Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were forced, which of these three horror climates would you live in?
Fogopolis 13 48.15%
Bakensteam 5 18.52%
Extemopolis 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,886,388 times

Advertisements

I created three fictional climates of horror; all three of them have conditions and temperature ranges that have all actually recorded on earth but combined in ways that are climatic nightmares...

1) Fogopolis- Extreme maritime climate that is smothered in fog all year round with no sunny breaks. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year, the residents get a glimpse of the sun peaking through the fog but it's very short lived. Very narrow temperature range and the only precipitation that falls is mist from the fog so precipitation totals are extremely low despite the maritime climate. A typical day produces anywhere between a trace and 0.10 inches in drizzle from the fog and that's it. No heavy or even moderate rain has EVER been recored in Fogopolis. In the entire recorded history, no thunderstorms, snow, hail, or clear skies have ever been recorded. The record for rain in 24 hours is a mere 0.35 inches from very heavy fog drip. It's never warm and never cold enough to snow...just gloomy foggy and chilly and damp all the time with NO variation.

2) Bakensteam- extremely hot and dry half the year and extremely humid, steamy and rainy the other half of the year. Temperatures are like a hot day in Death Valley during the dry half and you feel like you're in an oven. During the humid and rainy half of the year, the temperatures cool slightly but the heat index make it feel like it's even hotter than in the dry half of the year. Dewpoints during the dry half of the year are in the 50s with temperatures in the 120 range during the day. During the wet half of the year, dewpoints are in the mid 80s with temperatures in the upper 90s creating heat indexes of 140 making it feel even hotter than the dry half of the year. The rain is a hot, steamy rain so it provides no relief from the heat. You feel like you are in a sauna with no relief even in shade. Thunderstorms and torrential downpours are common place and the water feels warmer than your bathtub.

3) Extremopolis: Extremely continental sunny climate with horrific temperature swings. Winters are like Oymyakon and July is as hot as Phoenix. Only reason for the low sun totals in winter is due to the far northern latitude; it's actually quite clear but the cold is brutally dangerous. July is also quite hot but not as brutally hot as the climate of Bakensteam. Shoulder seasons of early fall and late spring are short lived but comfortable But are they worth the winters that provide a real challenge in terms of practical every day living, just like in the real Oymyakon?

NOW PICK YOUR POISON- which is the least of the three evils for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Climate battle- 3 different kinds of undesirable but realistic climates...-fogopolis.jpg   Climate battle- 3 different kinds of undesirable but realistic climates...-bakensteam.jpg   Climate battle- 3 different kinds of undesirable but realistic climates...-extremopolis.jpg  

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 07-26-2013 at 12:04 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 PM

I voted for Fogopolis; as gloomy as it is, it's far better to be comfortable in a jacket at 43f than have to go outside in heat indexes of 140 f and temperatures of -80 F..but I want to know what the heat lovers and cold lovers think...

Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,558,425 times
I'll pick Bakensteam (provided that A/C is available), followed by Extremopolis.

Fogopolis is a dry version of my nightmare climate.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:45 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,453,710 times
All three are horrible. Bakensteam is unlivable all year round so it's worst of all. Extremepolis is way too hot in summer and too cold in winter (I enjoy cold winters, but it's overkill), but it at least has some mild periods in transition of seasons. Fogopolis is way too cloudy and chilly all year round, despite its lack of severe temperatures, I'll probably more suffer of lack of proper warmth than of severe winters, so Extremepolis. I repeat, however that all three are horrible.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 AM

688 posts, read 841,517 times
Nothing "realistic" in the slightest bit about these climates

Old 07-26-2013, 02:18 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,180,202 times
I'll take Fogopolis - Extremeopolis is just too brutal, and Bakensteam is... well, awful.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,971,646 times
Fogopolis, provided I can have vacations to other conditions. Otherwise Extremeopolis. Barkensteam is like a months long heat wave here with a 'break' from death valley like heat.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,862 times
Bakensteam. Fogopolis looks too cold year round, and extremopolis looks too extreme. I could live in Bakensteam, especially in the humid half of the year.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
Nothing "realistic" in the slightest bit about these climates
All the temperature ranges and conditions are actually found on earth; I was thinking of making Extremopolis's winters like the South Pole but then chose to make them resemble Oymyakon instead because Oymyakon has a permanent population (generations of families) while the scientists at the South Pole have been cherry-picked to live there on a temporary basis. Just to make it technically "livable" even though unusual measures have to be taken in daily life as they are in the real Oymaykon's winters. Their brief very hot summer is based on Phoenix in July. Fogopolis is based on the Aleutian Islands with less seasonal variation, no sunshine, and I made the precip a lot less to insure only fog drip.Bakensteam is based on Death Valley during the dry half of the year and an equatorial rain forest the wet half of the year.

No- the conditions are FAR from desirable in all three, but still very possible..and that is the whole point of this poll.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
Fogopolis, provided I can have vacations to other conditions. Otherwise Extremeopolis. Barkensteam is like a months long heat wave here with a 'break' from death valley like heat.
A sun lamp, a membership to an indoor pool, and two week vacations to a sunny and warm clime each year bumps Fogopolis from the F- category to the E category for me. Bakensteam and Extremopolis are both solid Z's for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather