Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Chicago
London 34 39.53%
Chicago 52 60.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM

13,479 posts, read 9,019,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
CIDP are fine even in Madrid far from the sea at 650masl, just as loquats, just as Washingtonia palm trees (not sure if those ones grow in London as they need quite warmth if they receive cool or cold temps).

So yes, CIDP growing is not something exceptional. In Madrid some years they can get some light leaf damage on the leaf tips but they still fruit and grow big. I posted lots of photos of them in this forum btw.
Washingtonias grow in London as well as other mild southern coastal areas. They don't need heat to grow at all & even if damaged by winter frosts they will push out a whole new crown of leaves during the following summer... There is a tall old one even growing on Tresco, Isles of Scilly.

This one is in Wimbledon, SW London:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
CIDP's are pretty tough. Washingtonia less so and will defoliate with temps in the -8C to -6C range. Even CIDP will defoliate with temps in the -9C range, especially if those temps are combined with a high temp below freezing. They usually recover though and will take two years to get a new full crown. Washingtonia will get new fronds by that summer and recover much quicker.
It's very rare to see temps under -6ºC in Madrid (Madrid city). The Retiro park AEMET station (which is in the middle of the biggest green lung of Madrid, the Madrid's "central park") never went under -7.4ºC from 1971 to 2017 (1985).

Even Cuatro Vientos airport (SW suburbs) never went under -8.0ºC from 1972 to 2017 and it was in 1985 too (although it reached -8.6ºC in 1971). Getafe station reached -9.2ºC in 1983, being the coldest from 1971 to 2017.

Madrid is 9a in the Hardiness zone, just as Marseille which is straight on the Mediterranean coast! In fact Marseille has a much lower recorded extreme than Madrid (if we take the station of Madrid - Retiro).

The main airport of Madrid (Barajas) which is in the NE of the city did record lower temps than the ones mentioned above in the 1971-2017 term, but near Barajas you can find a few CIDP and Trashycarpus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Washingtonias grow in London as well as other mild southern coastal areas. They don't need heat to grow at all & even if damaged by winter frosts they will push out a whole new crown of leaves during the following summer... There is a tall old one even growing on Tresco, Isles of Scilly.

This one is in Wimbledon, SW London:
That's near a 2 storied house probably protecting it from cooler winds. It's also a Filifera, which are hardier. Can you find something like this in London? (just asking, not challenging or something )

Some more Washingtonias which I found on the web in Madrid:

Old 05-22-2017, 12:21 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,368,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
Madrid is warmer and sunnier year round than London. CIDPs should be doing better there than in London.
CIDPs probably do better there as it warms up more in the day ,but it's the overnight cold they don't like and Madrid and London get 'extreme' cold in equal measures - can't be arsed to look -but i think Madrid may get colder nights -i'm sure they do

Old 05-22-2017, 12:32 PM

I found those big ones in Ibi, Alicante province, a city at almost 900m of altitude. Although CIDP are more common in this place, btw.

I also found a Syagrus near this place, this Syagrus is at ~700m of altitude, and it has also an interesting palm near the fence which looks more "subtropical", can you ID it please?

Btw this climate is warmer than Madrid, of course. January is about 13/4. Although those palms are not on the UHI zone of this small city as it's in a detached house.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:34 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,053 times
Newflash: Spain has palms.

Any excuse for Junter to get his photo albums out

Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
That's near a 2 storied house probably protecting it from cooler winds. It's also a Filifera, which are hardier. Can you find something like this in London? (just asking, not challenging or something )
I don't think it's a filifera, more likely a filibusta hybrid, which most in cultivation tend to be. There are lots growing around London & the milder parts of the UK, in the open too. Don't forget the mildest parts of the UK are zone 9b...

Old 05-22-2017, 12:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Loquat fruit is delicious by the way. When do they ripen in the UK? Over here in the Southern US they are the first fruit in spring. When I was in Columbia SC in late January they were already visible on the tree but small.
Loquats seem to be grown as rat food mostly. Even though they fruit well here , I don't think I've ever seen anyone gathering them, or seen them sitting in a fruit bowl.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Newflash: Spain has palms.

Any excuse for Junter to get his photo albums out
Those are Google Maps pics lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I don't think it's a filifera, more likely a filibusta hybrid, which most in cultivation tend to be. There are lots growing around London & the milder parts of the UK, in the open too. Don't forget the mildest parts of the UK are zone 9b...
I heard a few times about the Filibusta palms, in palmtalk and in gardenweb, what's that exactly, an hybrid between Filiferas and Robustas?
It's not an official breed of Washingtonias, right? but there are also many hybrid palms which haven't got official names, btw.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I heard a few times about the Filibusta palms, in palmtalk and in gardenweb, what's that exactly, an hybrid between Filiferas and Robustas?
It's not an official breed of Washingtonias, right? but there are also many hybrid palms which haven't got official names, btw.
Yes a hybrid between filifera & robusta. Because both palms have been grown in close proximity for so long it is thought that most in cultivation are filibustas, it is very hard to find actual pure Washingtonias now. These hybrids can have traits from either parent, so a thicker trunk doesn't mean it is a pure filifera & a thinner trunk a robusta...

Old 05-22-2017, 12:56 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
CIDP trees are fine in London -it isn't THAT cold there .

They grow in Nice -where you wouldn't expect much else ,which i think is about 3,4 or 5 degrees milder in winter depending on time of day etc
Try almost 10 degrees warmer than London in winter almost. Nice is FAR warmer than London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather