Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Lol, plenty of south Florida posters came out of the woodwork with this topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, plenty of south Florida posters came out of the woodwork with this topic
yep unfortunately the invention of A/C caused a lot of our local residents to just turn on the A/C rather than deal with the heat so their heat tolerance has been reduced. I on the other hand have no intention paying 250$ per month for A/C so I turn it of when i'm gone and have it set at 80 when I"m home except 77f when i'm going to bed.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
yep unfortunately the invention of A/C caused a lot of our local residents to just turn on the A/C rather than deal with the heat so their heat tolerance has been reduced. I on the other hand have no intention paying 250$ per month for A/C so I turn it of when i'm gone and have it set at 80 when I"m home except 77f when i'm going to bed.
A lot of us south Floridians can tolerate the heat just fine, I'm out playing basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc every day.....we just don't like it. Simple as that. I tolerate the heat fine, I just don't like it.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

They say that is more costly than just leaving it set at something like 77 all the time. When I first moved to Florida my wife and I were at work all day so we would put the ac high and then turn it on when we got home. Our bills were still high because it took the ac a while to cool off the walls, the furniture, the carpeting, etc. Our ac guy said we were doing it wrong.

Now we keep our house on 76 all the time and kick it down to 75 or 74 at night to sleep, then back to 76 the next morning.

Don

Old 08-23-2013, 01:49 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times
I have a pool, so I'd use that to keep cool during the day. At night, I guess I would just climb in the SUV and sleep there with the engine running and AC on until the power was restored. My seats recline almost flat, so it can be pretty comfortable in there. I've slept in there a few times when I've done some cross country trips in the past.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
I'd sleep on a cigar boat (like the ones on Miami Vice). I would set it on autopilot and race around the harbour all night at 45mph. The cooler sea air combined with the speed of the boat, would make for refreshing sleeping temperatures.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
A lot of us south Floridians can tolerate the heat just fine, I'm out playing basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc every day.....we just don't like it. Simple as that. I tolerate the heat fine, I just don't like it.

My dad's sister moved to Hollywood FL from this area in 1968. When I visited her a few years back after she had lived there for years she told me she rarely used air con even in summer. She was pretty cold sensitive though. I remember walking outside her house on a cloudy, windy January day with temps around mid 70's and she was wrapping her arms around herself complaining about being "chilly". I had come from Philly so was in t-shirt and it felt balmy to me.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
Die a Miserable death

LOL Love your name. I'd be melting melting. Oh what a world. What about the animals?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
I'd get a high powered fan, even then not sure I'd sleep well. Comfortable enough when awake but find it hard to sleep when very hot and/or humid. Thankfully most nights here are comfortable enough, generally dry and below 20C except on the hottest night (<20 year).

Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
My dad's sister moved to Hollywood FL from this area in 1968. When I visited her a few years back after she had lived there for years she told me she rarely used air con even in summer. She was pretty cold sensitive though. I remember walking outside her house on a cloudy, windy January day with temps around mid 70's and she was wrapping her arms around herself complaining about being "chilly". I had come from Philly so was in t-shirt and it felt balmy to me.
Small world I lived in Hollywood for 12 years , yes there a lot of people like that down there too, though honestly for the most part I noticed a lot more people preferred winter to summer down there (but I feel like most people would prefer 70 F to 90 F anyhow). I honestly felt an average winter day (75 F for a high, 57-58 F for a low) was still quite warm to me, I guess I'm rare in the sense that I feel more pleasant on a 30 F windy day than a hot, humid 90-95 F degree day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather