Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Chicago
London 34 39.53%
Chicago 52 60.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times

Advertisements

Most people assume that it's rainy and windy all the time in the winter, when it's no windier than any other major city in Europe or the US. January is the month where it rains for the longest, but even then it's more likely to be sunny than raining (61 sunny hours vs 51 rainy hours).

A more accurate description of London in winter is cloudy and dry, rather than wet and windy.

5 months of death and gloom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I can't understand how anyone could prefer a wet windy rainy quagmire instead of a nice clear dry -3C. We go below -20C a couple of nights a year, and most of us are asleep when those occur.

Dry frozen air is a rarity here, as the average humidity in winter is 90%. A calm -3C is much more comfortable than a breezy and above all, wet, 5C.

In any case, a wintery landscape is aesthetically much more appealing than five months of neverending death and gloom.
Like I said - youre just stereotyping - do you honestly believe that London is constantly a wet / windy quagmire all winter? I don't know how Helsinki compares in sunshine hours or rain hours in the winter months to London? as Ben87 said the actual time it rains in London is less than 10%, Helsinki however is a lot colder. I am sorry but I have been in Croatia (Zagreb) in December and it is not pleasant.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Most people assume that it's rainy and windy all the time in the winter, when it's no windier than any other major city in Europe or the US. January is the month where it rains for the longest, but even then it's more likely to be sunny than raining (61 sunny hours vs 51 rainy hours).

A more accurate description of London in winter is cloudy and dry, rather than wet and windy.

5 months of death and gloom?
Either way, it's too boring for me, like most of the UK. Everything else is pretty insignificant. I am not interested in which climate is the most comfortable because they are boring and lack visual interest. In London, it's usually - cloudy and dry in January, perhaps breezy, very little snow, and sunny spells/intervals in July and dry again, maybe with a thunderstorm or two but not much, mostly generic showers.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Either way, it's too boring for me, like most of the UK. Everything else is pretty insignificant.
Thats fair enough Dunno, but Ariete's post just goes to show how even people from places like Helsinki seem to think that somehow London's weather is worse than theirs!! Neverending death and gloom I think was the term used........I mean cmon!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
I too don't understand how some people perfer climates with extremes. I'm sure if many of these people were to actually move somewhere with scorching, unbearably hot summers & bone chilling winters with feet of snow they would be longing to be back in the much more comfortable climate of the UK

Going about your day to day life, (trying to get to work etc..) is bad enough when we get an inch of snow over here, imagine having to dig you car out of 4ft of laying snow?!? It may seem like fun, but I'm pretty sure it isn't in reality...

Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I too don't understand how some people perfer climates with extremes. I'm sure if many of these people were to actually move somewhere with scorching, unbearably hot summers & bone chilling winters with feet of snow they would be longing to be back in the much more comfortable climate of the UK

Going about your day to day life, (trying to get to work etc..) is bad enough when we get an inch of snow over here, imagine having to dig you car out of 4ft of laying snow?!? It may seem like fun, but I'm pretty sure it isn't in reality...
Well, I don't understand how anyone can have an interest in weather when the only weather they want is warm and sunny. I could not imagine myself developing an interest in meteorology if I lived in a very sunny, warm and dry climate like San Diego - there would be nothing to talk about, besides 'oh, look, a cloud passed by' or 'a sprinkling of rain!'.

Most people have also experienced the weather they want - and in countries where extreme weather is common, they are usually better equipped to deal with it. And either way, shoveling snow is fun and a great form of exercise! Maybe that's why Aussies are so big compared to Scandinavians - they just lounge by the beach eating shrimp.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't understand how anyone can have an interest in weather when the only weather they want is warm and sunny.
Its horses for courses Dunno, of course anyone can like the weather they like, and if you like cold weather then of course its fine, however there is a much longer list of negatives to freezing weather compared to sunny warm weather so therefore I would expect a majority of people to prefer living somewhere where the temperature tends not to drop below freezing for half of the year :-).

Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Sure, the majority of the population will prefer warm, sunny weather, but as you can probably tell, that is not true on weather forums. Weather enthusiasts usually prefer the extremes, especially in tepid climates like the UK.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Sure, the majority of the population will prefer warm, sunny weather, but as you can probably tell, that is not true on weather forums. Weather enthusiasts usually prefer the extremes, especially in tepid climates like the UK.
OK fair enough, but I am sure you will agree that 'Neverending death and gloom' is not really an accurate way to describe the weather in London! Particularly when you take into account it was said by somebody from Finland! lol

Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Quote:
I could argue that the people who only come onto the forum in winter (like netweather.tv) are not real weather lovers because they only like cold and snow and nothing else.

People can still be weather enthusiasts and not like the sensation of being cold, thus preferring warmer weather all the time, but if they're like me they still see the interest in blizzards, windstorms, thunderstorms and all sorts of weather. I just want anything cold related to make a very tiny portion of my preferred climate. I don't mind a couple of days with snow and cold in winter, but the rest of the time yes I'll have cloudy and 9-10°C please, because I detest feeling cold.
Doesn't make me any less a weather enthusiast than someone who likes cold and snow.

In fact most of them bugger off for the summer because they lose interest in weather, they're the phony "weather fans", they're just snow and cold creamers. I'm interested in all weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather