Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,350 times

Advertisements

I live in Maine, USA and I have a medical condition where my sweat glands don't always function well. Therefore when it is warm and hot, I am a furnace and have passed out due to just being too hot. I LIKE the cold for this reason. When it is cold, I can make myself warm but when it is warm, I just have to deal with it. I can relax and enjoy myself in the cold. I can exercise and be physical. In the heat I can only really relax in the water.

So yeah, I know it's not the norm, but I like the cold better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I will never like cold weather, so I have just proven you wrong again. And I'm not the only one.

Sorry but don't try to defend you cold lovers and go on about saying we don't understand this that and the other or trying to say what other people like when you are now doing it yourself. What a fail.
What are you talking about? Go back to sleep before you kill yourself trying to think.

Tom77falcons said, and I quote, "Sorry, but I take with a grain a salt folks from Florida going on about how they enjoy winter, etc. Winter in TN is nothing to write home about either. Why don't you folks from FL spend the winter in North Dakota or MN? I'm sure you would enjoy all that fresh air and cold."

And I said, if someone such as Ariete can still enjoy cold, snowy winters, despite living in a place with cold, snowy winters that are also very dark, then pretty much anyone can, even if they are from Florida and have little experience with cold weather, i.e, someone from Florida might hate heat and has the desire to live in North Dakota, even if they've never been - doesn't mean they can't like cold, just because they're never been, and I'm sure many or most people posting on here probably have had experience in their desired climatic preferences.

So what exactly are you talking about?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
About snowbirds... Guess what is the 4th most popular destination for foreigners in Finland? Rovaniemi. The 7th? A muncipality with 6000 inhabitants in Lapland and has only two things: snow and hills.

And guess which nationality has for long being among the most frequent visitors? I can tell you it's an island nation in Europe. No, not Malta.

So the weather tourism goes both ways as well.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The point I am making is - just because you live in Florida, and have no experience with cold weather, doesn't mean you can't like it. Some people may go to North Dakota one winter and discover they really enjoy cold, snowy weather. Heck, even our own weather preferences can change, especially as we get older.
Even a hardline heat lover like dhdh admitted that he prefers -3C and snow over 6C gloom for mainly aesthetic reasons and interest factor.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:14 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
I saw a well known local winter lover, eating a hot pie the other day. I said to him ..."you're a ****** hypocrite man! ... making out like you're the big cold weather tough guy, but stuffing your face with hot food, just because it's 13C/56F and raining, you ****** *********** piece of ****!.

He tried to walk around me, but I punched him in the side of the head, dropping him to the pavement. It was then I noticed his family nervously watching from their car. I felt a bit bad, but ya can't undo what is done.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:16 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
^^ That was quite comical.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think, if someone such as Ariete, who lives in a climate with long, cold winters, can still like cold winters and snow, then I think anyone can.
I respectfully disagree. If that was the case, my climate's winters, which aren't that cold, wouldn't bother me so much. Acclimation never made temperatures of -4C to 8C comfortable to me, nor did it make me enjoy the cold winds that occasionally accompany these temperatures and make you feel freeze dried and numb. I like snow, but cold rain is more common here, I hate the dead landscape, brown slush and salty streets are still unsightly, etc. And once you add in the boredom factor, it makes it all even worse.

Dealing with mass transit is never any fun, but it's ten times worse in the winter, try waiting an hour for a bus in windy 1-3C conditions after the sun goes down, you feel like you're on Pluto. And when it finally arrives everyone's fighting to get on, because they feel like they're dying.

But I'm no cold lover, I don't enjoy shivering, feeling numb, dry skin, frostbite, etc. it isn't for everyone, and the same thing goes for heat, which happens to be for me.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I respectfully disagree. If that was the case, my climate's winters, which aren't that cold, wouldn't bother me so much. Acclimation never made temperatures of -4C to 8C comfortable to me, nor did it make me enjoy the cold winds that occasionally accompany these temperatures and make you feel freeze dried and numb. I like snow, but cold rain is more common here, I hate the dead landscape, brown slush and salty streets are still unsightly, etc. And once you add in the boredom factor, it makes it all even worse.

Dealing with mass transit is never any fun, but it's ten times worse in the winter, try waiting an hour for a bus in windy 1-3C conditions after the sun goes down, you feel like you're on Pluto. And when it finally arrives everyone's fighting to get on, because they feel like they're dying.

But I'm no cold lover, I don't enjoy shivering, feeling numb, dry skin, frostbite, etc. it isn't for everyone, and the same thing goes for heat, which happens to be for me.
And on the flip side I wouldn't want to stand by a bus stop under temperatures around 34c under a blazing sun. It makes me feel weak, drawn out and fed up.
Cold temperatures you can actually wrap up and if it's snowing it makes the surroundings more beautiful looking.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
The idea that people who like winter are hypocrites is laughable.

People can like all sorts of things... even warm beer and cold food in some countries.

Personally, I like variety so four seasons suits me reasonaby well.

Sure there are meteorologically unpleasant days in the winter, but these happen in all seasons including the summer.

I actually like hot and sunny 35C days in summer, but on the other hand 24C and pouring rain, not so mcuh, and -5C with bright sunshine and freshly fallen sparkling snow will make me feel better (and more likely to get out and do stuff) than a rainy summer day will.

I've said this before but I also find that most humans get blasé when they are served an endless supply of what is generally regarded as "good weather" (warm and sunny), and this is even true of Canadians and other people in four season climates where there is I admit a lot of complaining about the winter season.

There is something special about the rush people get when spring arrives, and likewise there is also something special about the first snowfall (provided it does not arrive too early ), or anytime you get those big puffy snowflakes that glisten magically in the moonlight or street lighting...

Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I don't think he meant it in the sense that a heat lover can suddenly start liking cold weather (because that won't ever happen lol)

He's saying it because tom77falcons said that people that live in Florida but like the cold should be discredited because they're from Florida and have never "experienced" cold before.

Which is as ridiculous as me saying Meteoman can't like hot weather because he's from Buxton and has never experienced real heat.

I'm not saying someone like MeteoMan or Infamous is going to start loving cold weather - especially since they live in chilly-cold winter climates already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather