Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more wintry
London 18 48.65%
Richmond 19 51.35%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times

Advertisements

1) I'm replying to people's comments to me. They are derailing the thread as much as I am, so why single me out.

2) You are not a moderator or some kind of forum police and have no right to tell me what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troms View Post
We are talking about winter here, and February and December's average wind speed looks just like January's average wind speed.

In Rome the depth is always measured when it snows. Snow measurements are not made on the streets, but on a rain gauge.
Moreover, Rome's average approach 5 cm in its northern outskirts. If you look at the snowfalls history, you would say it isn't more than 1-2 cm. Maybe the average snowfall in Central London is lower than 15 cm given the urban heat island, but the urban area certainly gets more.
15cm would be a huge amount of snow for the suburbs, let alone the centre.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
But Richmond has colder winters, so those occasional warm days must be offset by ridiculously cold days. The average low in Richmond in an average winter month is colder than anything you'd ever see in London (in a cold month).

Richmond averages 17 days over 60F between Dec and Feb. I don't have the numbers for London but that would be an interesting comparison. I doubt Richmond would feel more wintry than London on those type of days. Richmond also averages 4.5 ice days. Not sure how many London averages on that either. I'm pretty sure Richmond gets more ice days.

I still think this is a tough call. I've been in London in the two weeks right after New Years. I thought it pretty mild coming from Philly. But still on certain days I felt really cold with numb hands due to the damp 30's and 40's temps. I remember constantly going into stores to get hot chocolate or hot coffee just to hold the cup to keep my hands warm. Of course in Philly on freezing cold days your hands will fall off without gloves, lol. I'd say both cities can feel mild and wintry throughout the winter months.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
OwenC forgets that the usual -15°C temps and 20ft snowdrifts typical of March in Northern Ireland are not typical of other parts of the UK.

Lol. We have wasted quite of bit of posts on this thread arguing about whether to include March. Every meterologist knows know matter where on the globe we are talking about four seasons defined by three months each. Jeez. March is Spring.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol. We have wasted quite of bit of posts on this thread arguing about whether to include March. Every meterologist knows know matter where on the globe we are talking about four seasons defined by three months each. Jeez. March is Spring.
Yeah exactly. December - January - February = winter in my mind.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
LOL everything I write is a joke!!! Don't let me dig up your infant-like posts from the un happy thread. I'm sorry what are you talking about ''rass'' whats that about? how rude
Hahaha. You wrote that. I quoted you. Lying about who said it just makes you look like even more of a hypocrite and the loser who you are. I didn't even know there was such a word til you used it, because only scummy chavs and uneducated pillocks use that type of language.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Richmond averages 17 days over 60F between Dec and Feb. I don't have the numbers for London but that would be an interesting comparison. I doubt Richmond would feel more wintry than London on those type of days. Richmond also averages 4.5 ice days. Not sure how many London averages on that either. I'm pretty sure Richmond gets more ice days.
London Heathrow doesn't get many days over 60F in winter. In the past 10 winters there have only been 13 such days, mostly in December or February. There are maybe 5x as many 13-14C days though. Central London will probably have more than 13 60F days.

You can get winter months in London with some nice days, though.
http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/L...1998/37790.htm

Heathrow Airport gets 1 ice day per year, central London gets none.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Richmond may have its foot of snow () but the place still gets way warmer than London in an average winter. London's coolness during the winter is more constant and the fact that there's always a lingering risk of drizzle maybe for some people London's more wintry. In Richmond there's relieve from the cold in the form of stupidly warm muggy days while London doesn't get that.

I don't think you can use extreme events either. December 2010 in London would be considered pretty cold here. Richmond averages 7.5 days in winter with lying snow of 1" or more. Richmond receives 90% of winter precip in the form of rain. Richmond is hardly snowy. It would only feel colder than London in the mornings imo, or on the very rare ice day. It would feel a helluva lot warmer than London during those 17 over 60F days with bright higher in the sky sunshine.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
15cm would be a huge amount of snow for the suburbs, let alone the centre.
Would it? I don't think it would. It is quite common to get 15cm.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
I think Richmond feels more wintry than London IMO. More snow and more ice days make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather