Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like this scenario instead?
Yes I would like this very much 2 50.00%
No way! This sucks 2 50.00%
Still undecided... 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

What would you think of the following scenario:

The Arctic Ocean is almost completely filled in and Eurasia and North America are linked by land. Basically the land bridge extends from Greenland all the way past Svalbard to Novaya Zemlya off the Russian north coast. The northern coast of Scandinavia are still on the water.

The topography of this new Arctic Ocean land bridge is mostly low rolling hills... highest elevation would be about 500 metres (1600 feet).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I wonder if this new land bridge would cause the reemergence of huge ice sheets over North America...

Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder if this new land bridge would cause the reemergence of huge ice sheets over North America...
Well I don't think that North America would get huge ice sheets, but an ice sheet would probably replace most of the present day boreal forest. The continent would become a lot colder, especially in winter. Kansas would probably have North Dakota-style winters, and Dallas would get Kansas winters. I see lots of ocean-effect snow on the Gulf Coast as well.

There was a scenario on here that had a 33,000 foot plateau instead of the Arctic Ocean... I think the Laurentide Ice Sheet would become gigantic. Very cold winters would extend as far south as the Mexican border, and South Florida would be more like NYC in terms of climate. But that was a different scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather