Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,564,279 times

Advertisements

I'd go with Utah over those lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,675,377 times
Cost of living. Would love to live in San Francisco or Seattle, but both are too expensive. I'm almost debt free so I will probably give Seattle a whirl in a few years.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,199,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Which Canadian cities?
I'm pretty open. Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, maybe Halifax (it might be too small for my liking). I would be fine with Toronto and various southern Ontario cities—they're on the cooler side to the point where they get noticeably better weather year-round than where I currently am.

Vancouver has a lot of jobs in my industry, but then again I could go to Seattle and get similar weather. If I ever get sick of snowy winters, that region would be where I would go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm not sure my preferred climes exists! I'd love summers in the upper 80s, and snow in the winters. I want all 4 seasons, and I want low humidity year round.
Sounds like Salt Lake City, Eastern Washington, and the Front Range.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM

175 posts, read 593,673 times
Interesting post! Up until last year, I lived all my life in Illinois - hot and humid summers and cloudy, cold and damp winters with snow. The older I got, the more I wanted a sunny, dry, warm climate - especially after visiting many places over the years. The two things that kept us from moving were family and work.

As technology advanced, my employer became open to teleworking arrangements (one roadblock solved). I also convinced family to move with us (wasn't hard after they visited). So, last fall we all moved to southwest Utah, which is my ideal climate: 320+ days of sun, dry, mild winters with no snow, and plenty of outdoor activies year-round. Great for boating, hiking, skiing, mountain biking. In the spring, you can actually snow skin in the morning and water ski in the afternoon with very little drive time. During the hot summers, it's just a quick 30 minute drive to higher elevations where it's 20+ degrees cooler. Just interesting to consider - there are places where you can experience all 4 seasons within an hours drive, without having to live in all 4 seasons. We took a risk and it paid off. Where there's a will, there's often a way. My advice - find a way.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,648,488 times
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOutsideAndPlay View Post
Interesting post! Up until last year, I lived all my life in Illinois - hot and humid summers and cloudy, cold and damp winters with snow. The older I got, the more I wanted a sunny, dry, warm climate - especially after visiting many places over the years. The two things that kept us from moving were family and work.

As technology advanced, my employer became open to teleworking arrangements (one roadblock solved). I also convinced family to move with us (wasn't hard after they visited). So, last fall we all moved to southwest Utah, which is my ideal climate: 320+ days of sun, dry, mild winters with no snow, and plenty of outdoor activies year-round. Great for boating, hiking, skiing, mountain biking. In the spring, you can actually snow skin in the morning and water ski in the afternoon with very little drive time. During the hot summers, it's just a quick 30 minute drive to higher elevations where it's 20+ degrees cooler. Just interesting to consider - there are places where you can experience all 4 seasons within an hours drive, without having to live in all 4 seasons. We took a risk and it paid off. Where there's a will, there's often a way. My advice - find a way.
I loved the area near St Goerge, lucky you!

I remember it being the city that the palm trees started, as you go south.

Nice size retirement city I've heard.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,710,317 times
I remember actually shivering when having lunch in a restaurant in St George. The tenants liked their AC icy cold, I bet they didn't live there for climatic purposes! Stepping outside in the 100°F air was a welcomed relief.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,764,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Many people have a preferred climate but don't live there. If not, then what prevents you from moving & living in your preferred climate?
One or more of the following, to varying degrees:

1) Distance from family.

2) Uber-liberal politics.

3) Cost of living.

My ideal climate, at least for my own health, is met by several counties in the Smoky Mountains / Allegheny Mountains, and a bunch of counties on the Pacific seaboard. The Smokies are too far from our families despite generally conservative politics, the Pacific Seaboard counties are too liberal (and often very expensive), and the Alleghenies aren't much better. Alaska is a possibility but it's way too far from family. Unfortunately, the people who are most like me live mostly in climates that I couldn't tolerate easily.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,998,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Many people have a preferred climate but don't live there. If not, then what prevents you from moving & living in your preferred climate?
I am living in my preferred climate (SF Bay Area). Cost of living is probably the only reason I would ever leave.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,343,028 times
Family and work .
If I didn't have either, I would have left this horrible too-frequent-arid/sunny and forsaken country years ago!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,868,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Family and work .
If I didn't have either, I would have left this horrible too-frequent-arid/sunny and forsaken country years ago!
Where would you have gone? NZ? What about Tassy in your own country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather