Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Well... with the Pacific waters warming as we've been mentioning, an El Nino Characteristic is obviously setting up.

You can clearly see this with the current Water Vapor map..

Where these 2 meet is when we get exploding storms (aka Blizzards in Winter)

And we must consider the fact that this northern jet is driving pure arctic air into the U.S so the cold air is prime, and now the subjet is ready itself.

Now we wait.

A little touch of hint... GFS last 4 runs shows a possible big blizzard for someone around the 12-13th time frame.

Without a phase of the Jets you don't normally get storms to blow up. And of course we need other factors to fall in place too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
^^

GFS fliped to the Euro on another East Coast storm coming

Last time we had temps this cold, this early was back during the Dust Bowl

Lets rock and roll!

Climate model last update forecasting a cold December for Europe

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 11-29-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 11-29-2013, 08:33 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Things look juicy for big-time cold and snow in the bulk of December, but I'd like to point out an excellent example of how any kind of wintry weather in the South, even in winter, is feeble and fleeting. After the cold snap that sent temperatures in the teens and twenties, how about a 61F morning with high humidity in the first week of meteorological winter? That isn't wintry, festive, or even seasonal - that's just pathetic:

Also notice how the reliably seasonable cold nights and cold days are confined to the far north of the lower 48. Now, for the South I think TWC is a bit too warm for their forecast, and even if they are right cooler air will be coming in pretty quickly anyway, but my point is that any warmth and humidity of such a magnitude, no matter how fleeting, is a blight upon the winter season.

This is a good illustration of my basic worldview concerning American winters - in the South and to a lesser extent most of the country, warmth/mildness in winter is the rule, and wintry weather is the exception; during a cold winter you get frequent exceptions but still plenty of mildness in-between those spells, and during a warm winter the exceptions are few and far between. It's a gradient, of course; in a place like New Orleans there is almost never any wintry weather, and in a place like Chicago you still get mildness even in the coldest of winters but the mildness tends to be...well, mild in intensity (c.f. 2010-11). Once you get significantly north of the 40th parallel things start to change - in places like Minneapolis, a warm winter will still feature wintry weather but with plenty of mild and snowless interludes, but during a cold winter wintry weather dominates the entire season. It's only when you get into the Northwoods and many areas near the Canadian border that you get wintry weather predominating even during warm winters, with no mild interludes at all during cold winters.

That's why I have to laugh at attempts to extend the humid continental climate classification further south than it already is because winters are so cold south of Chicago or something - give me a break . Anyway, I don't want to derail this too much into a Koeppen brawl, so I'd like to point out that the southern half or so of the United States is susceptible to warm and humid nights even in the middle of winter, and even in a "brutal neverending winter" like 2010-11. A lot of it depends on your baseline of what winter should be like, I suppose, though I don't see how humid nights in the 60's could be considered winter-like; in most (or at least much) of the four-seasons part of the world most nights in summer are cooler and/or less humid than what Memphis is forecast to get to kick off winter. For some personal perspective, in my dream climate a night like that would constitute unprecedented warmth and humidity in the middle of summer, and such a temperature in December would break the monthly record high by 21F.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Things look juicy for big-time cold and snow in the bulk of December, but I'd like to point out an excellent example of how any kind of wintry weather in the South, even in winter, is feeble and fleeting. After the cold snap that sent temperatures in the teens and twenties, how about a 61F morning with high humidity in the first week of meteorological winter? That isn't wintry, festive, or even seasonal - that's just pathetic:
I agree. There's other seasons for that kind of temp. But let me point out how Dallas has been this month..

They were near 90 on the 17th and above normal mid November then take a look... crash. Snow in Texas and temps have been below normal for 8 days in a row now. Look at the High temps . Max temps are around what the normal lows are for this time of year within those 8 days.

So while 60s may appear again, winter has stayed in the deep south for quite some time and its not even winter.

Just judging by this alone you can see that it wasn't a slow trend down. That was arctic air just plunging into the U.S. A trend that could be here to stay through the winter. Some interesting times ahead

Old 11-29-2013, 08:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,470 times
I'm ready for a cold snap with highs below freezing and lows in the teens. Came close with this past one.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:44 PM

234 posts, read 214,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This was the 7am temps (not real feel) and departure from normal. Single digits in Iowa.

Cold for sure. Was only expecting about 12 last night according to forecasts. Took the trash out last night from Turkey Day activities and noticed not a cloud in sight and stars shining bright. Knew that wasn't a good thing to see even with the wind from the SE. At 8am this morning we bottomed out at -3. My Yorkies didn't want to stay out long when I popped the door open for them. Local NWS is saying a short warm up mid week and then expecting a pummeling of Arctic air coming down again next weekend. The warm up consists of being in the mid 30's during the day.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:03 PM

The typical cold spot but Wow 25 below zero now? That's what the Euro says today. That has to be some record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMoose View Post
My Yorkies didn't want to stay out long when I popped the door open for them. Local NWS is saying a short warm up mid week and then expecting a pummeling of Arctic air coming down again next weekend. The warm up consists of being in the mid 30's during the day.
My Labrador is loving this stuff with me. She wants to go for longer walks when its cold. And yeah, the "warmups" are not the warmups we've been accustom to over the past several years.

Like someone said before, this is feeling like the classic type winter.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:11 PM

BOOYA! That's the Arctic Express knifing into the Central Plains!

another look at 850-hPa temp anomalies of -24°C over Montana/Dakotas +6 days out

Yogi Bear better be hibernating already....

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 11-29-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
There is a cold blast headed out west this week. Lower Midwest and the deep south will warm up back to normal, and so will the northeast. I wonder what will happen if the cold front is exceptionally strong and freezing lows hit San Fransisco.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:18 PM

Euro, GEM, GFS, and GFS operational in 5 day increments

BUT the Euro long range

Quote:
Long-Range Into Christmas Week and Western Snowstorm
November 29, 2013; 3:09 PM
This is may latest interpretation of the ECMWF weekly long-range model.

I think the model is not warm enough across the Midwest/Eastern states for mid-December based on the projected phase of the Arctic Oscillation and the PNA. I do agree that the core of the cold should continue to hang out across the Canadian Prairies.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-week/20456869
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather