Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times

Advertisements

If a hurricane is forecast to hit and you're able to reschedule, I'd do that. A hurricane can kind of spoil a vacation like that. Even if the power doesn't go out, you'll be stuck inside. You may not reliably know far enough in advance to do anything about it. The forecast can always change. I had a friend of mine from Canada over my house in late August 2011. He arrived August 21 and was originally supposed to depart on August 27, but that wasn't going to happen because of Hurricane Irene. He only switched his bus tickets on the 26th, the day before it hit, postponing his return back to the 29th. I don't remember exactly when it became clear we were going to get that kind of storm, maybe the day before he changed his travel plans, I don't know. Point is, it's not a decision you'll probably have to make, unless you're about to leave and a hurricane is going to hit the next day or something, in which case postponing the trip is a no brainer. Off topic, but we also had an earthquake when my friend was here, on August 23, so overall he chose an interesting week to come around my neck of the woods, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
If a hurricane is forecast to hit and you're able to reschedule, I'd do that. A hurricane can kind of spoil a vacation like that. Even if the power doesn't go out, you'll be stuck inside. You may not reliably know far enough in advance to do anything about it. The forecast can always change. I had a friend of mine from Canada over my house in late August 2011. He arrived August 21 and was originally supposed to depart on August 27, but that wasn't going to happen because of Hurricane Irene. He only switched his bus tickets on the 26th, the day before it hit, postponing his return back to the 29th. I don't remember exactly when it became clear we were going to get that kind of storm, maybe the day before he changed his travel plans, I don't know. Point is, it's not a decision you'll probably have to make, unless you're about to leave and a hurricane is going to hit the next day or something, in which case postponing the trip is a no brainer. Off topic, but we also had an earthquake when my friend was here, on August 23, so overall he chose an interesting week to come around my neck of the woods, lol.
How far in advance would I know the hurricane was coming? About that quake you had, in California, a quake that size would have been no big deal- in fact, getting an inch of rain in one day is a bigger new story than a moderate size quake for us. I actually enjoy medium sized quakes (4.0 to 5.5 range). Largest quake I remember feeling was a 5.7 and I went into the hallway when I felt the shaking; when the shaking stopped, I went back to playing Guitar Hero. Wouldn't want to feel anything bigger than a 6.5 though cuz I don't want people to get hurt or have major damage.

Likewise, I might want to experience a tropical depression or tropical storm to see what it's like since I have no experience with 'real weather'. But you're prolly right about the hurricane being too much of a trip ruiner. Will just keep checking Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local | Wunderground | Weather Underground hurricane outlook every day before the planned trip, I guess.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
How far in advance would I know the hurricane was coming? About that quake you had, in California, a quake that size would have been no big deal- in fact, getting an inch of rain in one day is a bigger new story than a moderate size quake for us. I actually enjoy medium sized quakes (4.0 to 5.5 range). Largest quake I remember feeling was a 5.7 and I went into the hallway when I felt the shaking; when the shaking stopped, I went back to playing Guitar Hero. Wouldn't want to feel anything bigger than a 6.5 though cuz I don't want people to get hurt or have major damage.

Likewise, I might want to experience a tropical depression or tropical storm to see what it's like since I have no experience with 'real weather'. But you're prolly right about the hurricane being too much of a trip ruiner. Will just keep checking Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local | Wunderground | Weather Underground hurricane outlook every day before the planned trip, I guess.
Strongest quake I've felt was that 5.2 or whatever a couple years ago that caused a huge media sensation here on the east coast, second would be a 5.0 in northern Puerto Rico 2 years ago. Unfortunately we (as in PR) sit 100 miles south of a major subduction zone that experiences megathrust quakes. Just saw USGS recorded a 4.1 quake north of you one hour ago as of this post. Western Puerto Rico recorded 4 tremors and 3 small quakes yesterday all offshore

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 08-27-2013 at 11:37 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I am making my first trip to Florida in the second week of September (changed my mind about originally going in October because it's cheaper in September AND I also get to experience more thunderstorms as October is kinda iffy if I even get to see one at all).

I would like to hear from the weather fans who either currently live in Florida or have lived in Florida.

What are the chances that I'll get to experience the following during my 8 day stay in Florida? I haven't experienced any of the following before.

a) an up close thunderstorm with only a second between the thunderclap and the lightning strike
b) a named tropical storm
c) a hurricane
d) dewpoints over 80 F
e) A great time in all the Florida theme parks
f) A great time swimming at Clearwater beach
g) Being eaten by a gator when going to the swamps.
h) Having such a great time that I plan to visit Florida again within the next few years.

a) Yes, I experienced one at a Disney Waterpark. Annoucment was made that T-storm was on the way so waterslides were evacuated and everyone was made to take cover or leave park. About 40 minutes later, (I opted to stay and take cover), I heard by far the loudest thunder I've ever heard in my life and saw some brilliant streaks of lightning and a heavy downpour. Guess how I reacted?

b) Nope- only had rain 3 out of 8 days and only one brief downpour in the t-storm mentioned above. Other two days were light rain with distant lightning

c) Does this count? Hurricane Experience Exhibit
If so, yes.

d) Highest dewpoint was 77 F with temperatures of 91 F. To be honest, I didn't like it walking around outside in it so spent the afternoons at the waterparks and inside AC rides/shows. I really enjoyed the warm nights though. Made use of my park hopper pass to go to the outside rides in the morning and evening.

e) YES, I loved all the theme parks on Disney, especially Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and the two water parks. WAY bigger and better than Disneyland (which I've been to way too many times). Didn't made it to Universal Studios because there was plenty of stuff to do at WDW and I wanted to use my non-Disney days to explore Florida outside of theme parks.

f) LOVED Clearwater Beach- Water was so nice and warm. Went to the Aquarium first, then had lunch and literally stayed in the water all afternoon til dinner time. Heard a few a few faint rumbles of thunder from a distance and saw a couple of flashes of lightning but the storm was far enough away that we were able to stay in the water. I also liked Cocoa Beach as well- the water was slightly cooler (but not nearly as cold as California's beaches), and there were more waves for boogieboarding.

g) Didn't make it to the Everglades as neither my friend or I were up for a 4 hour drive after being several days of walking around the park all day. Both Clearwater Beach and Cocoa Beach were much shorter drives for us for an escape from the theme parks. We did go to Orlando Airboat Rides & Airboat Tours At Wild Florida Airboats and did an airboat ride, saw some gators in the wild and then actually held a baby alligator at the sanctuary.

h) Will definitely visit Florida again. Maybe next time, make at a 2 week trip so I can visit Universal as well as Disney again and then spend 3 or 4 days in Miami and also maybe drive to the Keys as well. September worked out really well as crowds were low so I'd prolly go in September or October if I went again.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 09-17-2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention i) getting sunburned despite using sunscreen. Never thought I'd ever get a sunburn and run around in a downpour of rain on the same day!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:

d) Highest dewpoint was 77 F with temperatures of 91 F. To be honest, I didn't like it walking around outside in it so spent the afternoons at the waterparks and inside AC rides/shows. I really enjoyed the warm nights though. Made use of my park hopper pass to go to the outside rides in the morning and evening.
We get that last Wednesday.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
We got that, too--it was 93 with a dew point of 77.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather