times
awesome pics Moose!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM

83,493 posts, read 75,195,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMoose View Post

One thing my sister thought was cute was this sign about snowmobiles. It's not like they can even get to the sidewalk to begin with.

Awesome pics as usual! What a winter. I love that sign for another reason... because it's a sign for snowmobiles! lol That is awesome. Stay warm and safe. Keep em coming.

-----------------

And with any arctic air there's always chance of the Lake effect snows. Wind chills to 20 below zero in spots.

From Tom Nizol

"Meanwhile on the Great Lakes the lake-effect snow just keeps going on and on"

Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 PM

234 posts, read 214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Awesome pics as usual! What a winter. I love that sign for another reason... because it's a sign for snowmobiles! lol That is awesome. Stay warm and safe. Keep em coming.

-----------------

And with any arctic air there's always chance of the Lake effect snows. Wind chills to 20 below zero in spots.

From Tom Nizol

"Meanwhile on the Great Lakes the lake-effect snow just keeps going on and on"
One thing I forgot to point out in the pics was if you notice the first picture and then the others, there is only a matter of about 20 mins difference in the first one to the other three. That's how fast it changed from clear to being nasty again. With the higher winds those lingering snow band clouds move fast off the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather