Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 01:32 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times

Advertisements

B87 would probably use a weather station that's located right next to the opening gates of hell to prove that London is warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 01:38 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I replied to a Chinese person who was annoyed how Western athletes didn't respect Chinese athletes in the proper manner. I said "well, ching chong, hong kong". That phrase is used in Finnish as, "oh well, cultural differences. Sometimes used as well as derogatory, sometimes innocent, sometimes racist". I googled that "ching chong" is a racist term in the US. I didn't know it at all before I googled what was so racist in my post.

Well, anyway, I made a mistake, but me labeled as a racist seems unfair. Especially when on the Europe forums you can call any Muslim a subhuman without any sanctions.
Tempted to start a thread asking If Muslims are subhuman in the Europe forum.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I replied to a Chinese person who was annoyed how Western athletes didn't respect Chinese athletes in the proper manner. I said "well, ching chong, hong kong". That phrase is used in Finnish as, "oh well, cultural differences. Sometimes used as well as derogatory, sometimes innocent, sometimes racist". I googled that "ching chong" is a racist term in the US. I didn't know it at all before I googled what was so racist in my post.

Well, anyway, I made a mistake, but me labeled as a racist seems unfair. Especially when on the Europe forums you can call any Muslim a subhuman without any sanctions.
That sounds completely retarded and petty. Clearly an honest mistake on your part, I didn't even know "Ching Chong" was a racial slur here lol.

Agreed regarding the second part. I see people say incredibly racist **** about Muslims all the time with no penalty on this forum. Ridiculous.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:41 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
B87 would probably use a weather station that's located right next to the opening gates of hell to prove that London is warm.
Lol, is that not the problem lamex had. He kept using suspicious weird stations to represent an entire metro area.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:46 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Wait what! It's on a roof! LOL Of course that would raise the temperatures and skew the means. Their hasn't been a roof top station in Chicago since the late 1800's when the official station was on the roof of the old courthouse building LOL
It was an official WMO weather station, though it closed in 2010. It was also about 60m off ground level.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:48 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
LWC is a non-standard rooftop site anyway so it doesn't really matter what temperatures it records - it doesn't count. The only reason he keeps quoting it is because it gives unusually high minima, with being on a roof and everything
Really? I didn't know that! Oddly, he refrained from mentioning that rather important point.I
I suppose LWC data should be dismissed completely from now on, as clearly having a rooftop station is just ridiculous.

Where was the Leeds WC situated?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:04 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It was an official WMO weather station, though it closed in 2010. It was also about 60m off ground level.
How can it be an official WMO station when one of the parameterss is that temperatures must be taken at 2m above ground.

Rooftop stations are known to overheat actual temperatures.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 09-08-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 02:10 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Really? I didn't know that! Oddly, he refrained from mentioning that rather important point.I
I suppose LWC data should be dismissed completely from now on, as clearly having a rooftop station is just ridiculous.
But what about all those impressive winter nights they get that are 5C milder than everywhere else in the country when they have the heating on inside?

Quote:
Where was the Leeds WC situated?
No idea tbh, tried a quick Google search and didn't find anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge

How can it be an official WMO station when one of the parameterss is that temperatures must be taken at 2m above ground
Must have been an oversight. As far as I am aware the Met Office didn't count it as official, or stopped counting it as official at some point.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:11 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
We had 4 consecutive days over 68F last month. There were a total of 5 other days that saw temperatures reach this high, or higher. The other 22 days had highs below 68.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:14 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
But what about all those impressive winter nights they get that are 5C milder than everywhere else in the country when they have the heating on inside?

No idea tbh, tried a quick Google search and didn't find anything.

Must have been an oversight. As far as I am aware the Met Office didn't count it as official, or stopped counting it as official at some point.

Makes no sense, and clearly this disqualifies LWC in temperature data imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather