Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Rating
A 1 7.14%
B 2 14.29%
C 4 28.57%
D 4 28.57%
E 0 0%
F 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 22,965 times

Advertisements

My own "climate poll"-chinati_city.png

This is supposed to be somewhere in the Chinati Mountains in the Big Bend/Trans-Pecos area of Texas, in the small area of the region located south of 30ºN.

I took data from El Paso, various towns throughout the Trans-Pecos, and the Macdonald Observatory at Mount Locke, mixed it when an exaggerated monsoon season and dry season than anything commonly seen in the American Southwest due to its lower latitude, and then some influence from what would be an ideal climate for me. The end result is a borderline Cwb (Subtropical Highland) and Bsk (Cold Semi-arid) that depends on the area. The nearby area that falls within Cwb would be the only subtropical highland climate in the continental US (except for some areas in the Appalachians using European standards of -3ºC instead of 32ºF/0ºC).

According to Köppen maps which I'm too lazy to post at the moment, nowhere in the Southwest or bordering areas of Chihuahua has a Cwb climate- but the maps don't include mountaintops or ridges or valleys- for example, the majority of South American ice caps are not shown.

Basically, trace amounts of snow fall once a decade, or maybe twice during exceptional decades. Measurable amounts fall once every 2 decades or so. Rainfall occurs mostly in the evening in the winter, and at overnight in the summer. (There is no way to include diurnal precipitation maximums/minimums, diurnal variation, and diurnal seasonal difference). In the winter it golds cold enough to be interesting, and hot enough in the summer to enjoy the outdoors without humidity. Any season is apt for enjoying the outdoors (although in winter this would be confined mostly to the daytime).

Days in the winter can regularly get into the 70's or stay in the 50's.

Last edited by American-o; 08-12-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,178,583 times
C. winters too dry and a bit chillier than I like. Summer days are excellent but nights too cold to feel like "summer." Great sunshine hours and summer rain though; does it come in the form of nocturnal thunderstorms?

Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,978,441 times
C-. Too mild in winter and way too dry year round.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
C-. Too mild in winter and way too dry year round.
Those summers don't look that dry to me, although, yes, there are less precipitation days than would be expected for the quantity of rain- this is common in Southwestern summers, and due to the monsoon season.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
C. winters too dry and a bit chillier than I like. Summer days are excellent but nights too cold to feel like "summer." Great sunshine hours and summer rain though; does it come in the form of nocturnal thunderstorms?
Pretty much, although it can sometimes happen in the daytime, but it is mostly at night. Winter precipitation is earlier, mostly in the late afternoon/evening.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:55 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,461,068 times
F, the very low humidity and almost constant sunshine is a nightmare.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
F, the very low humidity and almost constant sunshine is a nightmare.
Yes, it is near the heart of then American Sun Belt, but to avoid confusions, that was percent possible sunshine and not the hour totals.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM

I never would have guessed there were so many cold lovers on here. I don't really think anywhere in Texas outside of the panhandle would be satisfactory for cold-enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:24 PM

680 posts, read 649,675 times
B

Actually looks pretty good to me, the summers look near ideal for a more seasonal climate but I'm not a huge fan of a strong monsoon pattern so that is a minus for this climate. I like the winters although the lows could be lower with more snow but still plenty of sun and it'd be a huge plus. Still not a bad climate...

Old 08-12-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
B

Actually looks pretty good to me, the summers look near ideal for a more seasonal climate but I'm not a huge fan of a strong monsoon pattern so that is a minus for this climate. I like the winters although the lows could be lower with more snow but still plenty of sun and it'd be a huge plus. Still not a bad climate...
There are very high elevations in the Trans-Pecos area (as in, up to 8,000 feet) that get very little or no snow. There is nowhere in the region, except perhaps the Guadalupe Moutains, in which at least one snowfall every winter is guaranteed 100%, and by "snow" I mean including a trace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather