Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

What is the level of insect activity where you live, during winter?

Yesterday, while I was splitting wood for the fire, I got to wondering how the level of noise from crickets, katydids, bee etc here, would compare to other places in winter.

During winter days here, only rain, heavy cloud with no sun and frost still on the ground, would be quiet. Any other time the noise would be constant, ranging from infrequent chirps, to a constant noise (although thankfully, no where as noisy as summer). Bees would be out on most sunny days.

I wouldn't expect much from somewhere like Finland or Moosejaw, but what about other places with warmer but still chilly winters? -UK/Western Europe, the Mediterranean, PNW, the US South, Asia ... or anywhere really.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
You may see the occasional, fleeting spider, but in general, insects are hard to come by during winter. This was especially noticeable in the winter just gone. During milder winters, or milder spells in an average winter, you may see some bugs, but they're not a common sight. Definitely no bees, they didn't start coming out until mid-late April this year, nor do I see any flies.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What is the level of insect activity where you live, during winter?

Yesterday, while I was splitting wood for the fire, I got to wondering how the level of noise from crickets, katydids, bee etc here, would compare to other places in winter.

During winter days here, only rain, heavy cloud with no sun and frost still on the ground, would be quiet. Any other time the noise would be constant, ranging from infrequent chirps, to a constant noise (although thankfully, no where as noisy as summer). Bees would be out on most sunny days.

I wouldn't expect much from somewhere like Finland or Moosejaw, but what about other places with warmer but still chilly winters? -UK/Western Europe, the Mediterranean, PNW, the US South ... or anywhere really.
Little to none where I live.
The most we would have is a few small spiders but that is all really. It is a great time for peace from the insects.

In saying that I have seen very few wasps or bees this year.
You do not really have what I would class as a winter. 17c? Not winter imo, so any wonder you have lots of insects.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Winters kill off insects in my neck of the woods...ND/MN.....

Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I live in NYC, and the insect activity dies down a lot in the winter, but it never grinds to a halt. You won't see bees, wasps, dragon flies, cicadas, fireflies/lightning bugs, etc. But things like ants, flies, spiders, Mosquitos, waterbugs/palmetto bugs, roaches, etc. seem to never go away, the urban environment may be to blame.

I never knew Mosquitos could survive in the winter until fairly recently, but I've seen them and I've been bit, however they aren't as prevalent as they are in the summer. I've also been bit by spiders in the winter.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,748 times
Hardly anything generally, and I like it that way. If there's one thing I hate about nice summer weather it's the hideous insects.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
None. Cold-blooded insects can't survive freezing temperatures for long, though a few re-emerge in warm spells. Don't really come back until early April.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Winters kill off insects in my neck of the woods...ND/MN.....
Same here. There's really nothing around which is on the list of reasons why winter is my favorite season. Even Spiders are rarely seen roaming the warm inside of house.

if someone is seeing insects in the winter that quickly tells me it's not cold enough. But I might not know about cold surviving insects from other areas of the world if they do exist.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
One good thing about living this far north....is we have no termites in the warm season either and roaches are very few.... mosquitos are our biggest pest and we have lots of them.

--Dan

Old 07-13-2013, 05:30 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,267,639 times
hardly any, occasional small spiders maybe.

the thing i hate the most about summer is spiders, i hate them so much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather