Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:04 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They are everywhere and it has to stop. If it doesn't stop soon I'll be obliged to take matters into my own hands. I have already warned my neighbour that if he doesn't dispose of his 2-foot Trachy I'll chop it down myself.
Sounds like you are itching to move Northern Sweden where no trachys will ever be seen
England is just too mild for you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I didn't know that, I've never seen them in NYC or here.

London Planes look sickly by mid-summer, I don't know if it's the heat, or if that's just the way they are, but I don't like it, especially since they're one of the last trees to leaf out in the spring. And I love pines, but Virginia Pines generally look unsightly, I'm not a fan of them.
Virginia pines look a little strange I guess, but I like them. I guess that's a good thing, because they're pretty common around here

Old 06-14-2016, 11:07 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
the redwoods in northern california and pacific northwest and the oak alleys in the southern mansions , would love to see the jacaranda in pretoria

Old 06-14-2016, 02:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
We have lots of those jacarandas in Orange County, particularly in older neighborhoods. On the one hand they are gorgeous when blooming, and on the other they are incredibly messy. The flowers fall all over and are sticky. You do not ever want to park a car under a blooming jacaranda tree. Later, the seed pods are large and look like castanets, and they fall all over. Then, the leaves fall too. Jacarandas are one of those trees that you love to admire...from afar.

My favorites: orange trees and other citrus, because they smell so wonderful when they are blooming.

Pepper trees, a bit messy, but so big and beautiful.

Olive trees, also a bit messy (we had three when I was growing up, and if they weren't trimmed at the right time of year, there would be squishy purple olives on the ground everywhere), but attractive and just right for our climate.

I don't have a least favorite.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:23 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
I like windmill palms, they look nice. But that is probably because I don't suffer from them here.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:33 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We have lots of those jacarandas in Orange County, particularly in older neighborhoods. On the one hand they are gorgeous when blooming, and on the other they are incredibly messy. The flowers fall all over and are sticky. You do not ever want to park a car under a blooming jacaranda tree. Later, the seed pods are large and look like castanets, and they fall all over. Then, the leaves fall too. Jacarandas are one of those trees that you love to admire...from afar.

My favorites: orange trees and other citrus, because they smell so wonderful when they are blooming.

Pepper trees, a bit messy, but so big and beautiful.

Olive trees, also a bit messy (we had three when I was growing up, and if they weren't trimmed at the right time of year, there would be squishy purple olives on the ground everywhere), but attractive and just right for our climate.

I don't have a least favorite.
I agree about jacarandas,we have them in florida and they look good but are like gum or sappy type stuff on cars, total mess on the ground underneath them walking on a sidewalk, sort of a sap like stuff that is horrible to get off shoes. probably wouldnt want them in my neighborhood but they look great. I have heard that about olive trees too, really can be a mess with a pool nearby. Cleaning a pool is tough work sometimes and so many trees that look great can clog a spa filter or a mess to clean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather