Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 12:39 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times

Advertisements

What is the relationship between how much outdoor activity you like and your weather preferences? It seems to me that people who prefer extreme temperatures or high rainfall tend to be less active and those who prefer lower rainfall and moderate seasons tend to be more active. If it's very hot, it's hard to do much activity without sweating excessively or worrying about heat exhaustion but if your outdoor activity is going to the beach, then these would work. People who want extreme cold where you either can't go outside or need many bulky layers also don't seem as active unless they're big skiers. Same with rain lovers as having puddles, rain and mud limits many outdoor activities.

I am a very active person. I run almost year round and spend my summers hiking, camping, fishing and backpacking out west. I also play ultimate frisbee in spring and fall and disc golf in the summers. I think this is a major reason for my dislike of rain since I don't want it ruining my plans or making being outdoors unpleasant.

I'm curious to see people's responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 12:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
I don't play football (soccer) anymore, so most of my outdoor activities are biking and walking. My dream climate has average summer highs around 27C (80F), but also snowy winters which hampers these activities. Rainfall in my dream climate is moderate (750mm/29.7in) and evenly distributed throughout the year.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
My ideal climate is pretty wet, has warm to hot summers and cold winters and I'm moderately active. I like to hike, but almost exclusively in mountainous areas, so heat isn't a problem. I jog rather frequently throughout the year, but indeed less in summer because of warmth and humidity. It's nice to have some sort of a forced break from running, especially since I don't particularly like it. But by saying "forced break" I'm fooling myself, as Nice's summers are easily compatible with an active lifestyle if you're in shape, plenty of people run year-round there. I did have a jog around solar noon on one of the most humid days of summer 2015, following the hottest low on record and didn't notice much of a change in stamina. And after all Alex runs year-round in Miami of all places. It's really a lack of motivation.

Regarding cold winters, my ideal climate is pretty snowy and I love cross-country skiing.

As for the rainy days, well that's what the gym is for.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:15 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
I definitely prefer mild temps for being outside. 50s and 60s are great for any sort of strenuous activity where I'll work up a sweat. 70s and 80s are great for lounging outside or driving with the windows down. We get a lot of 90s but with a lake house we have the water to enjoy and some amazing evenings. Also have the mountains nearby to hike which is a lot cooler in the summer. And honestly, I'll go walking in the 90s anyway. I was spending the night in Meridian, MS last June but during the afternoon I went and walked around a really nice park they have south of town. It was 93 degrees but not too humid and I wasn't the only one out and about.

I don't have much use for cold temps. Snow is nice to look at when we get it but not so nice to deal with. I'm not into winter sports which isn't too surprising given Atlanta isn't really conducive to them but I'm ok with that. I've exercised in the cold and it's just as uncomfortable as when it's really hot. Just a different feeling.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:32 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times
I like a long period of warmth for hiking. After hiking in the southwest the last couple of summers, I don't mind the dry heat at all and I can just drink plenty of water. Running in the high 80s and 90s in the summer can be annoying, but not bad at all. Again, I'll just carry water with me and try to stay in shaded areas. I would like to have mountains nearby to ski in but I don't want to have a snowpack around for more than a week at a time. I don't mind running in the cold at all, I can just wear layers so if it's 25 or 30, especially with sun, I'll still run. There's something very refreshing about a cold weather run. Another reason I like a hot summer is to swim, going to the pool/beach in cool or even warm weather doesn't appeal to me. Cool summer nights are also nice for an evening run. As for rain, the drier the better. Hiking in the rain is downright unpleasant and it obscures the views and rubbing in the rain is equally awful and my shoes get all wet and soaked. The treadmill and the gym are boring af so I would much rather be outside with out rain. Rain is also annoying for frisbee, don't want to lay out in puddles or run through mud or have the disc slipping of my hand. Temperature doesn't matter for frisbee playing, since I'll get warm from the activity of its cold and dry heat doesn't bother me at all.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:46 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
I consider myself fairly active, and I enjoy a good variety in weather. I don't mind cold, snow, rain, heat etc. Battling elements can make doing outdoor activities more exciting, can be annoying at times yes, but overall I don't care about battling the elements. Honestly I think it's a thing of resilience, some people look outside and see one cloud or it's one degree below 70 F and think they have to stay inside.

That being said, I don't want to be outside during an F5 tornado or a -80 F blizzard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather