Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

Interesting...this is only about twenty minutes down the road from me:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK NY HAS CONFIRMED A
TORNADO NEAR PARAMUS IN BERGEN COUNTY NEW JERSEY ON OCTOBER
7 2013.

BASED ON DOPPLER WEATHER RADAR DATA...A STORM SURVEY AND INFORMATION
FROM THE LOCAL MEDIA...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CONFIRMED AN EF1
TORNADO ACROSS CENTRAL BERGEN COUNTY.

AS A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS MOVED NORTHEAST...A PORTION OF
THE LINE ACCELERATED AND PRODUCED A WEAK TORNADO AS IT MOVED
NORTHEAST ACROSS BERGEN COUNTY.

BOTH RADAR AND OBSERVED DAMAGE PATTERNS SHOWED ROTATION NEAR AND
AT GROUND LEVELS. COUPLED WITH EYEWITNESS REPORTS OF A TORNADO...A
TORNADO WAS CONFIRMED.

THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE OCCURRED IN THE GEORGE WASHINGTON
MEMORIAL PARK CEMETERY NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF PARAMUS AND
CENTURY ROADS AND IN THE PARAMUS GOLF AND RIDGEWOOD COUNTRY
CLUBS...WHERE TREES WERE SNAPPED AND UPROOTED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
lows for tonight in the interior lake region of south florida will be dropping into the the mid 60s for the first time tonight. which means that for those areas summer will have ended. However, here in miami-dade and broward counties lows will remain in the mid 70s with summer still entrenched. it fascinates me how you can draw a clear line between seasons and how fall has already started in central florida is starting around Lake O and is still summer in the metro area.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Interesting...this is only about twenty minutes down the road from me:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK NY HAS CONFIRMED A
TORNADO NEAR PARAMUS IN BERGEN COUNTY NEW JERSEY ON OCTOBER
7 2013.
That was the squall line day which broke up over the CT border. Did you feel any extra winds or see some funky clouds? or see any Hail?

I remember over the summer a Tornado touched down 15 minutes from here and my winds gusts were not even over 20mph but I did notice clouds lifting vertical and darker in spots. Atmosphere was doing interesting things.

but isn't it funny how a Tornado can happen short distance away and nothing happen where you are?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That was the squall line day which broke up over the CT border. Did you feel any extra winds or see some funky clouds? or see any Hail?

I remember over the summer a Tornado touched down 15 minutes from here and my winds gusts were not even over 20mph but I did notice clouds lifting vertical and darker in spots. Atmosphere was doing interesting things.

but isn't it funny how a Tornado can happen short distance away and nothing happen where you are?
I didn't notice anything. Just some heavy rain and wind. A friend of mine who lives in the town over (about 10 minutes away) lost a couple of branches, but honestly it didn't seem too bad where I was.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM

12zGFS tomorrow afternoon has a 992mb Storm over Plains (maybe flooding issues with current snowpack) & a 1009mb coastal storm Friday afternoon. I wonder if this is the theme/setup for the upcoming winter .

Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM

623 posts, read 675,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Snowing at Latitude 35.94°N at 6600'. Is that interesting or typical for the U.S?
Looking at stations in the Grand Canyon that show up in WRCC, Grand Canyon Natl Park, station 023591, averages 0.8" in October, and 12/53 Octobers had measurable snow, at 6890 ft. Grand Canyon Natl Park, station 023595, at 6980/6960 ft averages 1.4 with 7/20 seeing snow. Grand Canyon N P 2, at 6790, averages 1.2" and 7/35 saw snow.

So it doesn't happen every year there, but not rare either.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Something you guys might find interesting....

So this so called coastal storm I didn't buy into the hype about is proving me right. But Here's something Steve D mentioned which is kinda cool. The dry air was obvious and I kept pointing that out but he says the rains over PA caused the air to sink near the coast and limiting the rain there.

Put it this way, it was supposed to be raining today and there's blue skies over me now with a coastal storm to the south. LOL

More rain and wind on the way :: NY NJ PA WEATHER

While much of eastern Pennsylvania has experienced moderate to heavy rain all day, much of the region to the east of the Delaware River has experienced cloudy, raw, drizzly, and cool weather conditions.

The reason for the lack of heavy rainfall along the coast so far is due to two factors.

The first factor is that the steady, moderate to heavy rainfall over eastern Pennsylvania is limiting rainfall development along the coast. Basically due to orographic lifting, which is lifting enhanced by moisture lifted due to increasing regional elevation, sinking air has become enhanced along the coast. This factor has limited rainfall development this afternoon.

The second factor can be seen on the water vapor satellite image above that shows dry air at 500 MB and 800 MB has invaded much of New Jersey, southeastern New York, and Connecticut. As a result, while the lower levels of the atmosphere are clearly moisture saturated, the mid levels are not. As a result, the rainfall has been scattered and light. Most locations are reporting drizzle to reflect the very moist environment from 850 MB down to the surface.

While rainfall has under produced so far along the coast this afternoon, these breaks in the rainfall are not expected to last much longer based on the latest RAP guidance and observations. As the 500 MB low over Virginia shifts off the coast and elongates this evening, winds at the mid levels will shift to the east and drive moisture from the Atlantic at 500 MB down to the surface into the northern Mid Atlantic. Meanwhile, the 850 MB low level jet stream, which also transports moisture into the region is also expected to strengthen leading to more concentrated lifting over eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, southeastern New York, and Connecticut. This enhanced lifting and stronger moisture transport will lead to widespread rainfall tonight through tomorrow. The rainfall will come in waves with breaks in the steady rainfall still expected with periods of drizzle.

Additional rainfall tonight through Sunday will range from 0.50 inches to 1.00 inch over Connecticut, the Hudson River Valley, and northeastern Pennsylvania and 1.00 inch to 2.50 inches over southeastern Pennsylvania including Philadelphia, New Jersey, and the rest of southeastern New York including New York City.

Look at the radar. Storm near NC/VA and no rains rotating into the coast or along the coast. They are blowing up interior. Orographic lifting.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 PM

29,529 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Looks like a Greenland block is going to bring much colder air into the eastern US next week.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Ugh, today was cold enough, and it was in the low/mid 60's (but cloudy).

Old 10-11-2013, 01:00 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Had our first frost today!!' Woop woop!

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/208/y6bk.jpg/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather