Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Honestly I'm not expecting much in the way of greenery until I'm right on the coast. Based on streetview it just looks as dead as around here. So, I have low expectations. Now if I were going to Barcelona I would be surrounded by palms and flowers and green parrots in the trees, etc. And yet further north than Philadelphia. Good ol North America climate fail when a place like Macon, GA in the deep south looks more like northern Scotland in winter.

Again with this? You Have to Now that the Deciduous trees in South are an relic of the last Glaciation,where the trees from the north migrated to south to Survive,when the climate became warmer,they reoccupied the frozen area again,but stayed in south because they find an suitable climate to live.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:19 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Again with this? You Have to Now that the Deciduous trees in South are an relic of the last Glaciation,where the trees from the north migrated to south to Survive,when the climate became warmer,they reoccupied the frozen area again,but stayed in south because they find an suitable climate to live.
Why even try to respond to someone who posts **** like this?

Quote:
public plantings of palms even in Savannah, GA is just not done.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 PM

881 posts, read 646,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
There are lots of Washingtonia's & Phoenix canariensis in Melbourne & you can grow tons of different types of palm there too due to the lack of frost & snow...
I know, but they are far more widespread here and in Melbourne they dont grow in the epic fashion like in the pics I posted. Unlike in Melbourne, they have naturalised themselves here.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfront Factory View Post
I know, but they are far more widespread here and in Melbourne they dont grow in the epic fashion like in the pics I posted. Unlike in Melbourne, they have naturalised themselves here.
I think Renmark and areas, have more W filifera, which isn't that tolerant of wetter, cooler climates - I've have one, but the leaves go spotty over winter, and come right during summer.

W Robusta, will produce seedlings in Melbourne, and are quick growing there/here. 10 Year old ones, would be 20 ft plus here. I think I've seen bigger Robusta in Auckland, Tauranga etc, than I have in Australia -probably ones planted in the late 1800s

Last edited by Joe90; 01-07-2016 at 10:22 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 10:30 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Is it in the ground? What do you use to protect it?
Yep. It's small so I just use large plant pot to cover it over. I haven't had to protect it from cold yet, but in the event that I have to I plan on surrounding it with a few jugs of water, which would keep the palm warmer than the outside temperature until they froze all the way through. I figure that should work, at least for a night.

Quote:
FYI, loads of windmills have been killed the last few winters down in coastal Delaware. They are not hardy north of VA Beach. They were even killed outright in Washington DC.
I'm not surprised, the last couple of winters have featured some harsh conditions, Feb 2015 was the coldest month on record here. That doesn't tell me much about their performance in an average winter though. I've personally seen windmills survive in NYC, in some of the most unideal locations like north facing walls or out in the open. I think they should be okay in a good spot, and would benefit from some protection during the bad years, they're marginal, if you want something fully reliable in zone 7 a Needle Palm or a Sabal minor would be a better choice.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:33 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
FYI, loads of windmills have been killed the last few winters down in coastal Delaware. They are not hardy north of VA Beach. They were even killed outright in Washington DC.
they do great here unprotected every single year. only temps that are dangerous to them are low single digits.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:35 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Honestly I'm not expecting much in the way of greenery until I'm right on the coast. Based on streetview it just looks as dead as around here. So, I have low expectations. Now if I were going to Barcelona I would be surrounded by palms and flowers and green parrots in the trees, etc. And yet further north than Philadelphia. Good ol North America climate fail when a place like Macon, GA in the deep south looks more like northern Scotland in winter.
now I wouldn't say it looks like northern Scotland. We certainly overall have far more trees than Scotland including more evergreens and also more deciduous.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:39 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfront Factory View Post
I have a friend who lives in Melbourne (Wantirna) & he is a palm freak like me, he's sent me loads of photos of awesome palms growing all around Melbourne over the years, I guess you have to know where to look, some quite rare & tender ones too...

Washingtonia robusta have naturalised into the wild here, along with Phoenix canariensis & Phoenix dactylifera. Chamaerops humilis is native to Malta, but is virtually extinct now in the wild. I understand there are a few protected ones left, but thankfully they are being re-introduced into the wild as young palms have been germinated from seeds from a massive old clump growing in the gardens of San Anton Palace, of which DNA tests showed it was a native Maltese palm...

Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Chamaerops humilis is native to Malta, but is virtually extinct now in the wild.
Those are the ones in front of Jackson Square in New Orleans I think.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:36 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Those are the ones in front of Jackson Square in New Orleans I think.
If it's these, then yes they are Chamaerops humilis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather