Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:18 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

This was the image that was "spreading" because media released an image of the North Pole before and after. I was getting texts from family and friends about it so it was spreading out there.

The Huffington Post even said "North Pole Before & After Melting. Now THIS is a wakeup call!"

It has been confirmed the webcam they were looking at was 350 miles south of there.

I doubt this was "just an honest mistake" ... Ironic how there was nothing about Lake Superior being frozen in June but they jump all over this one. #brainwashing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 AM

Context is lost without the "efforts" of the story on it.. So here's one write up. Pretty sure some outlets have deleted this whole story from their database if not by now...then soon. LOL

"
The melting ice caps follow a trend of continually rising temperatures across the globe, and the Northern hemisphere has been particularly affected

The North Pole turns into a lake: Webcam captures melting ice following a spell of warm weather

North Pole Environmental Observatory images show lake forming in Arctic

Temperatures over most of the region were one to three degrees Celsius higher than the year’s average

Some experts claim data is too weak to suggest decrease in ice is permanent

The North Pole may conjure up images of impressive ice sheets and freezing winds, but scenes from a webcam there reveal a different story.

Two weeks of warm weather in the high Arctic have caused an aquamarine lake to begin forming since July 13, according to the North Pole Environmental Observatory’s camera.

The National Snow and Ice Data Centre has reported that temperatures in early July were one to three degrees Celsius higher than the year’s average over most of the Arctic Ocean. "

Thanks to rapidly-melting ice, Santa Claus now has his own swimming pool: The North Pole is currently a lake, Canada.com reports

Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I doubt this was "just an honest mistake"
... Ironic how there was nothing about Lake Superior being frozen in June but they jump all over this one. #brainwashing
I think it was. Lots of news media coverage of science is incompetent, done quickly, without much checking. Mainly because the journalists know little about the subject and don't spend much time on it. The British Daily Mail, which posts lots of poorly done "global warming isn't real" articles repeated the same article:

How the North Pole is turning into a lake: Webcam captures melting ice following a spell of warm weather | Mail Online

Probably because they like page-clicks more than following their own biases. ClimateCentral, a website that believes global warming is a big danger, wrote an article disproving the North Pole claim:

The Lake at the North Pole, How Bad Is It? | Climate Central

Because the writers at that site actually know the subject. I immediately wondered the same thing when I saw the headline, because I know it's impossible to have something stayed fixed at the North Pole. Lesson is: don't get your weather and climate related news from general media sources, get them from more specific and knowledgeable ones. Not much you can do about non-enthusiast friends and family, though. Also, here's an interesting quote from the climatecentral:

The second thing to keep in mind is that melting sea ice at or near the North Pole is actually not a rare event. Observations from the webcams dating back to 2002, and from satellite imagery and nuclear-powered submarines that have explored the ice cover since the Cold War era dating back several decades, show that sea ice around the North Pole has formed melt ponds, and even areas of open water, several times in the past.

The webcam depicting what seems like open water is most likely “just sitting in a big melt pond” that has formed on top of the sea ice cover, Serreze said. This melt pond started forming around July 10, and is likely close to its peak depth and extent. The occurrence of a melt pond at or near the North Pole is “just not that unusual,” Serreze said, and is even less rare at a more southern location such as where the camera is now.

Check out the video made by the webcam (from climatecentral)

Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
The issue is far too politicized. As for their intent, well... not going to go there, but these "errors" are far too common.

Concerning melt at the North Pole, as your quoted article mentions, it is not an uncommon occurrence. Even though that photo was wrong.

Nevermind the political mentions, I am sourcing the link just for the photos mainly.

Source for photos:
Source for Photos

Here is the picture currently, the "melt" has abated it seems:

North Pole at various points in history:

So yeah, not uncommon even if it were a true story.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
these "errors" are far too common.
Yeah, that's the key.. they JUMPED all over the story but meanwhile they'll never jump on the Antarctica Ice huh, which last I checked is part of the globe. It's a game. Not sure whether its because the mass has the belief (brings in the views) or if its truely a brainwashing game.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
The North Pole has basically been below average in temperatures for the last 100 days

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php

Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
The North Pole has basically been below average in temperatures for the last 100 days

COI | Centre for Ocean and Ice | Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut
Shhhh! We're not supposed to know. lol

Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM

And now the Weather Channel gets on it. : smack:

You would think they found out the news that its not the North pole by now. Give me a break!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,099 times
I always used to think, when I was younger, that the entire north pole ice melted every summer. Guess I was wrong then LOL.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The Huffington Post even said "North Pole Before & After Melting. Now THIS is a wakeup call!"

It has been confirmed the webcam they were looking at was 350 miles south of there.
The webcam is called a "drifting North Pole webcam" for a reason. It starts out at the North Pole but the ice drifting gradually carries it farther away from the pole.

Quote:
I doubt this was "just an honest mistake" ... Ironic how there was nothing about Lake Superior being frozen in June but they jump all over this one.
Well, I've seen quite a bit of stupidity on the part of the media; most likely this is stupidity combined with wishful thinking and plain, simple bias. The climate issue has become extremely politicized, which is the price we all pay when people equate science with policy positions. As Nomander pointed out, it is not uncommon for open water to exist in the North Pole region as part of the drifting of the sea ice - wind and water currents break apart sections of ice giving an opening for submarines to surface. It's also common for melt ponds to form on top of the sea ice during the melt season.

If we were talking about wholesale melting of the Pole, that would be a very different story, but that would require a record-low sea ice extent, and sea ice extent this year has improved tremendously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather