Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

I like the heat.

You never have to scrape "the heat" off your windshield when you get off work from nightshift.

Also, even on the most extreme days in summer, there is some relief once the sun sets or very early in the morning.

Minneapolis TV is forecasting 48 continuous hours next week when the temp will not get above zero.

We had that already in December where I live (120 miles NW of Minneapolis)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
I'm definitely tired of the cold, as if you couldn't tell. I was ready for spring by Dec. 1st and Dec. ended up being a cold month for us.

Marmac, I didn't realize that you live north of the Twin Cities. OMG!!! It gets colder there then it does here. One Christmas we had to sit in a plane there and it seemed like forever. Finally they told us that the shute had frozen to the plane and they had a hard time getting it off. It was cold here when we left Sx. Falls, but it was even worse over there. I don't blame you for heading south in the near future. Do you know what city you'll be relocating to? I know the state, but not the city.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
This winter has been a corker so far but I don't mind it that much. My 2nd winter in Two Rivers and other than all the snow we had in December (winter season total in one month), not that different from NE Illinois. A little more snow, a little colder, the arctic blast next week will affect everyone!

People here just get out and do their thing. Point Beach State Forest, Woodland Dunes, the Zoo have things going on almost every weekend, outdoors unless its really ugly. I'm going to the Point for a candlelight hike, cross country ski and snowshoe event. I'm also going to Woodland Dunes for an evening hike one weekend. The zoo is small but fun to go to in the winter, park itself is nice to walk even without the animals!

Two Rivers has a huge kite event over Labor Day weekend, and in the winter they put it on a smaller scale but its still alot of fun. People don't really hibernate here in the winter, they get out and about.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Jammie--------in the Fort Payne vicinity.

About 50 miles down I-59 from Chattanooga TN

Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Haha. Wow. Thanks for the had up. I heard of lake shore drive. Is the main shopping on Michogan Ave?
Lake Shore Drive runs along the lake, giving great views of downtown, Lake Michigan and the beaches along the way. Traffic generally flows pretty well along that road, too. And yes, Michigan Avenue has TONS of shopping/dining. Its almost overwhelming, even to people like me who have traversed that street a million times. Oak Street also has good shopping, but more of the high-end shops. Er, you can also find many high-end stores on Michigan (ie Cartier, Burberry, Zegna, etc), but Oak Street has more. State Street also has some decent shopping and is really cool around Christmas time.

I would agree that Chicago is very clean for its size. The downtown area is amongst the cleanest youll find. Now, some rough neighborhoods around the city are disgustingly dirty, sadly.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Jammie--------in the Fort Payne vicinity.

About 50 miles down I-59 from Chattanooga TN
You're lucky because at least you have your area found. My fave area is suffering terribly right now with the economic downturn so we HAVE to stay right here for now. I know you'd hoped to be there this winter so are you thinking about next autumn?

Yup, what Steve said~we've been to Chicago several times and it is a nice, clean city. WAY too much traffic and WAY too many people for us, but it is a nice place.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Yah Jammie,

Living so close to the lake, Cleveland and the snowbelt is getting quite tiressome. We got hit with about 6-7" lastnite and now its time for another round tonite. I don't care for the cold, but I do like looking at the snow. We need for the ground to freeze and stay that way for atleast 30 days to help kill the bad bacteria, tape warms and flees. And it help to drive to nutrients deep into the earth for the farmers, so they'll have good crops. But I am ready for summer, hopefully one day we'll be moveing to the eastern end of Oklahoma, in green contry and get out of this God foresaken state.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM

SeeBee, eastern OK is nice, isn't it? I follow their winters and they really are much better then up this way. Have you decided on which town you like? We just love Grove and it's on our list. Just yesterday I was reading posts from a member who was originally debating between two places and Grove had been one of them. He's now decided on an area by the Tx./La. border near a lake just like Grand Lake. It seems to be a bit warmer down there with no ice storms and the COL appears to be a bit lower, too. Sounds interesting.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Cool Muskogee/Cherokee county area

Yah, we've been looking into places around Ten Killer lake, Muskogee area. We like to camp "trailor RV style" no hard ground for these old bones. And we're getting into canoeing as well as bikes, the both of us like the out doors and nature. So finding something around that area is our best bet.
And we've been watching the weather closely around that area too, via the weather channel on our computer. I can deal with a little ice storms and electric failure, thats what they make generators for. Its the snow and constant cold that starting to wear on us here in northern Ohio. Besides, when I carry a gun up here, its not for the four legged animals, its for the two legged type. Both of us have just gotten to the point were we hate this whole northern region.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Here's the deal in my opinion. First of all let me say that I'd pick the 95 degree humid day in a heartbeat if given the choice between that and 25 degrees and windy.

So, 95 and humid can certainly be a bit uncomfortable. So what's wrong with sitting on the shaded porch with the ceiling fan on sipping lemonade and whiling the afternoon away in conversation, napping or with a good book. Keeping in mind that after a few hours of peak heat in the afternoon it will start to cool off later in the day.

Now, compare that to your 25 degree windy scenario. There is NO way you're going to be sitting out on the porch/deck sipping lemonade. You'll be forced inside, that's a given. You can be outside skiing or sledding or something...but that cold wind is gonna be raw no matter how well you dress. Secondly, the 25 degrees is only going to apply during the peak "heat" of the day. Keeping in mind it's going to be colder on either side of 2 or 3 PM and sinking very rapidly to even more uncomfortable tempatures.

So, your 95 humid day gets more comfortable on either side of 2or 3 PM whereas your 25 windy scenario gets even colder on either side of peak temp time of 2 or 3 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather