Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: deneb78's climates
Toronto 15 34.09%
Vancouver 6 13.64%
Ottawa 11 25.00%
Shenzhen 12 27.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times

Advertisements

Here is a climate battle for all the climates that I've ever lived in:

Toronto, ON (where I was born and spent my early childhood)
Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vancouver, BC (my current hometown and where I've lived most of my life)
Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ottawa, ON (where I went to college)
Ottawa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shenzhen, China (where I lived for a year and loved the climate but hated everything else)
Shenzhen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me Shenzhen was by far the best climate I've ever lived in and I'd love to live in a tropical or at least subtropical climate again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
I pick Ottawa, naturally.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
Ottawa, although I am NOT thrilled about the precipitation or the humidity there! However I like it over Toronto for higher snowfall and chillier winters. Vancouver is much too much like Seattle (they are so close together after all), and that China one, well, we all knew there wasn't a chance in hell I'd be voting for that one. lol

Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,590,086 times
I prefer Toronto, for it's warm summers and moderately cold and snowy winters. Ottawa is a little on the cold side while Vancouver is too temperate. Shenzhen summers are long and the heat and humidity is oppressive.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM

233 posts, read 333,697 times
Shenzhen is out of question for me: summers are very long and very humid and I can't stand rain in the summer season. Vancouver has a monotone weather pattern: there is no big difference between the 4 seasons and that makes it boring. Snow is uncommon in Vancouver and sun is almost missing there.
So that keeps us with Ottawa and Toronto. Well I have to admit that Toronto has better winters because of its southern location: winter lows in Ottawa are actually very chilly (-14C!!). Toronto has a milder version of Ottawa climate which seems better but the humidity there makes the cold colder and the hot suffocating due to its location on the Grand Lakes. Ottawa has of course drier air conditions so that we would ACTUALLY feel the temperature almost the same as in Toronto which is windy as well.
However summers seem to be a little bit warmer in Toronto with also a little bit less precipitation.
Toronto wins! Ottawa lies not far in my classification. Let us say Toronto: 8.5/10, Ottawa 8.0/10!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
It's interesting that ottawa is winning this poll. It really does seem as if this forum if dominated by cold lovers. Ottawa is a small boring city with an absolutely disgusting climate in my opinion. when I first moved there, I thought I wouldn't mind the cold but after the first winter I knew I hated it. I knew then that I was a heat lover and once I graduated, I'd high tail it out of there. Not long after, I went to Shenzhen where I had an awesome climatic experience

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
I picked Toronto. Shenzhen seems unbearable in the summer. I'm not a big fan of oceanic climates like Vancouver, so that's off the table, too. But if I had to choose among these cities as places just to spend a summer in, I'd choose Vancouver. Between Toronto and Ottawa, summers seem about the same; although I would have expected Toronto to have somewhat milder summer temperatures, I guess that's not the case. I still picked Toronto because the winters are snowy enough not to be boring, but still significantly milder than Ottawa's winters. I've been to Toronto in January and it didn't feel like a "different kind of cold" to me from what we get here; then again, I haven't spend a whole season there.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 AM

584 posts, read 1,689,066 times
There's no "perfect" place in this world, hence I evaluate the pros and cons in this poll.

I picked Shen Zhen for it's warm climate (though not as warm as South Florida in the winter).

I have been to Hong Kong and area near Shen Zhen in the summer. Yes it is warm/hot but my body adjusted to the "heat" eventually (I am not a choppy person). Its summer (Hong Kong & area) is similar to mid July in Toronto (heat wave in Toronto lasts about 2 weeks in mid July), but I learned to adjust. I occasionally sweated but that's bearable in Hong Kong & area.

The pros ? Oh you wouldn't believe it: You could use Shen Zhen/Hong Kong as a base to see different cultures in East and SE Asia at a much cheaper rates than flying from North America, along with beach days for 9 months or so !

So, a little bit of sweating (if you are exposed under the sun for a period of time) similar to mid July in Toronto but getting all the benefits ...

I vote for Shen Zhen (subtropical) !

Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It's interesting that ottawa is winning this poll. It really does seem as if this forum if dominated by cold lovers. Ottawa is a small boring city with an absolutely disgusting climate in my opinion. when I first moved there, I thought I wouldn't mind the cold but after the first winter I knew I hated it. I knew then that I was a heat lover and once I graduated, I'd high tail it out of there. Not long after, I went to Shenzhen where I had an awesome climatic experience

You could say that, but I tend to think they are drawn to any thread that mentions Canada, one of their dream climate areas.

I would have to go with Toronto for the warm summers, however with that being said I really wouldn't go with any climate colder than my current one. And even though the warmest winter locale in Canada (Pacific Coast) is warmer than here in winter, it isn't warm enough to justify the loss of our warm summer (and ocean water) here. The yearly mean is lower in Vancourver than my area. Nothing really in Canada for me.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,012,406 times
I would have picked Shen Zhen, but would DEFINATELY not want to live in China. So, Vancouver fits the bill much better for me. Much better scenery there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather