Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What temperature range is necessary for a climate to have 4 seasons?
0-5°C 1 3.57%
5-10°C 5 17.86%
10-15°C 6 21.43%
15-20°C 5 17.86%
20-25°C 6 21.43%
greater than 25°C 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
So Warwick, with it's smaller range than Paris, is more of a 4 season climate? and Brisbane doesn't qualify because it's almost not humid subtropical? - how about Coff's Harbour, firmly Humid subtropical and with a seasonal range of only 10C/20F, is that more of a 4 season climate than Berlin at 19C/38F?

I don't need to Cherry pick, to show the obvious flaws in your argument. I think you are buying into the "season-less Oceanic climate" notion, just a little too readily. I guess you're using Koppen's Humid Subtropical definition, that's sure to mean big inconsistencies.
Why are you still debating Berlin? It is humid continental and that was the definition of a four season climate in my original premise.

Shanghai, Beijing, Washington DC, Atlanta, St. Louis all have four seasons, all in humid subtropical regime. The borders are doubtful but so are the borders between humid continental and subarctic. Is Saguenay Quebec really a four season climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 01:38 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Jan: 6C
Apr: 10C
Jul: 16C
Oct: 12C
thats 2 season climate. autumn and spring, i dont see any summer or winter in your temps.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Oceanic climates are not two season climates in my opinion certainly not. Seattle, London, Paris, Amsterdam and Christchurch are most definitely four season climates maybe not on par has the lights of Toronto or Warsaw but still a four season climate.
Nope, London is not a four season climate. That is ridiculous. You can't distinguish between a cold rainy summer's day and a warm rainy winter's day in London.

Average highs above 80 in summer are a must for a four season climate in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Nope, London is not a four season climate. That is ridiculous. You can't distinguish between a cold rainy summer's day and a warm rainy winter's day in London.
Are you really so arrogant that you will express your opinion as being an undeniable fact? I live in England - and we have four seasons in my eyes. I can tell all four apart easily. If you came here for 12 months and could not, then there is something wrong with you. To be frank, your opinion does not count for anything as far as the people living here are concerned. You do not get to decide what season we have.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Why are you still debating Berlin? It is humid continental and that was the definition of a four season climate in my original premise.

Shanghai, Beijing, Washington DC, Atlanta, St. Louis all have four seasons, all in humid subtropical regime. The borders are doubtful but so are the borders between humid continental and subarctic. Is Saguenay Quebec really a four season climate?
Berlin is Cfb (Oceanic), so by your definition can't be a 4 season climate.

Saguenay is a very strong 4 season climate. A -16C mean in winter to 18C mean in summer, and with well spaced means in spring/autumn, it's a very clearly defined 4 season climate.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 PM

england has 4 seasons but they are just not very extreme, although winter in southern England could easily be classified as autumn in many countries or US states.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
That is what I think. We have four seasons, but they are tepid in all. But, as I said, if you spent a 12-month period here and could not tell the four seasons apart, then there is clearly something very, very wrong with you. Like all other temperate regions, we experience foliage and spring bloom. That alone is enough to make autumn and spring very much separate from winter, not to mention sun angle and daylight.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Average highs above 80 in summer are a must for a four season climate in my opinion.
If it's 20, 30 or 40 half the year, of course 70 feels like summer. Otherwise there's something wrong with you.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
england has 4 seasons but they are just not very extreme, although winter in southern England could easily be classified as autumn in many countries or US states.
With regards to temps, the three months of winter in London resemble November or March here (November being my least favorite month by far). June in London is more like our late April early May or late September early October in terms of temps. London's July/Aug is like mid May or mid September here.

So you can see that coming from a continental climate, it's had to consider oceanic climates truly four seasons. They are, but there aren't very tame.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM

well i grew up in continental climate myself... and now living here i can see 4 seasons, but they are just all very mild... summer is never as nice as in Poland and winter is never as snowy but they do exist.. but Northern Ireland for example does not have 4 seasons in my eyes... if avg july/aug high is not at least 20c then there is no summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather